Author Topic: Mould heating...  (Read 349 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Mould heating...
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »
 A hot topic here lately with CW's multiple 1" moulds, my 12ga, and balls-a-plenty in all sizes.

So... How do you boys keep yer balls from wrinklin'? :D

I have:

1) Used a propane torch (takes one hand away from the work to light, or is a waste of gas if kept burning. Can be tipped over easily)
 2) Set on top of the pot (not hot enough for larger moulds)
 3) Dipped into the molten lead (can mess up the mould with gunk)

One here suggested a hotplate (good ideer), but if I have an electric pot, hotplate and other things going, I trip a breaker. >:(

I may have inadvertantly come up with a cheap, simple, relatively safe alternative. It's even "green"; it uses a carbon-neutral renewable energy source and recycleable aluminum cans. Leaves no residue on the mould either.

Behold.... The tin-can-alcohol-burning-ball-unwrinkler...

It's actually a small backpacking stove I put together, but it might be useful for heating moulds along with a simple stand. Burns for 1/2 hr+ on one fill, and can be refilled for a few cents as many times as needed.

Best of all, it can use CW's favorite cutting fluid (Methyl alcohol), denatured, or ethtyl.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Mould heating...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:30:52 AM »
COOL!

NO wick!  Nice design.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Mould heating...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
Actually you can go on ebone and do a search for laboratory heaters. Come in different sizes and shapes. Stick the mold on it to preheat it and stop wasteing time and lead getting the mold up to temp and then start to get good mold fillout. The one I have is circular about 4" in diameter and the temp switch is calibrated in degrees. Hope this helps. Frank