Author Topic: think I got a good deal  (Read 674 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
think I got a good deal
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
was bumming about town today and ran into one of the local gun shops, turns out they had this pietta made 51 navy .44 on the shelf, for 169.oo so I check again around town, and the same gun with a brass frame was running 249.00.

So I run back, get the gun, turns out they are having an easter sale of some sort and I get it out the door for 149 and tax.

now to decide on my next purchase, going to order one tonight, just havent made up my mind yet.

This is a dumb question, was thinking of taking this out coyote hunting with me, what range am I looking at with this? 20-30yds?
the way things are going Im not going to get one in that close, I just think if the opportunity arose, it would be very cool, same question with the .36 cal, Id assume closer but my only trophy with my .36 so far is a few rabbits.

Thanks again

Dave

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: think I got a good deal
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase, Kal. You made a "good deal" on the pistol, especially if it has a steel frame! It certainly has more power than your .36 and should be "lethal" on coyotes.  Considering that the Navy 1851 in a .36 caliber was "Wild Bill" Hickocks favorite gun, he made his longest recorded "kill" on a man well over 50 yards! Your .44 would not have a problem taking down a coyote at that range due to power; however, hitting a target that far with its "primitive" sights might be of concern. It just means you may have to practise enough to be confident of your "hits"! Good luck!

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:35 AM »
Congrats on your great deal.  I would definitely frequent that store.  I've got the Ruger Old Army in 44 and have taken rabbits and feral dogs with it out to 30 yds with no problem.  Practice with a target area the size of your intended game and extend your yardage til you're not in the kill zone consistantly and you will know your limit. Good luck and happy shooting.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »
They shoot amazingly straight for a long ways.  How long?    ???   75 yards just to stay within reason.  :P  Keep the loads consistant, ;) tweak your sighting techniques   8)  ,  and you'll find your comfort range.    ;D
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »
thanks for the replies, Im looking forward to getting some free time to get out and shoot this thing. I was always more of a fan of the army models until I really had time to hold this one in my hands, the grip is far more comfortable and seems to balance better, I cant wait to try it out.

Thanks again

Dave

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »
you may have to play with the sights.  A lot of replicas shoot high and a higher front sight is required.  I have a Piatta 1858 Remington 44 that I shoot a lot and have put a dovetail front sight on it and adjusted it so that with 28 gr of GOEX FFFG in shoots to point of aim at 50 yards.  The same load hits the center of a 25 yard pistol target with a six o;clock hold at 25 yards.  You may have to do something similar to your revolver to get it on target.  My revolver with a little care can hit a 12 inc plate at 100 yards five out of six times fairly regularly by holding at the top of the plate.