Author Topic: Double Charging, Loud Booms and SCARY Lessons Learned  (Read 463 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Double Charging, Loud Booms and SCARY Lessons Learned
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
First, I have been handloading for over 25 years.  I am extremely dedicated to perfection, and safety.  I have handloaded probably 30,000 rounds on a single stage press, without even a minor mishap.

Now the lesson learned.

I am new to progressive reloading, having initiated the practice about 2 months ago.  I have since loaded about 3500 rounds progressively.  I am diligent to watch each step, each pull.  However, sometimes we progressive reloaders get a tight primer pocket, or a bent rim, or some other defect in material that can partially jam the shell plate.

IT IS AT THIS TIME THAT I LEARNED, AND NOW KNOW, THAT EVERYTHING MUST STOP RIGHT THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a beginner, when I first experienced this type of jam, I worked to clear the jam that occured WITHOUT clearing the machine of cases, and then starting over.  I will NEVER do that again, because in my efforts to clear the jam, I charged a case twice.  Worse yet, I didn't catch it.

Because of our graceful God, it was just a slight overcharge, because I am loading plinkers most of the time.  When I fired, it was very obvious, and scary.

I immediately stopped, clear my weapon, and completely tore the pistol down, inspecting each part thoroughly for damage, then sighed a sigh of gratitude and relief, because I was still breathing and my firearm was undamaged.

I post this because I am not ashamed to admit a big mistake, and to hopefully help other newbies to reloading to remain vigilent, focus, and think safety above all else.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Double Charging, Loud Booms and SCARY Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
Glad to hear you are OK, skarke. Thanks for sharing your episode. This is the stuff that needs to be told from time to time so we all stay sharp when reloading. I'm just happy you or anyone else was not injured. Praise the Lord.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
Glad your OK!!!
 Progressives can be "cantankerous" the result is generally what you have found.. double charges. All you can do is what you already found out. ANYTHING happens, STOP and check, specifically check that powder charge!!!

Just goes to show, bad things can happen to good people!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:54 AM »
I am glad you are safe too. I have made it to the progressive press stage yet - still using my single stage press. I would have to reteach myself (like you) reloading. I am not sure on this, but don't they make a powder level measure device? It seems I have read some where that it mounts on your progressive to determine if you have a double charge or not. I maybe off on this or it some thing you can only get on certain presses. Anyway, I am glad you were no injured.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »
Things could have turned out much worse. I try to keep my reloading room free of distractions.
I do not consider a progressive press any more likely to double charge (unless you do not have auto-indexing). Your are doing several steps at once so it is very important to pay attention!
When in doubt stop, and dump powder out and start over. You may consider a powder cop die.

I just don't think the press is to blame, perhaps the set-up or technique, not the press!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
Thanks Sharke!

Glad all's well.  I had the same kinda thing happen in reverse.  I also load thousands of rounds per year without incident.  Usually on a single stage as I have several coffee cans full of 38, 9mm and 45acp.  I usually load 44mag 50 at a time and all rifle ammo one by one on a single stage.  Two weeks ago I was testing some 06 and click...no bang.  Waited a minute, click...no bang.  I took the cartridge home and pulled the bullet and damn if there was no powder.  I loaded 12 rounds, six each with a different charge and missed one...and I know I checked to see that all cases were charged...I must've gotten distracted.  Can happen to anyone I guess.......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 03:53:39 AM »
No, of course the press isn't to blame.  It is just a machine.  But, machines can jam.  It is at that point (the malfunction) that we make decisions with consequences.

As CW says, if ANYTHING happens out of the ordinary, STOP and CHECK.

At least, that is my lesson learned.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 04:01:58 AM »
skarke

Thats the great thing about this hobby , you can learn something everyday , I did something like that awhile back , only I transposed the numbers , started to load 9.6 grains instead of 6.9 grains .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
I`ve not done that yet with my Dillon, but have tried with my Ponsness Warren shotgun press. The only thing is with it you just make 1 big mess. The scariest thing I ever done was to drop my 3 screw Ruger on the hammer with a round under the hammer. Noone had ever told me to carry it on an empty chamber. Luckly all I did was to shoot out a window, but I couldn`t hear for a week eather.