Author Topic: Cast bullets in 9mm revolver  (Read 422 times)

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cast bullets in 9mm revolver
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:42:12 AM »
I have one of those Ruger Blackhawk convertibles in 357/9mm i have never really messed with the 9mm side much,shot a few boxes of CCI Blazer 9mm through it several years ago I didn't put it on paper just busted some tin cans mostly.  Well anyways a good friend gave me about 500 pieces of once fired 9mm brass I have plenty of SR primers and a local guy has a various range of hard cast 9mm bullets to choose from made by MidStates.

I took the Blackhawk out this week and shot some Wolf steel case 115 gr. FMJ @25 yds. and produced several nice 2" groups so I know the gun will shoot the 9mm pretty good.   My question is should I stick with the 115 gr. RN cast bullet to match the 115. FMJ or maybe jump up to one of the 120 gr. or 140 gr. weights,are there any advantages or reason I would want to use a heavier cast bullet.  There just going to be plinking rounds and since I shoot a lot of 38's I will be using Bullseye powder also.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cast bullets in 9mm revolver
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »
In reloading for the Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles (.357/9mm & .45 Colt/.45 ACP) the most notable problem is that the chambers are sensitive to bullets with a  long bearing surface.  By that, I mean most bullets with a bearing surface that extends beyond the case mouth will give chambering problems.  I've had my best luck using 125 grain TCL and 200 grain SWC bullets seated with the shoulder flush with the case mouth.

Since you are getting good accuracy already, and since your loads are only intended for plinking, why experiment with different bullets at all?  I would be perfectly happy using your 115 grain bullets knowing that they work well in your Blackhawk and semiauto pistols.
John Traveler