Author Topic: Derringers  (Read 838 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Derringers
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
I know I'll probly open a can of worms on myself, but what are everyones thoughts on derringers in general I know there are cheap ones and exspensive ones. I normally carry a mp40c as a carry gun and I have the full size as well same caliber love both guns to death do us part. I have been thinking of getting something smaller then the  mp40c (something to be very concealable)and the only one that comes to mind is the ruger lcp I had a kel-tec 380 and had lots of jamming issues with it.  I know derringers are out there but hear of no one talking about them and just wanted to know what folks thought about them?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Derringers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »
  I began carrying a North American Arms 22Mag 5 shot "derringer" for about 17years. At infrequent times its a primary carry the majority its a backup. It shoots well and because its a revolver, I am not fearful of the problematic rim-fire ignition as a defensive firearm. Now I have about four of them!!!

Before that I had a High standard 22mag conventional derringer. It didn't shoot so well and was peddled.

I also owned a excellent 45L Colt/410 derringer. It was stainless steel and shot excellently. A close friend talked me out of it and now he enjoys it.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:17 AM »
I too have been guilty of carrying the .22/.25 caliber “mouse guns” and agree that in some cases they might be effective for self defense.  Either will kill someone, it may be the death occurs three weeks later as a result of infection, they wounded the perp, but did they really defuse the situation?

Keep in mind, if you need the weapon you are carrying, then generally your life is on the line, you want to stop the threat immediately!  A larger caliber with higher capacity will serve to defuse a threat much better than a .22 derringer.  There are a lot of things that influence the selection of a personal defense weapon, first and foremost should be how effective is the gun if I need it to defend myself or my family.

Bottom line…………using a “mouse gun” for personal defense is kind of like taking a knife to a gun fight. While I agree they make excellent back-up guns, they should never be used as a first line of defense.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »
I wouldn't mind having a Derringer in a larger then 22 cal.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
carried both a 44 mag. and 357mag. as a back up . since the 12oz S&W 357 mag 5 shot came out why carry a single action 2 shot when you can have 5 DA shots for less weight ?

AND YES DEAR FRIENDS THIS IS A CHANGE OF HEART !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »
'twas wishful thinking on my part :( Neither is a legal firearm here and to "carry" is unthinkable.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
The size and weight of a .38 two shooter is about the same as a 5 shot snubbie.  Some are actually heavier than the airweights. If you want one for a novelty, that might be reason enough to buy one. But for carry, the five shooter looks like a "No Brainer" to me.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
My dad had an american derringer in 357 ss with wood grips it was quite a handful but it was a really nice piece. I hope to get another one sometime soon. He wore a imprint in the back pocket of about 5 pairs of jeans with the thing like a guy that chews with the can mark. He still has a pair of them. It is funny cause it still looks like he is carrying the derringer but there is nothing there. lol

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:45:35 AM »
I'll applogize now because as you get older, you tend to get more opinionated and I have definate opinions on this subject.  Much of this comes from experience and 'having been there'.  So here goes.  Derringers are fun to play with, but unless you want to also use the Derringer for SASS shoots, I would never buy one for carry purposes.  It is awkward to cock and get into action quickly (and safely).  Many small autos are just as small and certainly much lighter than the Derringers are.  Me, give me a Kel-tec PF9; just as flat, only 1/2" taller, and it is lighter to carry, requires no akward cocking-just pull ther trigger, has 7 shots available and real sights that shoot where the gun looks (something most Derringers have a problem with).  Nuff said.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:25:18 AM »
have to agree with 44 man, yet have a 38 darringer that i carry durring the summer.  i can have on just flip flops and shorts and be armed.  ofcourse if i was to dress like that i wouldnt need a gun,  everything would run in terror.
Everything before BUT is B.S.