Author Topic: Hand Primer.  (Read 1118 times)

Offline mccleese

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
Hand Primer.
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
Ok, looking back everyone says they are fantastic, can't live without them, prime while you watch TV etc.  I have been reloading for 15 years and never had one.  My Dillon feeds primers automatically and I have used the dreaded arm on my RCBS single stage.  I pop out the old primers and use the arm on the downstroke.  How will a hand primer benefit me?  I honestly want to know because I am about to place an add and use some gift certificates and may buy one.  Do you all deprime then polish then prime?  Thats the only way I see it working.Thanks

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Hand Primer.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
I have worn out three Lee hand primers IIRC... I wouldn't use one now if it was given to me. As a matter of fact, I did receive a couple in a trade deal and they where passed on to another loader.

RCBS makes one and it looks good. I haven't used one.

Foster also makes a good one.

I have been using a press mounted primer for many years, no more seating bu feel for this loader!!!  A few years back I got a deal on a RCBS bench mounted primer using the then new primers in a strip APS system. I LOVE this thing!!!! I do have to say its simply too expensive. If you can find one used or at a rebated price, I HIGHLY recommend it!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »
I started out using using the primer on my RCBS Rock Chucker, I used it for a long time. I then got a RCBS hand primer. I like it real well. The Lee is supposed to give you better feel and there are a lot of folks that use them. I liked the RCBS because it works, it uses the same shell holder as the case head, I have "feel" with it and it seems rugged. But I am still using that same Rock Chucker press so I am single loading still. However, I do every thing but size and seat bullets some where else. I push out the old primer with a cheap Lee press and clean (yes, I said clean) the primer pockets on a RCBS prep center. I guess if I were using a progressive press I would use it to prime also. What is the point of having a progressive if I did not do every thing on the blasted thing? I like single shot rifles and revolvers so a single stage press sort of follows, but if I were shooting competition and were loading 500+ rounds a week, I would have one. I do not see the point of getting a separate primer if you are using a progressive press, but if you are still using a single stage press, the Lee (cheap) or RCBS makes a lot of sense. The system CW is talking about is a great system, but like he said it is expensive and then you have to buy your primers in those strips. Right now getting any primers are hard to get, let alone buying them in the strips - but they are nice. I can not image they have any feel to them however, but I have never used one so what do I know? Bottom line if you are committed to your progressive, I do not see that a separate primer is any advantage only some thing to slow down the process. Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
I really do like my Lee Autoprime. It is a "compound leverage" tool that makes it easy to feel  when the three "stirrup legs" or base of the primer just do touch the bottom of the pocket.
This will allow you consistant ignition and that is more important than a "dead on" or "trickled" powder charge. My Lee did develop a burr on the inner wheel that operates the priming ram but with a touch of the file and a little white grease it has been going for years. Other likes is that I almost never have to touch the new in box primers. Place the tray straight down, hold the primer box to it, then turn everything right side up and it usually works everytime on having the primers positioned right.

The only think to watch out for with the Lee is never dbl clutch or bump the handle because it is possible to pickup two primers if this would happen and one might go off when loading into a case!
This has never happened to me but it is something to watch for as it could be true with all hand held priming tools.

Offline mccleese

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
To clarify, I use a single stage for some calibers and progressive for others.  I am asking about using it when I use the single stage.  I usually just sit down and do 50 at a time on the Single stage.  deprime and prime all, powder and bullet.  Would I see a benefit to a hand primer.  I like stuff so if so I want one.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
Don't think I've primed any other way than the Lee Auto Prime in at least 20 years. I have no plans to do it any other way any time soon either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
I've only been reloading for a few years,  I researched the Lee Autoprime hand tool real well before I bought mine, I came to the conclusion that those that wore them out prematurely weren't following the instructions and lubing them,  just like anything else mechanical, it needs to be lubed. I have two of em, one each for large and small primers, that way if one ever does break/wear out, I have a spare, they were $10 each when I bought them, they're still under $15. Lee and Midway both sell parts for them as well. A regular shell holder will work fine in it if you anneal it, cut the collar off the bottom, and flat grind it to clean it up, I've made several that Lee doesn't offer, it's real easy.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
I've broken one but bet it had primed over 100,000 rounds when it died. I've worn out a few small parts over the years but they are easily obtained. They are the way to prime if you ask me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
I reworded!!  ;D

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
Don't think I've primed any other way than the Lee Auto Prime in at least 20 years. I have no plans to do it any other way any time soon either.

No sense in reinventing the wheel :P
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
no offense to those that use the lee auto prime and the rcbs hand primer but ive had both and they are pot metal pieces of crap.one thing about lee is they are quick and cheap with parts.i went to a rcbs bench mounted primeing tool.there is nothing that can break on it unless yu hit it with a hammer very hard.basically a family heirloom.if yu like the hand primers i dont blame yu, they work well and are convientent till they break.i do tend to load a lot of ex mil cases with the swaged primer pockets, which i take care of but not always so they behave like id like.the bench tool is my choice to last the longest.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
I have a Hornady hand primer. I did have to modify it for Redding shell holders. They have knurling on the side, and it's to tight a fit. Once I opened up the inside of the body, it worked just fine. You wouldn't have to do that with any other shell holders. I just like the idea of not having to have different shell holders just for the hand primer. Not sure how sensitive the Lee is, but you can tell when real easy when the primer is bottomed out with the Hornady. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
Graybeard's Quote: "I've broken one but bet it had primed over 100,000 rounds when it died. I've worn out a few small parts over the years but they are easily obtained. They are the way to prime if you ask me."

Bill, I'm sure glad you said that. I was beginning to worry I might have to get another one since it was beginning to sound like there was a good chance one of my two were just about to break. I'm probably about 90,000 short of your number of primered rounds, but they'll be shoveling dirt in my face long before I get there.

Bill

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
I had a problem with my Lee Auto Prime the other day.  I caught a primer half way.  It dented the primer. Now I have a case with a dented primer. I guess I will take it with me the next time I go to the range and set it off.   

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
I have two of the auto primes, and one RCBS hand priming tool. They all work great. Anything I single stage load I prime with one of those. Those things are a good investment.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
I've just gotten back into reloading after a long hiatus, and "resurrected" some of my Dad's old stuff.  After about an hour, I removed the press mounted primer arm, broke out Dad's old Lee Auto Primes, (there were three), and went to work.  As the man above said, there is no use re-inventing the wheel.  Simple is good. And with three, I seldom even have to change shell holders.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 04:55:30 AM »
I am behind the curve, if I was a pilot I would be flying  abiplane.  I have been using the predecessor to the Lee Auto Prime for about thirty years are more.  I also have the Lyman Autoprime setup which I use at times.  I feel lucky not having popped a prime with it.

Based on the reviews on the Lee Autoprime on these pages I ordered one.  It is better than the predecessor, but I feel that I need to develop the proper technique to take full advantage of it.  My primary frustration has been that three or four primers fail to flip over slowing the process down.  I believe the angle the unit held is critical.  Any suggestions? 

As a footnote on wear and tear, I lubed the unit per the directions that came with it.  All I need now is a 100,000 primers.  ;D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 02:16:20 PM »
Color me ancient. I have a Lyman Nutcracker tool and have primer seater dies for .30-06 and all other cases based on that one, .250 Savage, .22-250, .308, etc. and etc., plus a die for cases based on the .222 Remington. It is slow but it has the best feel for the primer bottoming out that I've yet encountered. Don't use it much because I don't load for those cases much any more.

I have a RCBS hand primer, the new one with the square primer tray and the universal shell holder. I like it a lot. One nice thing about it is the primer tray is big enough so that it can be inverted over a full tray of primers, then the whole thing slowly re-inverted, leaving the primers upright on the RCBS primer tray. Lots less jiggling to get the primers all facing the same direction, i.e. open end up.

Also have a Lee Auto Prime. Its price recommends it, but I don't like it for two reasons: the lid won't stay put on the primer tray unless I lash it down with some rubber bands, and the tray is too small to load a full hundred primers by the method described above for the RCBS.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
I have primed every round I have reloaded since 1986 or 87 with a Lee Autoprime. I can't figure out why anyone makes a big deal about the special shell holders when the whole set costs about what one or two of the others brands of shellholders costs. I've always been leary of having a lot of primers out at once(they are the most dangerous reloading component) so I only do ten at a time. Most primer packages make that easy. Lube is key with the auto prime but a couple of small dots of lithium grease lasts for thousnds of round.  In the Lee mauals, Dick Lee is very up front that Lee euipment may not be as strong as some others but it all is at least three times as strong as it needs to be to do the job. I have a Lee reloader press and a Lee hand press, have one RCBS small base die and all the rest of my dies are Lee. The only peice of Lee equipment I don't like is the powder scale. The vernier scale is too small even with reading glasses.  Anyone that approaches reloading as a precision endeavor requiring a bit of finesse and relativly little force will have no trouble with Lee equipment.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
Tim:  "A regular shell holder will work fine in it if you anneal it, cut the collar off the bottom, and flat grind it to clean it up, I've made several that Lee doesn't offer, it's real easy."

Ditto.  It's been much easier to get some unusual primer shell holders that way, just buy two regular types and modify one.  Why is that every time I think I've done something unique, I find that someone already knows 'bout it?  Maybe I just ain't so smart after all!  Or, perhaps many others are actually much smarter than I thought?  ;)

Anyway, I do wish Lee had made those much much too-thin primer levers a bit more sturdy but, with lube, my first two AutoPrimes, bought maybe 20 years ago, are still doing fine.  I like my AutoPrime II just as well.  Of course, if a primer is hard to seat I do recognise it and remove the thing to find out why before I snap the lever off.  As the man says, a little finesse goes a long way.

I've safely put a lot of Federal caps through them too, but don't reccommend that to anyone else.  
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
Tim:  "A regular shell holder will work fine in it if you anneal it, cut the collar off the bottom, and flat grind it to clean it up, I've made several that Lee doesn't offer, it's real easy."

Ditto.  It's been much easier to get some unusual primer shell holders that way, just buy two regular types and modify one.  Why is that every time I think I've done something unique, I find that someone already knows 'bout it?  Maybe I just ain't so smart after all!  Or, perhaps many others are actually much smarter than I thought?  ;)

Great minds think alike!!  ;D

Tim

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
I have a couple Lee's that I use, and an RCBS that I bought so I could use it for the odd ball cases that Lee doesn't make shell holders for. There is a BIG difference in the ergonomics between them. I can prime hundreds of cases with the Lee and never get tired. with the RCBS my hand is cramping up after 20 or 40. Also the RCBS is a pain to change from small primers to large or back, the Lee is a snap.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »
i too have wore out a few of the lees. Mostly back before i had dillons and did all my loading on a single stage press. I still use them now though. I shoot and process a ton of 223 and 308 brass and a guy has to size and deprime and then swage the pockets then reprime. I find it easier when doing it to use my lee hand press in front of the tv then swage and use a lee hand primer. I then store them primed in coffee cans for future use or finish loading them on the dillon. Once you do this once its not nessiary the second time and i just load them on a dillon. I also still for the most part load for my bolt guns on a single stage or turent press and still use the lee hand units to size and prime them too and then bring them out to the reloading room and charge and seat bullets. Just yesterday i sized and swaged and primed over 500 308s i just picked up. tell you what, its a real workout and my arms and chest are tight this morning!!
blue lives matter

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »
I use the primer arm on my RCBS Rockchucker with no problems. Matter of fact I like using the tubes and this set up. Nothing against the hand priming tool, just never saw a need for buying something extra.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »
started with the lee ( have 2 ) but they broke several times and they charge for parts . SOOOO got a few rcbs units and love them . you can feel the primer seat better and not crush it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 02:51:04 PM »
The feel of the primer seating with the RCBS tool is what I like.  Primed for years with a single stage press and it worked fine but, will have to admit the hand priming tool is faster than single stage priming.  While not a neccessity they are a nice accessory.       
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »
 I just really disliked the seating by feel...  I like the dead stop consistency of the RCBS priming tools.
My thought process is I deburr my flash holes for consistency. I trim for length for overall consistency. I uniform my primer pockets for overall consistency. So after all this, why would I do something so inconsistent, like seating the primer by feel? Doesn't make any sense to me!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
mccleese,

You also asked about polishing and depriming procedure. I clean cases in the vibratory cleaner then deprime and size. If you deprime before cleaning, some cleaning medium will lodge in some of the flash holes. This happens if you clean first, but the depriming pin pushes it out with the primer. I use an old RCBS Jr. press for all depriming and place a waste basket under the press. I do this in a separate operation to keep the other presses cleaner.

I keep one single stage press set up for small primers and one for large. I also have an old Pak Tool that I use for hand priming some rifle cases and it is great. On the progressive, I prime in the press.

Not to say that my method is any better than any other, but it works for me. If I am loading with a single stage press, I do one operation at a time on all cases- lube, size, expand if needed, prime, charge - look in every case for uniform powder level the seat and crimp if needed.

On the progressive, I have an LED light attached to the press so I can see into each case. I monitor that on every case. Any suspect case stops the operation and I clear and start again. If you don't monitor anything else, monitor the powder charge.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »
by hand i do feel the stop and don't flatten the primer ( which can't help ). Also i feel a loose or over tight pocket before  crushing the primer or letting a loose primer get by . I have seen machine set primers fall out because the pocket was to large from wear .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 02:24:32 AM »
My experience with hand priming tools has been the same as Shootall's. Anything not loaded on a progressive in my cave is hand primed.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,