Author Topic: best recoil pad for turkey youth gun  (Read 759 times)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
best recoil pad for turkey youth gun
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
I'm thinking of having a 20 gage barrel fitted to my 9 yr. old daughters SB2 Handi-Rifle for turkey. I know too well what kind of recoil comes from turkey loads and single shots. (My old Stevens 12ga. just about broke my shoulder and jaw.) Can anybody help me with a really good kick pad to put on it? I checked Brownell's and saw a 1-3/16" thick one made by Kick-Eze. The description seemed very well, has anybody used one or know of another really good one for a very recoil shy little girl? I was thinking I would just let her practice with some really light loads with the pad, and then when crunch time came, slip a regular turkey load in the chamber, the excitement would take her mind off the kick.

Does anyone know if H&R offers any 20 gage screw-in-choke accessory barrels other than the TDC vent ribs? I checked the web-site and didn't see any. If not, I'll probably just go with a fixed full choke. Also, what have you guys used to mount some fiber optic sights or red-dot scopes on these barrels?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: best recoil pad for turkey youth gun
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
As for the 20Ga chokes, I do not think its offered by H&R.

For the recoil pad, I am a big fan of the LIMBSAVER pads. I prefer the grind to fit, but good results have been had with the small slip ons.  The Kick eez is also a excellent pad.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
Jon,

You may want to reconsider the TDC barrel, the vent rib makes it real easy to mount sights, adding a Trulock or Undertaker turkey tube will make it a real good shooter, that's what I'm hunting with, I added a monte carlo synthetic stock set with a Limbsaver prefitted pad, with top 1½oz loads recoil is a bit stout for a youngin, but lighter loads should be fine.  ;) I tested Federal Flite control ammo this year, both #6 Heavyweight and #5 lead, both pattern excellent out past 35yds.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,142452.msg1098569267.html#msg1098569267
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
The syn stock youth 20 Ga - Compact (SB1-25C) is a mod choke tube.

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
   Hi Jon, NEF choke threads are already in some 20 gauge barrels right from the factory. It is the same as a Win-choke thread or a Browning Invecta,[NOT the Invecta +] . These threads are put on a bunch of different offerings by Carlsons,Kicks,HS,Tru-Glo,Truelock, Puregold and Cabelas. A variety can be found at Gander Mountain too.They will offer tubes that are for steel only so don't get stuck with one of them. Some are specifically stated to be for Hevi-shot. All of these will come in a wide range of constrictions designed to cover all shooting situations . You're after Turkeys so you'll want to go as tight as possible . Now comes the crunch. Do you want to have your girl shoot that gun after she fires her first turkey load? If so, YOU evaluate what she will be treated to. Those choke tubes all come with extended and ported versions for what they're worth in reducing recoil. Noise ,for the observer is annoying but that shouldn't affect her. Do EVERYTHING you can for her so she'll come back and be your hunting buddy

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:20 AM »
Thanks guys for your help.

Tim, that TDC barrel is lookin better all the time, especially since I'll be sending it in for a bigger deer barrel soon also. ;) Lighter loads should be Ok and she can still use it after she's grown up.(Sometimes I wish I could put a block on her head and keep that from happening. :'()The Monte Carlo stock she has on her Handi will work perfect for a red dot scope, she will be set-up to plow some ole' fantails.(I may have to take this gun away from her and use it myself ;D)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
Jon,

I patterned my 20ga Pardner with fixed modified choke using the Federal Heavyweight #6 Flight Control ammo, it patterns pretty darned good at 35yds, recoil wasn't real pleasant tho even with a Limbsaver slip-on, but a little weight in the stock would help.  ;)

Tim

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
Very nice. I think I'll get the TDC barrel and use light loads with the modified choke it comes with, until she gets bigger and can handle a turkey load with extra full tube. Thanks Tim ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:50:36 AM »
Jon,

I contacted Federal to ask what choke restriction they recommend for use with their Flitecontrol Heavyweight #7 loads, reply was a full choke. Did some more research and found the links below.

Good shooting to you and your daughter. ;)

Tim

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/where-hunt-turkeys-ducks-geese-pheasants-and-quail/2009/05/bourjaily-my-20-gauge-turkey-gun

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=298

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
Tim, you da man!!!! Thanks a lot. ;)