Author Topic: cant find anything  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
cant find anything
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »
Dealer called his distributer who is one of the biggest in the country. I asked for this stuff and there was nothing in stock that i asked for. Rifle primers, med burning powder for .223/308. hornady lock and load progressive presses, lcps or the crimson trace grips for them. No 380,.223,762x39,or 308 ammo of any kind, said he didnt even have a box of corelocks left. He said for the most part his shelves are bare. I did manage to score his last acog. I cant see the deal with this ammo shortage. Some say its the companys producing for the war but then why would there be no wolf. Its made in russia. We been through other wars and conflcts lately and the wolf kept comming. Personaly i think someone is sitting on it somewhere until the demand gets up high enough that he gets an outrageous price for it. I saw 380 ammo going for 50 bucks for a box of 50 on the internet. Not bad profit for a box of ammo a dealer probably pays 8 bucks for. thank God the dealers up here arent crooks. Other then gander mountain prices havent risen but they cant get more and im sure when they do the price is going to be out of this world. A guy should have took the penelty and cashed in his 401k 3 years ago and bought cases of wolf .223 ammo with it. Hed be rich right now!
blue lives matter

Offline gun junky

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: cant find anything
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
 Ammo and reloading components are hard to find right now. I hope things get better but I don;t see it in the near future. Gun Junky

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
 Welcome to the boat Lloyd,

This seems to be pleaguing quite a few of us , some being a little luckier then others ..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »
The biggest store around here had powder and bullets.  I bought 2#s of Varget and my buddy got 2#s of Accurate #2 (they are only allowing 2#s/customer).  They said last Friday they got 60,000 primers in at 3:00pm and they were sold out by 11:00 Saturday morning.  They actually had plenty of ammo.  They had Federal 5.56 military for $11/box and commercial for $13/box.  My buddy bought two boxes of PMC 9mm for $14/box.  They didn't seem to have as much of an ammo shortage as some other stores, but primers certainly are a hot commodity right now.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
Cant find anything at the shooting range. There is a large public range near me so I went for a ride thinking I might find some brass. Absolutely nothing, but rimfire. Last year there was 9mm, 40 S&W, 223 everywhere, not any more.

Cheese :(
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
People are in a panic since they believe the government is going to come down hard on gun owners. People are stocking up. Eventually it will ease off and supplies will go back to normal. I just bought some 7.62x39 yugo 1970 ammo at a cheap price. Stuff shoots fine and as long as you clean the rifle after it's good stuff.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
Calm down or falling into another deppession or worse yet (maybe better in the long run) another civil war ... Hope for the best and expect the worst .. I believe that is what alot of us are doing .. Get it while you can .

And keep your powder dry ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline ThudThumper

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
I've been looking for rifle primers for 6 months. I've shopped around in TN, GA, TX, and KS with no luck. I've got plenty of bullets, powder, and brass, but no primers. I wanted to start reloading years ago, and boy did I pick an awful time to start. I've yet to get further than pushing primers and resizing case necks.

I bought a case of Wolf mil-spec 7.62x39 about a year ago for just under $3.00 per box. A local sporting goods store is currently selling the regular black box stuff for over $13 per box.
When the whole world is crashing down around me, atleast I'll have my SKS.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:09:35 AM »
Iwas at the local Dicks sporting goods yesterday.They have Wolf black box 223, and are selling it for almost $11 a box. They don't carry any reloading supplys.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27:44 AM »
I know where EVERYONE can get primers!

Ready for this?

Just look on GunBroker!  There are literally TONS of them there!....any type and any quantity you like.

Obviously a bunch of people (call them as you will....believe me, I have my names for them) bought hundreds and thousands of boxes when they saw the panic starting.  (as evidenced by the last panic during the Clinton Administration)  Now that all of the supplies are bought up and the manufacturers can't even get anything out on the shelves, these @#&*@* are selling them at twice and three times the price!  THANKS a lot!

NOW, just what do you all think that's going to do to all of us?  These @#$%* have put all gun owners right where the gun grabbers want us...with no ammo to shoot.  No primers means no shooters.  IF and/or WHEN the manufacturers can get back on their feet and get the raw materials needed to supply the country with what these !@#$% bought up, how much do you think the manufactures are going to set the prices on a box of primers??  If you guessed two to three times what the going rate is now, you're probably right.  That's exactly what happened last time.  Primers immediately went from $12.99 per box to $25.00 and slowly crept up to $27.00 to $30.00 or more thereafter.

Thanks to all those "primer grabbers".....they're all just as bad as the gun grabbers, in fact, WORSE since they're profiting on their fellow shooters and gun owners who are in a crisis.  They are now setting the standard so that only the rich can have or fire a gun.  Isn't that what everyone complains our government is all about...supporting only the rich? 
Don't any of you be fooled.....it's not a government scandal....it's a bunch of @#$%!!  Get on GunBroker and see for yourselves.

@#%&*  =  "primer grabbers"  ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »
I have been watching gunbroker.com for months now and have noticed that the rifles that disapeared are now starting to be available and the overall prices are going down.  The ammo prices are still high, but are coming down some.  People still have crazy asking prices, but is many cases have zero bids. 

It is a bunch of @#%&*'s who are causing a lot of the problems.  At some point the dealers/distributers who bought everything high to sell at even higher are going to be out of luck and left out to dry.  Until then, make every practice round count and don't waste your ammo.  The prices will bablance out eventually, we just have to wait a while yet even though we don't want to.

Offline ThudThumper

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »
These @#$%* have put all gun owners right where the gun grabbers want us...with no ammo to shoot.

I have plenty of ammo to shoot. Problem is, I can't afford the current price to replace it. Since I like to keep a supply on hand, and since I can't afford any thanks do a recent lay-off, I'm not spending time at the range and I'm getting out of practice.  :-\

I hear where you're coming from, though. It's a shame that a pandemic causes individuals to turn off their brains and think only of themselves. This is no different than the "gas crisis." The media reports that a monstrous hurricane is going to shut down some oil refineries and cause a gas crisis. People 1000 miles away rush out to wait in line and buy every ounce of gasoline they can...which, of course, spikes the demand for gas when the supply will obviously decrease upon the arrival of the hurricane. It seems that anything the media reports becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  ;D
When the whole world is crashing down around me, atleast I'll have my SKS.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »

I have plenty of ammo to shoot. Problem is, I can't afford the current price to replace it.

+1!!!  Same problem here.  I have a nice little suply of ammo, but I'm worried about having to replace any of it.  Right now I'm just loading up the scraps and left overs from load development I've done in the past.  When I've cleaned out my random leftovers, I'm not really sure I'm going to want to dip into what's left of my ammo.  It may be worth more than my 401K at some point.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:51:48 AM »
I have been watching gunbroker.com for months now and have noticed that the rifles that disapeared are now starting to be available and the overall prices are going down. 

That's because nobody wants to buy a firearm that they can't afford to feed.  I've stopped looking at new firearms due to the reloading components issue and I'm sure others are in the same boat.  So, aside from the "primer/ammo grabbers" spoiling reloading for all of us, they're more than likely effecting the firearms sales as well. 

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Grin

No doubt, there is a whole world full of them.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
all this actually started about 5 years ago! Several large 3rd world countries
started programs to get electricity into remote areas. there went lots of copper.
This caused shortages of other metals also. Find someone you know
that does welding, ask them what the cost of their supplies are now compared
to two or three years ago! It is not just bullets and brass. The price of these metals
most likely will not drop again. Then come the calls for a ban on lead! Then comes
the Obama effect and serial numbered brass and bullets. The rumor of modified
powders that only have a 2 year shelf life. The "assault rifle ban" returning.
Fear of an economic collapse. increased taxes on guns and ammo,
the list goes on and on. I am not looking for supply to meet demand
on ammo for years, if ever! And I do not ever see the cost dropping again.
I have no problem with folk stockpiling for their own use, but stockpiling
for profit is irritating.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I have no problem with folk stockpiling for their own use, but stockpiling
for profit is irritating.

Amen!

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
Primer shortage?  What primer shortage?   ???

Here is a nice photo I found attached to an ad on GunBroker.  Is this just to shove it in our faces or something?   :-\

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »
Primer shortage?  What primer shortage?   ???

Here is a nice photo I found attached to an ad on GunBroker.  Is this just to shove it in our faces or something?   :-\

I guess that guy wants some of the credit/blaim for the primer shortage.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Once people start running out of money from buying so much ammo the supplies will come back.

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
I was off today and I decided to make the circit of the local gun shops, just to see who had what in stock. I walked into the first one, to find little ammo on the shelves but plenty of guns in the racks. The second one was a huge surprise, they had more ammo in stock than they would have had before the hysteria began and there prices were back down as well. The third was equally well stocked and there prices were down as well. Both had plenty of winchester Q3131A1, Hornady 223 fmj, Fiochi sp and fmj, ect. they both also had 9mm, 40 in good numbers but 45 was still in short supply.  Primers are still pretty tight but some are showing up, except for small rifle, of course. Powder is a different story. I can find some powder, just not the powder that I want. It seems that either supply has caught up with demand or the hoarders have run out of money.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »
Once people start running out of money from buying so much ammo the supplies will come back.

The supply may stabilize a little, but the price is not going to drop. So many people are buying ammo now
a few boxes at a time that running out of money is not going to stop this. To relieve fear, money is not much of an issue. A bag lunch instead of eating at mickey d's all week saves enough to buy a couple
of boxes of ammo. most folks I know are still buying all they can get.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
Dear Guys,

Those of us who are well over 50 have seen these crazes come an go at least 4 or 5 times during our lifetimes.  And, during each craze, people somberly say,  "It will never end."  Yes it will.  The law of supply and demand is immutable. 

Regards,

Mannrock