Author Topic: Just a friendly reminder  (Read 565 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Just a friendly reminder
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
As of late it seems that some of the topics have taken a slight curve to the political side of our hobby , now I do relize that sometimes the two are truly intertwined , but lets not forget that Graybeards has many forums and that as in life  , there is a Time and Place for such things .

My point being is that this is a Handloading / Reloading forum and lets try to keep it as such and take the other issues to more appropriate forums .  ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?board=59.0  ( Political Issues )

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,127.0.html  ( Pot-Bellied Stove )

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,185.0.html  ( Conspiracy Theories )

stimpylu32
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Just a friendly reminder
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
Stimpy, sorry about that.  Some times I get so full of angry I spill out a little when I lean over.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:43:33 AM »
Chester  Did you come up with that yourself or is it an old family saying?  O that more of us were like you maybe we wouldn't be in the shape we are now.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:17:28 AM »
As of late it seems that some of the topics have taken a slight curve to the political side of our hobby , now I do relize that sometimes the two are truly intertwined , but lets not forget that Graybeards has many forums and that as in life  , there is a Time and Place for such things .

My point being is that this is a Handloading / Reloading forum and lets try to keep it as such and take the other issues to more appropriate forums .  ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,127.0.html  ( Pot-Bellied Stove )

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,185.0.html  ( Conspiracy Theories )

stimpylu32

Yup, and every time someone new comes to GBO, they want to create a special forum for a very specific topic.  To excess in my opinion.  I sometimes like to talk politics but I prefer to converse with old friends such as the folks in the casting and reloading forums.  Apparently so do many of your regular customers otherwise a recent topic would not have been the most replied-to thread in the forum.  This is the reason that most of the "Request for a New Forum" has at least one NO vote.   I looked through the 200+ seperate forums and couldn't find one for I Disagree  so if you need to put this somewhere else maybe here would be appropriate Conspiracy Theories

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:26:57 AM »
"Chester  Did you come up with that yourself or is it an old family saying?"

If you mean the "spill out" part, it's mine.  I've lived with myself for so long I've sorta developed a language for dealing with me.  :)

I understand and agree that dealing with Polly Ticks (multipule blood sucking parasites) might best be left off.  But it seems that SOME subjects would leaving us speaking in censored stacatto bursts if we observed it totally.  I mean, some of our worst gun problems ARE politically generated so how can we address it if we don't speak directly to the core of the problem? 

I figger that IF "hurt feelings" result, it must be because someone has hit a nail square on the head and the whiners are, as usual, uncomfortable with it.  MY feelings don't get hurt.  I do have the thick skin that rises from knowing I'm RIGHT!  (Young, good looking, rich and humble too!)   ;D    :o

But, I'll try to comply with company rules if for no other reason than not to cause Stimpy undue grief.  (He's doing a fine job as our #1 moderator.)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »

stimpylu32

Yup, and every time someone new comes to GBO, they want to create a special forum for a very specific topic.  To excess in my opinion.  I sometimes like to talk politics but I prefer to converse with old friends such as the folks in the casting and reloading forums.  Apparently so do many of your regular customers otherwise a recent topic would not have been the most replied-to thread in the forum.   This is the reason that most of the "Request for a New Forum" has at least one NO vote.   I looked through the 200+ seperate forums and couldn't find one for I Disagree  so if you need to put this somewhere else maybe here would be appropriate Conspiracy Theories

BF

Would that have been the ( Sizing new brass ) or the (Message from Hornady ) or the ( Hand primer ) thread , as all 3 have had a few more posts than most of the others .

As for the Request a new forum , just about all the NO votes come from the Graybearded one himself .

And as I said , sometimes the 2 subjects are truely wrapped into each other , however lets try to keep things on topic .

Stimpylu32
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:35:01 PM »
There is no "best answer" to this situation. There are pluses and minuses to both sides.

Some visit but few forums here and prefer to do all their posting regardless of the subject matter on those to them "most comfortable" forums. They seem to feel closest to the folks there and most comfortable in that group. It's hard to fault folks for feelng that way.

Others visit many forums and like to see each of the forums they visit clean and neat applying only to the topic of that forum. Again I can't fault that as it really is the idea for having so many to begin with. Within reason it's how I'd like to keep it. I tend to allow an occasional off topic discussion on most forums but if a trend develops where too many of them are off topic and there is a proper place for them then moving them is the right way to go.

Today as a for instance someone posted to the Pot Bellied Stove Forum a topic clearly a Medium Bore Rifle Topic. It was asking which of two rifle rounds to chose. That has no place whatsoever on the Pot Bellied Stove forum but that forum is used so heavily by so many it seems some feel it's the ONLY place to post no matter the subject. While none are totally out of place there as it's a general catch all if there is a very specific place for a topic it really belongs there not on the Pot Bellied Stove forum.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
Bill

I agree 100% , some just feel more comfortable talking with people that they know , my post was not ment to discourage open communitation but simply to try to keep things on track .

If I offened anyone that was not my intention , just trying to do my job .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
See what a nice guy Stimpy is. Him and me are the only two guys without ignore flags.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
Nope Stimp, it is: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,168578.0.html  the most replied to and I just checked, 7th most viewed. 

In 2002 the Request a Forum forum wasn't here yet but at it's inception, somewhere around the same time the Marlin folks moved in.  And while I can't claim nearly as many nos as GB, this graybeard was passing out no's to just about all of them because most of them stayed up until they got their 12 or required number of votes and no votes didn't count agin' em.  Most that voted for them never went to the new forum much less post in it.

See what a nice guy Stimpy is. 

You'll not get an arguement from me, not only is he a nice guy, he's knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge with anyone that asks and I enjoy his company even when we disagree.  And THAT is my point.

Oh, I gave you my Ignore flag  ;)
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt