Author Topic: Saftey Glasses  (Read 407 times)

Offline markp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Saftey Glasses
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »
 A person should wear saftey glasses at all times while reloading .  Only when putting in primers.
 At no time  is it nessasary to wear saftey glasses . Or other ?

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Saftey Glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
I wear safety glasses over my normal vision glasses. They are cheap insurance.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »
Wear the glasses.  Better yet a shield.  I've been spattered by lead once, luckily it didn't hit my face, but it could have.  I had a bullet discharge in a kinetic puller once.  Had the rear been pointed at my face and not the ceiling, it could have blinded me.  The casing broke the screw on cap of the puller, and bounced off the ceiling with some force.  The bullet is still in the hammer, which I keep hung up as a reminder that the improbable does happen, even though I still have not figured out why.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline markp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
  Ben,
 the casing became the projectile and the bullet stayed in the puller ? This was by means of the primer  going off ?

I feel safer wearing safety glasses  when I reload and I think it is prudent.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
  Ben,
 the casing became the projectile and the bullet stayed in the puller ? This was by means of the primer  going off ?

I feel safer wearing safety glasses  when I reload and I think it is prudent.

Correct.  If the cartridge is not contained, the projectile will in effect "launch" the case.  I don't know what popped the primer, but I suspect some problem with the hammer, or maybe something was stuck on the primer??   When we were kids we took some 22's and placed them on the fence to shoot at.  I stuck one in a crack in a board and when I hit it with a BB, the casing came back and nailed me square in the forehead.  I've screwed up enough that I don't take many chances.  A fella's luck runs out after a while.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »

When we were kids we took some 22's and placed them on the fence to shoot at.  I stuck one in a crack in a board and when I hit it with a BB, the casing came back and nailed me square in the forehead.  I've screwed up enough that I don't take many chances.  A fella's luck runs out after a while.

I don't mean to make light of your misfortune. But that made me laugh. Glad you didn't get seriously hurt.

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline markp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:10 AM »
Ben,
 those are both fasinating things that happened too you. Glad you wern't seriously hurt. The story about the 22
is just hilarious !! Sorry for chuckling  but thats  funny !!

When I was a 17 yr old kid new to driving I pulled in to a service station because the car was over heating.
The "mecanic" who wasnt much older then I proceeded to pull off the radiotor cap and I Recieved a very
hot blast to the face. Every since then I Like to wear saftey glasses even though I hate the things.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »
"When we were kids we took some 22's and placed them on the fence to shoot at."

Ah, memories of the follies of youth.  You remind me of the time I pushed a .22 round into the dirt and then shot it with a Red Ryder from a few inches, age 11 I think. 

The case went I know not where, but the dirt went FLYING in the air! 
And I quietly slipped away, never again to repeat that day.

I do wear safety glasses.  All the time, from git up to lie down.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »
I admit to trying foolish things, just because........now that I'm older and realize I'm not 10 feet tall and bullet proof, I'm also a lot more careful.  The Good Lord must have had guardian angels on special duty to get me to adulthood. 

We once decided to make a bomb underneath an abandoned concrete slab of an old cabin on the river.  A short length of cannon fuse, some black powder, a cigarette timer.  We got in the boat and crossed the river and waited almost forever it seemed.  After determining that the cigarette must have gone out, we started back across.  We (my brothers and I), were about 150 feet away when the slab lifted up in three great pieces and overturned.  The concussion was enough to almost knock us down. 

Like I said, my angel worked overtime until I was in my 20's.

Don't think safety glasses would have been enough for that one if we had been a tad closer....

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
You only get one pair of eyes and ears. I never used to wear protection for either, but I do now. Its too simple not to slide on a pair of protective glasses.