Author Topic: Colt AR question  (Read 868 times)

Offline jtech

• Trade Count: (0)
Colt AR question
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:04:04 AM »
I want to buy a Colt ar hbar national match and havn't been able to find one. I did find a le6920 nib. How do they shoot compared to the hbar? The gun will primarily be for my wife and daughter to target shoot with. I will probably use it some. Man the prices have gone up!
Thanks in advance for any input

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Colt AR question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »
Brother ,

Welcome to the club .. Prices have gotten obseen  ... Your best bet for a quick buy is going to be a site like this or a auction site like Guns of America  and as much as it pissses me off every time i look at black rifle related things on Gun Broker ,You might want to check there as well .. At this point though you might want to open your manufacturer choices up to go beyond just Colt ..
So thus increasing your chances of finding what you are looking for , Because that is what it is , a luck of the draw to finding it .. Well that or a year wait in line from a manufacturer..

A place you might want to check out for this rifle  (if its intended role is missus and daughter plinking ) Is Del Ton , I think when i checked last they had a turn around time of 4 months
 You also might want to check out gander mountain , A buddy of mine just picked up a Target Bushmaster 20" fluted there this last week for around $1300 ..be worth a check at the least

I know this isnt what you want to hear , but i hope it helps..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
Ive yet to find a newer colt of any configuration that wasnt an excellent shooter.
blue lives matter

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:28:27 AM »
The m-4 style 6920 colt is generally good for just  at or just over 1moa. In other words the hbar is about twice as accurate.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »
I agree with Arier.  My 6920 shoots 1.25 moa (with 55gr handloads...it's sub moa with 75gr loads) but is incredibly versatile.  I have a friend with a DPMS 16" and a 20" bull barrel build of a bunch of unknown parts (he knows, I don't though) both of his will outshoot mine, but he has bull barrels, McCormick triggers, standard A2 stocks, FF handguards, and tinkers with his handloads a lot more.  Mine's stock with a few comfort upgrades.  For an all around rifle, I'd get a 6920 or other M4 clone (CMMG is good), for a target gun get the Hbar or similar.

Offline jtech

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 04:52:58 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Ordered a le6920 yesterday, will post back after I've had a chance to shoot it.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »
I own Colt, DPMS and Double Star.  The Double star Varmit Slayer at about 14 hundred will hang in there with the best of Colt and DPMS,  Mine is dead on accurate at 100 yards even for my almost 70 year old eyes. 

Offline jtech

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:43:11 AM »
Picked up rifle tuesday night. Got it cleaned up and headed for the range next day. Pretty impressed with the quality but the trigger is awfull, feels like a 1/4in. of creep. Zeroed at 25 yds. off a make shift bench, no adjustment needed. Went over to a 50 yd. range, good bench and front sand bag. Fired 3 3 shot groups. All under 1/2 in. and 2 groups had 2 shots cutting the same hole. Needles to say i'm very pleased.
My eyes are getting bad, focus on front sight and target is blurry. Dad says welcome to old age! Got lucky and the rifle likes the first ammo I put through it, black hills 75 gr. heavy match. There may be something it likes better, but it's rare for me to get these types of results with the first i try. Would like to try some different ammo but as we all know it's getting hard to find anything. Didn't have time to shoot out any farther but will post back after this weekend.
Thanks again to all who have helped with input to my questions.

Offline jtech

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 04:08:05 PM »
My wife shot it a few days ago and told me I had to FIX the trigger (I know dad told me not to teach her to shoot ). Could have done it my self but didn't want to alter the factory gun. Ordered a timney 3 # drop in and installed. Havn't shot it from a bench yet but boy what a difference. Can not say enough about the quality, easy install and super feeling trigger. If the weather permits we'll get to the range tomorow and I'll post. My daughter shot it last night off the back porch and she is realy interested, her big brother is in the National Guard.
Can not thank every one enough for the advice but thanks again and God bless every one.

Offline jtech

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Went to the range today, short session cause of rain. Timney trigger worked as expected, clean light break. Only shot at 50 yds, Groups still no better than 1/2 in., although it is easier to shoot accurately. My wife shot it better than with the original trigger. I know my eyes arn't what they used to be so maybe it's time to scope it.
What type of scope do you prefer on a ar and why?
Thanks inadvance for any input

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
I'm running a Millett DMS 1x-4x on my 6920 right now.  I've run a 3x-10x before and I like the lower magnification better.  At 1x its great for close quarters or moving targets and 4x gives me enough magnification for long shots.  The circle dot reticle is fantastic and works for a variety of targets and ranges.  For under $300 it's a great buy.  Burris and Leupold make the same thing, but nicer and more expensive as does Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, and U.S Optics for even more money.

Here's what it looks like:

Offline jtech

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 02:49:08 AM »
jmayton,what type of rings are those? Is that a rear sight I see and if so where did you get it? I like the idea of being able to pull the scope with quick detach rings and use the sights.
Thanks

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 05:31:15 AM »
The rings are Burris tacticals.  They're ok, but I wanted Warne quick detachables for ease of removal.  The advantage of the Burris rings is I can get a top piece with a picatinny rail on it.  The back up sight is a GG&G and came with the rifle when I received it (used).  For my uses, this rifle is my main gun for whatever comes up.  It goes pig hunting and is set up to be a defense or survival weapon if necessary so I would highly recommend a back-up sight.  The GG&G's are expense, but you can get a Yankee Hill Machine or other brand for a bit less.  Don't go with the super cheap ones ($40 or so), get a quality sight (most are $80 and up).

Another thing, the rifle in the pic is still sporting it's tactical charging handle latch.  That is now removed and laying in a drawer.  It's a great idea, until it jabs you in the chest while carrying the rifle patrol-style.  The factory latch works just fine with this set-up.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »
jmayton, I currently have the Leopould Vari X III in 3.5 to 10 power on my M4 Bushy. I am going back to a smaller lighter Leopould Vari X II in 2 to 7 power. It is about as fast as open sights, works good in close, as you say, and has enough magnification to handle the longer shots.
For a trigger, I put a set screw under the trigger for over-travel, smoothed the group only a little, and tweeked the springs. Turned out well, and is reliable. I have always liked this method, and it only requires taking the handle off, and a little filing on the hammer after setting the over travel, so the saftey will go back in.
My go to has the last several years a Model 92 in 357 mag, but the eyes are changing and the hogs are running more.
I know you already know what I know, that the 223 is plenty for the biggest Texas hogs.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »
Dee, I think the 2-7 is a great choice.  I went with the 1-4 for the 0 magnification for close range and mine will be used to shoot three-gun competitions.  We had some hogs brushed up the other day, so I was set 1x.  They came out between us and took off across an open field (about 200yds to cover) I fired at one, missed slightly, but turned him and then put one just behind the ear.  We paced it off and it was right around 150yds with a scope with 0 magnification.  It was a lucky shot, but made easier by the rifle and scope.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 06:28:36 AM »
Dee, I think the 2-7 is a great choice. 

I put a burris 2-7 ballistic plex on my AR and I really like it.  I wanted something for close shots and far shots.  At 2x I'm hoping to use it on a coyote up close, and at 7x with the ballistic plex I just hold over and I'm good to go out to 500 yards.  It's a sweet setup for such a cheap scope (~150 if I remember).

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »
teddy12b, I was laying in 6" high winter wheat year before last, and called about a 3 year old heathy female coyote out into the middle of the 400 acre field (my camo was working) and shot her at 7 feet. The two works good in close.
I tried the 3.5 to 10 because I had it. It's a nice scope for a bolt action but I sold all my bolt actions. The 2 to 7 is just right.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:02 AM »
Wow, you need to start making coyote hunting videos or training videos.  7 feet away is incredible.  I've never been specifcally coyote hunting, but I'm setup for it (I think) and I want to give it a try soon.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
I started calling coyotes in 1970. Back then you had a big box, and a 45 rpm record. I, over they years went over to closed reed calls, and now open reed calls.