Author Topic: Panther DPMS 308-H  (Read 814 times)

Offline LarryL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
Panther DPMS 308-H
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:08:08 AM »
Anyone out there have experience with DPMS Panther 308 rifles?  I am considering their H model that is set up for hunting as a new addition to the stable.

thanks!
Success is a journey, not a destination...  Might as well enjoy the ride!! 

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Panther DPMS 308-H
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:41:25 AM »
dont know yet but found out mine should be here next week.
blue lives matter

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:01 AM »
 Yeah Larry ,

I have a little experience with the DPMS AP4 LR 308  ::) ...  Its the weapon i used on my Buffalo hunt  ;D ..   What are you wanting to know about the weapon ??
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »

I like the look of their H model intended for hunting.  The weight is reasonable for lugging around the woods.  I plan to either put my red dot sight or a scope on it and use it for deer hunting when I'm using a rifle instead of the pistol.

I am interested in anyone's opinions and experience with the DPMS Panther rifles, the 308 in particular, with respect to quality, accuracy, customer support, etc.  I have never bought anything from them, and do not know anyone who has.

thanks!

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59:11 AM »
larry ive got a .223 sportical. Its the dpms gun that the snobs most like to bash. I bought it because i wanted a cheap plinker to save on my more expensive ars. Well this thing has never missed a beat and shoots into an inch with loads it likes. Almost makes me want to buy another beater so i can save on this one. cool thing too is compared to most ARs its light as a feather. I dont have a dpms ar10 but i just got an email from the guy im getting mine from who said dpms is shipping it next week. My best freind has one and he just loves it. It never misses a beat and if i quoted you the groups hes shot you wouldnt believe it anyway but the first day he had it i fired the first 5 shots the gun ever shot into 3/4s of an inch at a 100 yards. Anymore with my old eyes when i can shoot a one inch group its the exception so id hate to see what that gun could do in that hands of someone that could really shoot it.
blue lives matter

Offline jeff1hd

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:13:49 AM »
I bought one last Saturday and have only got to shoot it once (not that easy of a task with a cast for a broken elbow  ;D) but any way i love it it is the LR10 came with scope, magna pul stock, and a bipod. My brother and son also shot and loved it i think you will too.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:34:46 AM »
I used to own a DPMS 308B (18" heavy barrel).  I loved it and I miss it dearly.  I sold it when $$ got tight, because my dear sweet bride was still learning the in's and out's of credit cards.  Anyway, the rifle was outstanding.  The only thing I did was put a new trigger in it and I was hitting where I aimed out to 700 yards.  The scope ran out of adjustment there and that's the only thing that stopped me from shooting farther.  I mostly used handloads, but I also tried some Federal 168gr match, & Blackhills 168gr match.  The blackhills was just one ragged hole and the federal was just over 1/2".  No matter how you cut it, the DPMS 308B I had was an outstanding rifle and I really wish I wouldn't have had to have sold it.  I keep my eyes open for another one to buy someday, but unfortunately now they are about double what I paid for mine not that long ago.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:46:11 AM »
DPMS 18" M4 contoured barrel  w/ phnatom flash supressor "AP4 LR308"

This rifle was crazy accurate with the Hornady factory 150 Interbond ballistic tip rounds , 1/2 or less @ 100 ... I'm accustomed to using heavy triggers and this one was no trouble or by any means the worst, Though i can see some wanting it lighter .. Mine was the A3 flat top W/ the picatinny gas block, I topped it off with the leupold 4-12x44 scope and loved the great handling and accuracy of this weapon ..

Now the reason i let you know this is for one very good point .... If the contoured lighter barrel will achive this affect on one who has owned easily over 300 varied arms ... The bull barreled version should have little trouble putting a big ass grin on your face  ;D I know mine did for me  ;)

If you have the means and the weapon available to you ? Then buy it ..

I miss mine dearly , Thankfully enough the older friend i sold mine to after the layoff orders came down has told me just show up with the money and its mine again... I'm afraid , even being the "man of his word" kinda guy i know him to be... After he shoots the gun he may not be that eager to let it go  ;D

Hope this helps a little more then my first post,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
I thank you all for your inputs.  Sounds like I won't be going wrong if I can get one.  I have a local dealer trying to get me prices and availability now.  I'm worried that might be scary.  DPMS does post their suggested MSRP.  The big question is whether they are horribly backordered, and whether all the distributors are gouging the crap out of the buyers.  I'll let you know how I make out!

Larry

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:57:27 AM »
Larry,

At last i heard the 308 platform is very backed up .. 8 mo. to a year as last i heard , but dont take my word .. Check for yourself or your dealer will find out for you soon enough ..

I know this isnt what you want to hear brother , Tight times ...

Keep your powder dry,

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:25:26 AM »
I thank you all for your inputs.  Sounds like I won't be going wrong if I can get one.  I have a local dealer trying to get me prices and availability now.  I'm worried that might be scary.  DPMS does post their suggested MSRP.  The big question is whether they are horribly backordered, and whether all the distributors are gouging the crap out of the buyers.  I'll let you know how I make out!

Not to rain on your parade, but if you don't want to wait you'r eprobably going to have to get on gunbroker or a similar site.  These days, you're not going to be buying a new dpms 308 anything for less than $1400, more likely $1600 after it's all said & done.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
i  am  4 months  into my  ''8 month'' back order wait

i  hope it is as  goood as you all say

mine will be  24 inch [longer than i really wanted]  flat top and 4 clips

been  so long  i don't remember all the details......i better folllow it up
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
While I don't own an AR10, I have a gunsmith friend who has ordered 3 in for customers.  He has test shot them and said that any of the three would outshoot most bolt guns.  Now the bolt guys will want to bash that, but he said most of them would shoot right around an inch with off the shelf ammo.  I'll take performance like that anyday!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:53 PM »
go on gun broker and just type in "dpms" in the search.  On the left side of the page, where the picture is, you'll see a logo for a gun shop called northern firearms.  They are getting 40 or more AR type rifles daily, and they list them for the suggested retail price.  That means you can still get a sportical for $850 or the LR308 for $1300.  Check early because they sell out daily and list new ones first thing in the morning.