Author Topic: Norinco 7.62x39 Ammo Pressures  (Read 1321 times)

Offline walker944

• Trade Count: (0)
Norinco 7.62x39 Ammo Pressures
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:54 AM »
I've got several cases of Norinco China Sports 7.62x39 red box ammo.  From what I've found on other websites it was commercially made by the Chinese.  It is Berdan primed, steel cased, non-corrosive, and lead cored. The box states that it is 122 FMJ.  Does anyone know of any ballistics data associated with this ammo?  How does this compare to other currently available commercial ammo for the same caliber; such as Winchester, Remington, Monarch, etc?

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Norinco 7.62x39 Ammo Pressures
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »
Well rule of thumb is the velocity is going to be in the 2300+ to 2400+ FPS range ... Energy should be in the 1500+ ft. lbs. range .. The chinese will load it as their parents ( Soviet Union) taught them i.e. If it isnt broke dont fix it  ;)
 China sport has been pretty hard to come by , not sure if the ban on chinese made arms importation affected their ammo imports as well but my guess is it did..

At last i saw it available was when one could still get russian milsurp ( brown paper box) ... I have used the china sport before and while it has been a long time ( 7 years + )

It always went bang , But my prefference was to the russian made at the time due to it being more available ..

Hope this helps ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline walker944

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
Thanks for the information, Default.  Any idea what the specs are for US made ammo: Winchester & Remington?

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Roughly the same  i would imagine .. I bought a single shot break action rifle to teach my neices on for their first hunting rig ... There wasnt enough flexiblity to really be able to reduce the load for them after finding it had alot more recoil then expected ... So the only way they can get it to go faster then the russian/chinese made conterparts is in the powder choice..

Word of caution thou.. The commercial american primers arent as tuff as the mil spec foriegn stuff and has been known to double tap and sometimes go out right full auto due to the heavy bolt slamming home to battery ( mostly the SKS) ... Figured it worth mentioning..

Heres a link to midways 7.62x39 page .. That will help you find more out about velocity options as far as comercially available ammo goes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=7534&categoryString=653***690***

Now if you get into hand loading for this caliber you do have a bit more freedom to wringe a little more out of this cartridge , but it will be all in the powder choice , since it has limited case space to get to wild with it .

Hope this helps
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline walker944

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Default.

My sole purpose for asking was because I also purchased a single shot 7.2x39, but some folks seem to think it can't handle the pressures of Asian ammo.  So, therefore the question about pressures/velocities, etc.  My biggest problem to date has been just getting the single shot to ignite the primer on the Asian ammo.  Seems the primers are either harder or deeper set than US ammo of the same caliber.  Either way, I have had my share of problems with it.  I might eventually get into reloading this round, but for now I'm sticking with US made ammo, even though I have a junk load of Asian (which is what I'd prefer to shoot).