Author Topic: Homemade cover scent recipes  (Read 878 times)

Offline Hawghead

• Trade Count: (0)
Homemade cover scent recipes
« on: September 12, 2003, 04:10:26 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has  homemade cover scent recipes other than turpentine/water or rubbing pine needles on you etc.  Looking forward to trying something different.

Going bow hunting tomorrrow morning here In Jawja (GA).

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Homemade scent cover
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 05:38:57 AM »
Hawghead:  you can go the pine needle route or you can squish a couple of ripe apples under your boots or step in some cow-pocki for the same cover.  I have used mint for a number of years.  The stuff grows wild around here and I cut a bunch of that and spearmint, let it dry, then put it into a bag with my hunting clothes and even wipe down the hunting blind with it.  Seems to work.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 06:25:37 AM »
When attempting to cover/mask my human odors, cover scents as a rule have not worked nearly as well for me as scent suppression. Cover scents have two major drawbacks: 1) no matter how powerful, they may not keep deer from smelling the no-no odors, and 2) if deer find them odd or out of place (too strong, not normally in this area, etc.) they can be as bad or worse than no cover at all.

I prefer scent suppression in the following order: 1) leave no scent trail by wearing rubber/synthetic lower pants/boots that are cleaned with unscented detergent solutions or baking soda paste; 2) laundering clothes and washing gear in unscented detergent and rubbing with dry baking soda.

There are no guarantees, but this seems to work best for me. :wink:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 09:43:28 AM »
you can use the unsented cloths wash and baking soda to clean you and your hunting stuff. then go get a bunch of pine needles and other strong smelling plants taht are around.  get an old pot and boil them all for a while in water let it cool off and scoop the plant stuff out of the mix  put it in a very clean spray bottle. you should have a nice natural sent
Make small batches and adjust the stuff in it to coraspond with what is around for the season

Offline Whitefeather

• http://www.geocities.com/whitefeather158/Parsons_Outdoor_Productions.html
Here's a recipe for home made scent eliminator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 03:32:38 PM »
New guy here. I'm a bowhunting talk forum junkie. Glad to be here.

Here is a home made scent eliminator.

Ingredients:
* 16 oz. (2 cups) hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution (normal type found in drug stores)
* 16 oz. (2 cups) distilled water
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 oz. unscented soap

Directions:
(1) Mix ingredients in large bowl so baking soda dissolves (water, then peroxide, then baking soda, then soap).
(2) Pour into clean 1 gal. plastic milk jug  
  Note: do not shake!
(3) Let sit at moderate temperature for several days until chemical reaction settles down. Note: do not leave in tightly sealed container (use milk jug with snap-on cap)!
(4) Pour prepared mixture into spray bottle(s) of your choosing.

Good luck to all this year :grin:

JP