Author Topic: Barrel Question  (Read 399 times)

Offline BMoeller

• Trade Count: (2)
Barrel Question
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »
I have a NEF 10guage with the heavy short barrel.  Can I put a rifled bull barrel on this reciever?  Thanks

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Barrel Question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
Check the FAQ's for full info, but the short answer is no.  The 10 guage is a beast of it's own.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
I thought the heavy 12g went on a 10g frame?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
I thought the heavy 12g went on a 10g frame?

You are correct in that I think, but rifle barrels will not fit.  The barrel diameter is too small, the firing pin is too big, etc.

There is a post on this on the next page of the forum where Mr. Guru Tim has answered this question.  I'm merely parroting what I read.

I did handle a 10 ga. recently however, and put a transfer bar in it for a friend, and I know it is a different animal from the rifle recievers, and the smaller shotgun recievers as well.

I have a 357 barrel that mounts on an sb1 shotgun frame, along with a 20 ga. barrel.  The 357's and 44's are ok as far as I know on the newer sb1 frames.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I have a NEF 10guage with the heavy short barrel.  Can I put a rifled bull barrel on this reciever?  Thanks

If you mean the #920 12ga Heavy Ultra Slug Hunter barrel, yes as long as your frame was made 1987 or later, see the FAQs build year info.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
I have a NEF 10 gauge with the heavy short barrel.  Can I put a rifled bull barrel on this receiver?  Thanks

If you mean the #920 12 GA Heavy Ultra Slug Hunter barrel, yes as long as your frame was made 1987 or later, see the FAQs build year info.  ;)

Tim

BINGO!! As usual, Tim is spot on correct!!!

The ultra slug guns are some what a different animal. The 20 GA is built on a 12 GA receiver and a 12 GA barrel, only bored to a 20 GA. The 12 GA is a 10 GA receiver and barrel, bored 12GA. The result from both is a thicker walled, stiffer hopefully more accurate barrel.
SO, as long as your receivers manufacture date falls with in the factories criteria, YES you can get a 12GA rifled, Ultra slug barrel factory fit!!  I LOVE both of mine!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BMoeller

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Oh well, thanks for the replies.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
I may be confussed and overstepping but were you asking about a rifled slug barrel or a rifle cart. bull barrel? Duh! I think I figured it out!!!