Author Topic: Question for those who have shortened thier barrels.  (Read 735 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Question for those who have shortened thier barrels.
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
I just bought a pardener 20guage, got it from wally world for 125 bucks out the door, pretty happy with that But I am not mich of a shotgunner and have some questions.

If you shortened the barrel you remove the choke, the ? how dose this effect the way it shoots and dose the range change much? I don't even know the effective range for this 20 as it is.

The reason for asking is, I would like to maybe shoot round balls out of this as a slug gun, (not as a reagular thing just be able to)maybe even using black powder or subs. I am looking also for simple ways of reloading my own shotshells, I will not use this alot so four or five shells at once would do I may never have more than one box on hand at any time.

This scatter gun will be a forageing tool and target of opertunity type thing, I know I can buy slugs but wheres the fun in that.

Thoughts are appriciated, Thanks Bob 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
Re: Question for those who have shortened thier barrels.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:55:15 PM »
cutting the barrel will remove the choke, it will be a cyl for the most part. which you will be able to shoot slugs out of.

for anything else the range will be the same but obviously your pattern will be much more spread out.

im planning a build such as yours out of one of my 12ga shotguns, and for about 50 bucks you can have a gunsmith thread it for chokes.

get some ext choke tubes, and you can change them very fast in the feild if something came up that either needed a load of buck or a slug.

good luck

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »
for anything else the range will be the same but obviously your pattern will be much more spread out.

Sounds like a perfect use for Federal Flight Control (Black Cloud) ammo, I'll be testing some in a 20ga modified Pardner just to compare to my TDC with Undertaker, if it works as good as what I've read about it, it would allow you to shoot cyl bore and have a decent pattern when you want it.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
I was thinking of doing the same thing, then I saw the 20 ga. compact with screw in chokes, 22" barrel. I called H&R and the 25C barrel is not offered as an accessory barrel. May be back to shortening the one I have. JamesIII

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:28:04 AM »
I have a 20 ga Pardner and am thinking of doing exactly the same thing - remove the modified choke so that I have a cylinder bore.   

How much has to be removed to achieve this??  (I'm a-thinkin' something like 2"???)

ALSO, does anyone know the outside diameter of the 20 ga?   I'd like to install a sight set but don't know the size.   Better yet, does anyone know a sight set that would fit?   Open sights, peep sight, anything?

Thanks.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
It is barely worth getting an accessory shotgun barrel. $100 by the time you are done. Order the 25C complete gun from Dick's, and swap the butt.  IMHO of course.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
I think I may have it sent to be cut for choke tubes later right now I think I like it the way it is.  I also think I am gonna pick up a 12 and .410 while they are still only 117.00 bucks. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
I have cut down all 3 of my Pardners (12ga and 2x20ga's) One of the 20's is 18.5" and the other 2 are both 20".
I have scoped one of my 20's and use it for shooting slugs. It shoots very well out to about 70 yds. At 50 yds. it will shoot 3 Sluggers into a baseball sized group.
I haven't patterned the 12 or 20ga. that are cut down to 20" but I have taken gray squirrels at 30+ yds. with both of them after cutting them down. The 12ga. shoots Sluggers good too but kicks like a pack mule :D
I haven't played around with the 20ga. cut to 18.5" yet... I would imagine it will still knock down some game. Right now it's looking like it's gonna be my 4 wheeler gun.
Cut down Pardners make for a nice shooting, light carrying shotgun and the 20's are easy to drill and tap for a scope if you see fit to do so. ;)
I had a .410 Pardner too that was cut to 20" (it became the stub for my 32-20). That gun was a real good slug shooter and I think it made for a better small game gun after the cut down.
The thing about cutting them down is that you can always have them threaded for tubes if you want to and you still have a great carrying woods gun.
Have fun with it... Pardners are like the Swiss Army Knife of the gun world... You can do anything with them.

Spanky