Author Topic: Bucket List - B&C Deer  (Read 515 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Bucket List - B&C Deer
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
I'n 62 and overweight.  I can't climb mountains anymore but I can sit on a stand all day long.  My life long ambition is a B&C buck.  I have come close in Idaho and Montana, but few if any opportunities present themselves in my native state of NC.  I do not wish to shoot a Texas high fence deer.  Where would you go if your ambition was to take a record book deer?                       

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Bucket List - B&C Deer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
Kansas, Iowa, or Illinois... Check the statistics and see what counties or regions have produced the most in the last 10 years.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:50:42 AM »
are you bothered by the cold?
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »
I hunted on three, 3-day late muzzleloader season in Pike Co. Illinois. Although I didnt take a Booner, I saw at least three on that farm. I passed on them due to excessive range for my Muzzleloader. What I would have given for my .300 WSM, if it were only legal! One guy killed a 223" Non-typical a few weeks before I arrived. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone during the early shotgun (or muzzleloader) season. The weather can be brutal, and the winds will chill you to the bone. I was relegated to a ground blind, but I saw more deer in three days than an entire season in NY.

Iowa, Kansas and Missouri are also top bets.  If you like to get really cold, Saskatchewan and Alberta have some monster deer as well, though they tend to be huge in the body, which makes juding antlers harder. B&C bucks arent around every corner, but there are a lot of big ones taken every year in these areas.