Author Topic: So what powder can you buy?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
So what powder can you buy?
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:25:07 AM »
It seems to me that a lot of the "old reliables" of gun powder are not going to be back on the shelf any time soon.  I'd love to find varget, h335, imr4350, imr3031 and so on, but I seem to strike out when I go looking. 

I know I can find Ramshot TAC, but I haven't read enough about it to know if it's worth buying. 

How many of use have been forced into switching powders just so you can load something up?

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Re: So what powder can you buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:41:26 AM »
Try wideners.com.  They are located in Johnson City TN.  The just got a new shipment of reloading supplies.
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »
TAC has worked real well for me in the 222 and 223.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
Well I bought a pound of Tac today.  I was completely surprised to actually come across some on the shelf at a local store.  I'm going to try it out in 223 and 30-30.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
 I'll take TAC over H335 any day. Yes when I powder shop now I have several alternates ready in case my 1st choices are out.
NRA, Veteran

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
a benchrest dude at the range told me about a place called powdervalleyinc.com when I asked him where the heck I could get vitavhouri powder.

when I looked on the website I noticed they were completely out of all bullets and brass

Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
Powder Valley does handle the VV powders Sinclair International handles it too, but the cost is more. Sinclair is not very far from me so I can drive there and save Hazmat fees. I just bought 8 pounds of N 133 and 8 pounds of TAC Through Powder Valley, I saved enough to cover Hazmat. Powder Valley is out of brass and primers, but I did buy 200 38 brass through them in the same order as the powder. VV N 133 shoots very well out of my A&B barreled 223 Stevens. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »
 ;) My pal just stopped inthe loading store in Glenrock. He found lots of BLC2, and other powders. Bullets and brass, the only thing not there was primers. We loaded up on I4350 a couple years ago, so haven't really checked that. He did say some pistol powders were in short supply, but things seem to be coming back slowly. the numbers of primers is still short, right now guys want small rifle, they are in short supply, but  about mth. ago I happened in to a little market and gunstore and bought 5000. Split them between my buddy and I. I think when the primers again come in the stores things will level out here. 8) ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:20 PM »
Sinclair is not very far from me so I can drive there and save Hazmat fees.

+1.  I think I am especially lucky to live within a half hour of Sinclairs, even though they are now owned by brownells.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 05:32:15 AM »
I stopped in my local relaoding store and found small rifle primers - shocked and elated now.

Then I almost checked out and remembered I needed some Varget and RE7.  They were down to the last pound of varget so I lucked out with that also.  I should be good to go for about a year now and hopefully this current chaos will be over by then.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I was just in my reloading store this morning, and he had just rec'd a shipment.  He got a thousand each on primers, and was selling by the sleeve.  He got a lot of powder, but none of the standards that we usually use.  Some of the ones he had I had no data on in my load books?

A young man there was investing over $1000.00 in reloading equipment, but did not have brass, primers, or powder....go figure.

Been looking for Varget and H110 for a couple months.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
I stopped in my local relaoding store and found small rifle primers - shocked and elated now.

Then I almost checked out and remembered I needed some Varget and RE7.  They were down to the last pound of varget so I lucked out with that also.  I should be good to go for about a year now and hopefully this current chaos will be over by then.

With the democrats owning all the Govt. as of today, the chaos is just getting ready to start

Offline mudstud

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 06:59:02 AM »
In my neighborhood, powder seems to be coming back on the shelves, and actually being there for more than a few minutes!  Right now, I can get RL15, RL22, RL25, IMR 4350, IMR4381, TAC, Varget, H4831, H4831SC, H4350, H1000. Retumbo, IMR7828, IMR7828SSC, and a whole slew of others that I can't remember right off the top of my head.  No H4895 or IMR4895 that I've seen. Primers for rifle or handgun, fuhget about it!  Brass is also being replenished.  Plenty of .223/5.56 ammo now.  The only ammo really difficult to get is handgun ammo in my neighborhood, with 45ACP and 9mm being the worst.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
Essentially all Accurate, Ramshot, and at least most Vihtavuori powders are available any time from several of the well-known suppliers.  It's only Hodgdon, some IMRs, and some Winchesters that seem to be short as far as I can see.  I'm not a particular Hodgdon fan anyway, so no big deal to me.  I'd like to get some more Win 760, but I'm not going to pay the $27/lb the local guy wants.  He has it in stock, but I can cover Hazmat plus still come out significantly ahead by buying just a couple pounds from any of several suppliers.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »
Try wideners.com.  They are located in Johnson City TN.  The just got a new shipment of reloading supplies.

I wouldnt order from Wideners unless you enjoy long waits for what you paid for.

I ordered 2 boxes of rifle bullets going on three weeks ago. Still havent shipped them-their excuse? We're having trouble printing shipping labels. Ever hear of a pen? I may offer to print a label with my shipping address on it and mail it to them so they can send me what I paid for, they sure didnt hesitate to charge my credit card.

Now I have no rifle bullets and am out the money I spent on rifle bullets with them for now.

They will noy get any repeat business from me.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »
 :D We were in the Black Hills this last few days. In S. D. there seemed to be powder, bullets, but primers were not there. Several areas had signs saying primers would be limited to 1000per customer. But they had none. :-\  I did find 700 cci 250's for 2.00 / hundred. ;D :D bought em for my pals son. ::)

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
For the past few weeks my local Walmart has had some powder in stock. I have purchased RL22 and Varget both. 15 lbs of RL22 and 31 lbs of Varget in last 4 trips. If your Walmart sells reloading components keep an eye open. They dont last long.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
I've actually never laid eyes on a pound of Varget.  Got BL-C(2) from Cabelas after about a month backorder.  Still waiting on my 8lbs of TAC to drop ship from supposedly available stock at Ramshot.

Managed to stock up on pistol powder at the Sportsman's Warehouse around the corner before it got put on the liquidation list.  Open a whole 4 months and doing great business according to the manager.  Only place in town selling reloading supplies now is Bass Pro and the only thing that is worse than their selection is their prices.  The Scheel's in Reno had a decent selection of powder but hardly worth the drive from Vegas.  I still can't believe that there are several big, nice sporting goods stores in Reno and only Bass Pro in Vegas.

As it is I'm good on powder and have at least as many bullets as I have primers...