Author Topic: cleanning cases  (Read 876 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
cleanning cases
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
I have some fired 40S&W case and i would like to make them into a key ring stuff thing. how would i clean them and is it safe to have something like that on your key ring(heavy metals and other things that are in ammo).?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: cleanning cases
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »
In most cases when they make a key ring they use a press to remove the old primer and flare the mouth a little.
Unsert an eye bolt and use two nuts back to back on the threads.
then they use super glue on the base of the bullet using a FMJ or ball round.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »
Brasso cleans them very well for the purpose you're considering.  If you have one, you could also use a case tumbler.  Then take a small loop of copper wire and solder it in the primer pocket.

This heavy metals fear has gotten way out of hand.  In the last 10 years there have been two very minor mercury spills and buildings have been evacuated.  Then people start going to the emergency room convinced they have mercury poisoning.  When I was a kid I played with mercury and still made it through higher education.  I think it quite unlikely that a bit of solder is going to hurt anyone especially if they wash their hands once in awhile.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
i pulled the old primer  and i got them ready, but i just trashed them. I had win clean cases. thanks for the help but i still worry about the lead and what not.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:58:40 PM »
There is not enough lead and fulminated Murcury in a handfull of cases to screw you up.
I guess you just need to go to a Bass Pro shop and buy a key chain already made.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »
i guess i will. On my key ring so far are a rabbit's foot,50BMG blue tip round(power and primer gone only),coyote tooth, hog horn,crows foot, turkey points, and a 454 round(there more but i don't feel like type all that on there). Every time i kill or shoot something i like to add a little something to my key ring.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
we played with the stuff in school !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »
That sounds like a pocket full.
You are going to need to cary a framed back pack if you keep going at this rate.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
some of it's on the key chain i carry and some are on the backpacks i use.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
OK,
With all the different stuff hanging off a single key chain you were making me nervous you sound like a bunch of the girls I dated.  Ever notice all the crap women have on their key rings?  The tend to have 5 or 6 key rings all tied together holding three to 5 keys.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »
i have a small dog chain with one end cliped to my front pants and the other end to the back, i have a sideing ring on the chain and my wallet in on that and my keys are on the back end.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
the older you get the less you will carry , at one time i would not go in the woods with out 20-30 buckshot , couple 3 knives and tons of other junk. now one knife , a gun a few extra rounds , truck keys , water snack gone .

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
Shootall,
Me too.  Depends on what I'm hunting but if it's big game what ever my rifle holds plus about 4 or 5 more in a holder.
some H20 some snacks and some toilet paper.
Now i leave the truck keys on the truck.  Usually a rear tire.  last thing I want to do is get back to the truck and find that I lost my car keys.  It's a 10 mile walk back to the house from the farm and then I need to break in to the house.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
I forgot the moon floss thank for reminding me !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »
the older you get the less you will carry , at one time i would not go in the woods with out 20-30 buckshot , couple 3 knives and tons of other junk. now one knife , a gun a few extra rounds , truck keys , water snack gone .

I only carry what i need. Most times i have a airgun with ammo, my CRKT m-16, water and some candy bars. that about it. Now when i used to go varmint hunting i would have the gun,500 rounds of ammo for gun, a chair, paper targets, and a hold lot of stuff.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
Why do you cary paper targets with you when you go varmint hunting?
I thought the Varmints would be the targets.  Or is this PETA hunting and you put up targets at different ranges and as a varmint pops up you shoot the paper target and record it as a varmint kill?
Sorry i could not resist being a wise butt.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
sometimes there nothing to shoot or i want to check to make sure i am on target.