Author Topic: When do you shoot best  (Read 628 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
When do you shoot best
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:40:28 AM »
When do you do your best shooting.

I work 24 hr shifts, So My best shooting usually happens in the morning, getting off shift. The more tired I am seems the better the groups are. Tired with maybe a bit too much coffee in me. Seems Im more relaxed. I seem to settle in behind the gun a little easier. Plus the mornings are nice & cool. Nobodys at the range. Thats when I shoot the best. How bout you?
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: When do you shoot best
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »
I think the key is being relaxed and not having any distractions - or learning how to "tune out" all the distractions.

Years ago I shot some bullseye matches and some of the old timers swore by a good stiff shot or two of "group tightener" before going to the line to shoot!

I never tried that and certainly don't recommend it, but I saw them shoot some darn nice scores!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:21:47 AM »
Plus the mornings are nice & cool. Nobodys at the range. Thats when I shoot the best. How bout you?

I sure can relate to the swing shift and much shooting and hunting after 3rd shift. It is like you have the world to yourself.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
when i want to hit with i am aiming at or i am just shooting away. I shoot in the rain,wind(up to 45mph) and as long as it's still safe to shoot. I once killed a rat the was running across the street in the midle of a hurricane. I was inside and watching t.v when the eye of the hurricane pass over. well i looked outside to see how bad it was(a tree fell right infront of our home) when i saw this rat come out of a hole and started to lick it's self. I got my crosman 2200(loved that gun) and well i got it at 45 yards with a wadcut pellet. i was going to get it but the eye moved and i ran back inside were it was safe. body was gone after the hurricane left.

to me if you shoot in all weather it makes you a better shot.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
I know what you mean.
In 85 I was at VF Military academy and on the pistol team.
In November I ran the USMC marathon and tore all the muscles in my legs, arms, and back.
I really did not train for the marathon as I was on the team and ran with the team on the weekends but was not on the cross country team like everyone else.
With being so sore and all my muscles being jello I had to shoot in a match against the Coast guard Academy the next day back from the Marathon and I shot my very est score ever.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
When it's the difference between fresh meat or tag soup, under pressure
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »
the first day I shot the running boar target to practice for my German hunting license test I got 9 of 10 in the kill zone.  The old German dude running the range was might impressed.  I went back the next week and only got about 4-5 of 10.  He told me I was probably nervous and that I should go into the restaurant and have a "zwei schnapps".  What I think he really meant was you should go and have a couple shots of jagermeister and then come back...  Didn't do it... I'm too American and too military.  No alcohol when shooting.  I've broke that rule once or twice sort of at social hunts here.  You drive hunt in the morning and then have lunch.  Lunch is about two hours and includes soup, wursts, potato salad, schnitzel on bread (sandwich basically) and beer.  30-40 dudes standing around with beer in their hand and rifles over their shoulder is just a strange sight to us...  Then you go hunting again after lunch.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"