Author Topic: Why on earth do I need another rifle?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Why on earth do I need another rifle?
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »
I own rifles primarily to hunt with and spend some time at the range to get better at shooting for hunting purposes. I live too far from a gun range to take up organized, competition shooting. But my monthly, or every 6 - 8 weeks, trips to the range are sufficient to keep my rifles and me tuned for a hunt. I own rifles/calibers to cover almost all game in N. America from squirrel to elk, .22 LR through .30-06. I really have no desire to own a cartridge with more velocity/bullet weight than the .30-06.

Here's the thing...I REALLY want to get a new rifle. Why is this "disease" so difficult to kick? I even have brand new rifles that I have never shot but still want a new one! I certainly don't need one. Why can't I just be satisfied with what I have...perfect hunting cartridges and rifles for my use. I'm happy with the car I drive...I don't want a new one. I'm happy with the house I live in...I don't want a new one. I love all my rifles...But I WANT more!

Okay, off to the gun shop...just to look.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Shiner

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why on earth do I need another rifle?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
LOL have fun "looking", and let us know what you end up buying!! I suffer from the same affliction....

Offline no guns here

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »
If you're like me... it's two or three reasons...

One - there's always something new and cool or something old and nostalgic that strikes your fancy

Two - I can't afford new cars two or three times a year but I can buy guns that often so my money goes to things that bring me somewhat more immediate satisfaction than waiting five years for a new car

Three - Heck I don't NEED another... now that the wife understands that I just buy them because I WANT them things are much easier at home

For probably most of us on here, it's a WANT, not a need.  We keep buying anyway...

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:33:09 AM »
NEED? What the heck has need got to do with it? If ya want one get one. It's still America for a little while longer tho likely not a whole lot longer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:12:31 AM »
Same with recurves and long bows with me.  I find a garage sale on the way home, stop and buy a 10 cent lamp shade, and tell the wife on the way through to my room: "It's only another cheap light for my room."  Of course, that only works two or three times!!   ::)  I just chalk it up to the kid in us!  At least my wife says I'll always be a kid, so...    ;)

Have fun: hunt hard--life's short!!

Arch

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:39:01 AM »
No different than collecting art. You enjoy them and need no other excuse. The fact they are useful is a bonus, the fact they are designed as useful is what is hanging you up. Kind of like a Tiffany lampshade or ashtray.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:50:59 AM »
Yes, all good points. I just picked up an old Marlin in .44 mag and a used Aimpoint to mount on it. This will be a nice little whitetail gun, if I ever get to hunt whitetail. I may take it on my next hog hunt too. Now, I just need to get a set dies for my Dillon Square Deal B and I'll never need another deer rifle ever again...just kidding!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
for me if i had a car right now i would never need to ask "Why on earth do I need another rifle?". If i saw one then i would get it. Shoot right now my room look like a war room. There about 50 airsoft guns all over the place from the AKs to Mp-5, there is swords , slingshots, hunting airrifles, air hand guns, poster of guns stuff, books on guns, bags of 00,0,000,32cal -75cal shot , and my pets rat cage is sitting on top of a case of airsoft/ airgun ammo. When i did have a few fire arms i kept them locked up and the ammo was locked in a steel safe, just to be safe.

i would never stop buying guns unless i 1. ran out of money for them or 2. ran out of room.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
You should consider a modern crossbow for fun target shooting and possibly hunting, too.

My Ohio cousin sent me this photo.  Its a dandy buck that only was able to complete a couple jumps before toppling over.

TR

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
I feel for you.
I am the same way.
I just finally took the last two I bought out to the range two weeks ago and while getting ready for that trip I was planning and thinking of what rifle I wanted to get next.
But after looking at the gun shop shelves......Looks like 270 win or any of the wsm rounds gould be the option only bacause there is ammo for them.  Neither would be my choice... But you can't just have the rifle you also need to be able to sight it in.
I am looking at getting a good knock around rifle ( plastic stock and stainless steel) in a standard hunting round for deer and pigs.
My choice is going to be 308.  while I would love to get a 6.5X55 or even a 7X57 but the ammo selection for a NO lead option for some of the areas here in CA are going to have me in the 308, 30-06, or one of the other 30 cal mags. 

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
BRL, I am not a Physician or a Shrink but I have a home remedy that will help. When you finally get so desperate that you're willing to do anything to kick the vile habit of wanting another rifle. Do what I do; buy another handgun, and another, and another. Pretty soon you will be so afflicted with the craving for new handguns that you will find relief from the rifle affliction. BTW - my cure for the irrepressible urge to buy more handguns is to go back to buying rifles. Like I said, I'm not a Doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:55:56 AM »
Good one v-man. Then you can add buying safes in the mix. I am already close to capacity with mine.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »
Got my rifle safe and was told to "forget about filling it up!"  Guess what?  No more room.  Should have built a walk in when I had the chance and I will probably get two more guns this afternoon.  I suppose I should take the wall hangers out and display them around the house to make more room.  My hunting partner has willed all of his gear to me and at that time will increase my aresenal significantly.

Where, oh where, have all of the bullet making components gone?  With every new gun purchase comes the need for reloading gear. 

I am with mcwoodduck on this one...a 308 is in my future.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
You don't need another rifle. Buy one you like and don't look back.  ;D
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline DDZ

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I never had a big hankering for many rifles. Once I had a couple of deer rifles and a couple of varmit rifles, I never hand a want for much more. Now when it comes to hand guns thats a differant story. Either a wheel gun or a semi, I always had more fun shooting them, and the straight walled hand guns cases are eaiser and faster to load. When I have the money to buy a gun its almost always a hand gun. One rifle I kind of always wanted but never got was a 7mm STW. I have no idea what I would need it for, but maybe someday.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
I used to do that a lot. It was frustrating on which rifle to take when I left the house. Long range? Short range? Medium range? :-\  What if, what if?  ::) As I got older, I got tired of the indecision, and after considering that the area had grown up, I sold all but two 22s, two lever actions, and one auto rifle. About the only one I ever carry now is the Model 92 Winchester clone in 357 magnum. It will handle ANYTHING in the state of Texas, and I am good up to about 165 yards on coyote sized critters, and it will handle the biggest of hogs. Oh yea. I less frustrated too. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:32 PM »
No different than collecting art. You enjoy them and need no other excuse. The fact they are useful is a bonus, the fact they are designed as useful is what is hanging you up. Kind of like a Tiffany lampshade or ashtray.

Well said Empty Quiver.

I am always looking at 'new' guns.   I recently picked up a custom made Mauser.  Now its a well made custom but I already had others that looked ok and shot well.   All the fun I am having with the new rifle!

Offline DDZ

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
Dee, thats a good way to look at it. One thing about shooting and hunting with one rife is. You get good with it.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
I cant wait till I'm like Dee. I got it bad, sometimes I wont go shooting just because I cant decide what rifle and who I want to be that day. I wish the process would hurry up!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
Trust me guys, you may not break you habit, but age will be there soon enough. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 03:52:36 AM »
Dee, I'm looking forward to that day. I've considered it many times and have convinced myself several times that all I need (for my hunting) is my .243 and AR-10 in .308 and my Redhawk in .44 mag. Then, sell the rest and buy a nice .22. It makes a lot of sense, in theory. One day, I'll be there.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist