Author Topic: White Deer  (Read 1192 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
White Deer
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:14:38 AM »
This a quite unusual herd of deer.  I seen one white buck while hunting on government land just North of Macon, Ga back in the early sixties.  The local game warden clled him "The Goast."  He said there were near 20 reports of the animal being shot, but it always survived.  I hope it finally died of ols age..............enjoy! 8)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=inwi10s22a3q81f

Offline okielectrician

• Avid Poster
Re: White Deer
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
They are beautiful animals,we have a few in Oklahoma and I am glad they are protected. :)
Thank God for the woods and the critters that inhabit them

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »
Saw a beautiful 8 point albino buck in southern Indiana a number of years ago.  My brother was driving and telling me about folks seeing it in the area where we were headed.  I was just exponding my great wisdom  ::)  about how they probably didn't/wouldn't live long enough being all white to grow a decent rack.  The Good Lord can humble me so quickly--I flipped on his big spotlight, and 'Presto!', there it stood just at the field edge in all its white glory.  And it was beautiful with a honey-colored 8 point rack in the upper 120s +/- for score.

The crow in the humble pie didn't taste too bad that night.   ;D

Arch

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
Seen a few.  I think they suffer from very poor vision.

Why would they be protected?  Aren't they genetically inferior?

Offline okielectrician

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
They are protected because being all white in a colored habitat makes them an easy target not just from hunters but from other predators,and yes they are suppose to have bad eyesight as well.
Given that its amazing any of them exist at all even with certain states protecting them.
Genectically I believe they are just born with no color pigment.wich can affect any animal species.
They are just rare. :)
Thank God for the woods and the critters that inhabit them

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:17:17 AM »
Excellent video RockBilly! That's pretty close to my neck of the woods. We see quite a few Albinos up here. Here's another video of a Wisconsin Albino. Check out the rack on this guy:

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzr9rhDPxfA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzr9rhDPxfA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
There was a white doe down at my folks place in Salem, Missouri.  She came under my stand during archery season 2008.  She was beautiful to watch.  There were a bunch of young bucks chasing her around until she came under my stand.  The neighbor ended up taking her during rifle season that year.  We were saddened to hear that "Whitey" was no longer with us....  :(
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »
  There's enough of them in Michigan, that they are no longer protected.  I've seen quite a few of them in NY too.

DM

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
    There was a white deer in Shinglehouse PA. many years ago. The locals watched it all summer. The word was passed around that no one damn well better shoot that deer when the season opened. My wifes uncle lived about a half mile from where the deer was seen and hunted that area a lot. On the second day of the season old unc says what the heck and killed it. The word was he took so much heat over it that he left and moved to Idaho. This story came from his mother and two of his brothers. His two brothers wouldn't even talk to him anymore.
     bobg

Offline gunrac

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:52 AM »
Ghost, Albino, whatever you want to call them, even tho some may be big an pretty to look at, they are still Piebald deer. These are inferior deer. Bad genetics, mostly caused by inbreeding. Even a normal lookin deer may be carrying the bad blood an drop an inferior piebald after the next breeding season. IMO, these deer should be culled rather then preserved. 
NEVER APOLOGIZE....
AS IT SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAKNESS

"You just can't fix stupid" John Wayne

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:27:48 AM »
These are inferior deer. Bad genetics,

Nature agrees with you on that and does all it can to do away with them as quickly as possible. Only man tries to interfere and mess up what nature has decreed proper.

But Albino and pie bald are two different abnormalities they aren't the same and albinos aren't properly pie balds.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 05:41:58 AM »
A friend of my msons has a place North of me and they have a few there, I saw one on the back pastures on my place during the summer a few years ago but it either left or was run off by coyotes, and I am glad its gone would not want it to be know it was on the property turning the place into a curious thing to see place.   Jim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 05:55:15 AM »
If it were a nice buck I would shoot it. if some didn't like it oh well.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline gunrac

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 02:42:34 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard

But Albino and pie bald are two different abnormalities they aren't the same and albinos aren't properly pie balds.

After doing a search, I found you are indeed correct. I was going off a personal assumption.
My buddy had shot an killed a pie bald doe. This thing was snow white with the pink eyes. The hair on it was considerably longer an thicker then a normal deer. It was short an squatty. Had a nose that was short an fat, reminded you of Snoopy's nose. It's ankles an hoove's were also way oversized.

I can see in the near future are turkey bag limit's will soon be on the rise. We can take 2 beards in the spring, an 1 of either sex in the fall. It wasn't all that long ago you would never see one in central Ohio. {Agriculture section of the state.} They have always been down in the southern an eastern part of the state. I took 1 last week an it was loaded with soy bean's an just a couple acorns. I just can't fathom are farming community tolerating another critter eatin up there crops.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....
AS IT SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAKNESS

"You just can't fix stupid" John Wayne

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:01 PM »
I've never seen one in the woods but saw a deer that was all white on the whole back half of it. It was crossing a dirt road. I thought that its head was odd shaped. It was shorter than any deer head I have ever seen. My Indian friend says that all albino animals bring good luck. He wouldn't shoot one he says.

The Hermit

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 03:52:57 AM »
They are not protected here in Montana

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »
There is a healthy herd of white deer on the old Romulus army base in upstate N.Y. and they are not albino. Some have gotten out over the years and are in the general population of deer. I have never heard of them being protected here in N.Y.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga