Author Topic: .36 cal eye opener!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.36 cal eye opener!
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
My buddies and I (we were in our late teens early twenties) had went out on some BLM land and did some target shooting into a cutbank, afterwards leaving along one the fire roads up one the side draws was a old rusted bucket like a milk pail. it was approx 50 yds up along the side of the ravine, my friends thought it would be a good idea to try and shoot that old rusty bucket, they loaded up a replica .36 cal open top colt, they wanged away at it at the distance they were shooting it looked like a thimbal, what got my attention was the accompanying puff of dust off to the side further up the draw, so I paid closer attention the round ball was hitting the gound (mainly gravel & small stones) and bounceing up the ravine, the most ricochet I witnessed was 3 bounces up the ravine twards the top the hill where the ball passed from view over 300yds away!
I hadent realized till that day just how dangerious them little round lead balls were and how much energy they held as they went bouncing up that ravine.
As Im older I definately keep an eye out for ricochet while fireing whither its a cap & ball, rimfire or centerfire!

Offline FourBee

Re: .36 cal eye opener!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:33 AM »
Yes; those black powder guns are plenty powerful, and easily shoot 100 yards.   The Round Balls not only ricochet, they'll bounce straigt back too.   Round Balls won't penetrate hard objects as bullets will.   Even an old tree stump will throw a ball right back a good 10 yards.

4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
Okay, time for me to chime iin so y'all can call me a liar.

I live deep in the remote Utah desert, where one can shoot as far as the eye can see and the local mountains are my backdrop.
One of my favorite areas to shoot is not far from where I live. At one time, I had target frames erected at 7, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards and had measured the exact location for a 300-yard frame. This 300-yard site was right at the crest of a small rise that contained numerous man-sized rocks.
Well, the BLM Ranger came along one day while I was shooting and informed me that my target frames had to go; no permanent structures could be erected on public land.
There was no sense in arguing; I took the frames down.
But I still go to that same spot and recognize where the frames once stood, especially the 300-yard site.

Well, one day I stoked up my Colt 2nd generation 1851 Navy, .36 caliber, with 24 grains of Goex FFFG, .380 lead ball, greased felt wad and Remington No. 10 cap.
Just for fun, I decided to see if I could hit that rocky crest at 300 yards.
I kept raising the front, walking those 84-grain balls toward the crest. It was particuarly dry, so a good puff of dust was raised by each ball's impact.
Eventually, I found that if I placed the nose of the cocked hammer right where the barrel met the cylinder, that elevated the gun enough to make an occasional 300-yard hit on a rock.
If I didn't hit the man-sized or larger rock outright, I was within a few feet.
It taught me that a lead ball will carry accurately a lot farther than I had thought. Now, I knew it would carry some distance, no bullet just drops to the ground after 100 yards or so (unless it's a weak load), but I was surprised and delighted at the consistency with which it would deliver the ball to the same area.
I believe that I could have put all 6 balls into a 4X8-foot sheet of plywood at 300 yards, or most of the balls, anyway.
In the old days -- and even today in a pinch -- such shooting would keep an aggressor's head down at 300 yards, if not hit him.
Frankly, I was helped by the 7-1/2 inch barrel on the Navy, which not only increases velocity but the longer sight radius aids alignment. I don't believe I could get the same results with a 4-inch barrel.

Anyway, there you have it. My limited experience at shooting my Colt .36 at very long range. I used to think that 100 yards was about its maximum effective range but now believe it's closer to 200 in practiced hands, and out to 300 to keep an aggressor unnerved.

The late gun writer and bullet developer Elmer Keith often said that the acid test for accuracy of any cartridge is to shoot it at very long range. If it groups consistently at long range, then it will also be accurate at shorter ranges.
Shooting at long range magnifies any inaccuracies, slight or significant.
If you have an accurate gun, it will retain its accuracy at long range. If it's not accurate at 100 yards, you can't expect it to be accurate at 300.
I guess I'm blessed to have an exceptionally accurate Colt 1851 Navy. It has proven so many times at the 25 and 50 yard ranges; the shots at 300 yards merely confirmed it as a keeper.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
I built a "Kentucky" pistol from a kit some 25 yrs ago, and in a hurry to see how it shot, I loaded it up and let loose at my chop block, a hardened black gum stump.  The ball came straight back about four times its original size, several times its original temperature, and stuck right in the middle of my bare chest.

Yep, they will bounce!
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
So, mechanic, you're telling us that at least for a short time, you had three balls?  ;D
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline FourBee

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
make an occasional 300-yard hit on a rock

Hey Gatofeo; what you said is right on.   I had a similar experience and was absolutely amazed how straight a .44 caliber revolver will shoot beyond 100 yards.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
Took my replica 1856 tower enfield smoothbore pistol .65cal. Was firing a a patched .610 ball over 50 grains pyro R/S. was i ever surprised when the mishapen ball bounced back from the railtie backstop. I was shooting from 20 yds and the ball came back almost half of that.

NG

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
We used to shoot at old bowling pins at a hundred yards with Navy and Army Colts and after a while it wasn't much of a challenge at all. My 2nd Gen Navy and and Army handled it with ease. Once tried it with my Walker, but it was too hard on those old pins. Here in the east it's hard to find a place where you can shoot at long ranges, but as Gato mentioned, Elmer Keith started out with an old Colt Navy and well knew what these guns could do.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
had the same experience with a 255 grain .45 colt slug.
Boom , thud, High pitched whistle and a second thud.
the second thud was from the impact to my groin
of the returning slug. Gave the term Blue B---S
a whole new meaning.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".