Author Topic: Round Ball Recycle - Equipment List Needed -  (Read 994 times)

Offline David L

• Trade Count: (0)
Round Ball Recycle - Equipment List Needed -
« on: September 13, 2003, 06:18:23 AM »
I know I’ve asked a lot of questions but I’m relatively new to modern BP shooting and all the toys that go with it.

I’m getting tired of buying all those round balls. I’m not a rich man but do not mind buying quality equipment. I saw that movie “The Patriot” with Mel Gibson melting down little toy lead soldiers to make his round balls. Question is, who makes this type of equipment and what do I need to get started in making round balls of my own? I also saw a post (I think it was Gatofeo) about making a box to catch my round balls and recycle them, I’m in the process of that right now. I just can’t bring myself to just leave them sitting on the range….The RB’s that is……

Again, Thanks for the help

David L

Offline JRWHITETAIL

ROUND BALLS
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 10:36:14 AM »
David L, Yes there is a way to make round balls yourself. You can start small and then get as big into this as you like. But I WORN YOU This can become a fever you cant kill. First you go to your favorite gun shop. And buy the LYMAN reloading manual. This will give you the basics on how to mold. Then you get a mold to fit your cal. of your gun. Then you go to the scrap yard ( recycle yard ) and buy some old lead pipe. DO NOT TRY ANYTHING WITH BATTERIES!  BAD!!! You can mold your own and shoot for next to nothing.
Praise GOD, and pass the ammo!

Offline David L

Round Ball Recycle - Equipment List Needed
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 03:06:42 PM »
Yeah, read a book....OK.... I can go with the trial and error method, no problem.

Thanks for the reply

David L

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 07:01:01 PM »
Both Lee and Lyman make round ball moulds. The Lee moulds are far cheaper and can be had in double cavity for some sizes.

You'll need a way to melt the lead, a ladle of some sort to dip it out and pour it into the mould. For RBs that's about it really.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JRWHITETAIL

ROUND BALL
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 02:10:42 AM »
Graybeard is right, you don't need much to make round balls. A mold, a pot to melt the lead, a dipper for pouring, and heat source.
Praise GOD, and pass the ammo!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 06:35:44 AM »
While I don't shoot BP, I do cast for those that do, and know that some are real picky as to the diameter of their bullets. Some rifles shoot well with one diameter of RB, but if t's off by .002' they claim the ammo is not accurate. Maybe patch thickness has something to do with it. Perhaps someone who knows more about this situation can advise David L before he goes out and buys a mold for his smoke pole. 8)

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
David,some more to read!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 05:11:42 AM »
I have cast over a campfire,you just have to wait until the flame goes down enough for you to be able to cast.A lot of times you can find good bag moulds on Ebay or Auction Arms,just look at the mould cavities very closely and make sure that they will produce a good round(not oblong) ball.You will need some type of lead ladle-AND SAFETY glasses!!!!It may be period correct to be blind but it would sure be nice to be able to fire those balls you made into a winter's supply of venison!May I recommend Rapine as a source of the moulds,possibly a lead ladle as well.Lead cable sheathing from junkyards has been a good source,if you can scratch it with a fingernail it is good for muzzleloaders.If you are shooting a cap and ball revolver remember to use something over the ball to prevent chain firing(cover charged chambers with a percussion as well!)Welcome to muzzleloading and play it safe!If I can be of any help just call me at 276-783-9746,Jeff. :D
John 3:16

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 05:01:06 PM »
I cast for a couple of different sizes of balls and went with the less expensive, come with handles and leave no sprue tail Lee double molds. I like them and they do a good job for me. Casting a couple different sizes (454 and 457) allows enough cooling time once up and running to alternate molds during a casting session. Of course I use only pure lead and not reclaimed range lead for the purpose as I do want to actually get them rammed onto my load. I leave found lead for casting bullets and just rely on the pure stuff I buy for my C&Bs.
Casting is fun and I bought my whole initial outfit from Midway for about $225. The only thing I would change is to not bother with the thermometer, I used it once and then learned to read my temp from the pot and the look of the casted balls/bullets. In retrospect, I would probably not buy the flux either, since I have found that bullet lube works just as well. You can save a lot of money casting your own and it is very enjoyable to boot.  :grin:
I got a
Lee 20lb pro pot
Molds
Scoop/ladel
Mold release spray
Ingot mold
Book
Flux
Thermometer
30lbs of pure lead
2lbs of tin
That should get you started, but you will soon progress to bullets and it gets even more fun then. You can scavenge wheel weights and add a touch of tin to them and they work great for bullet casting at the ranges and loads I use ( cowboy action shooter ) and the fun comes in experimenting with different combos and molds. You won't be sorry you got into it. I promise.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 06:07:22 AM »
You need just what you saw in the movie Patriot.  A fire, a ladle, a mold, and some toy soldiers.

Rummage around in the woods to get your supplies for the fire.

You can bend a soup ladle handle out so for a serviceable ladle.

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com will sell you the mold (I use Lee).

I'm at a loss though for toy lead soldiers.  Only place I've found 'em is at museums, and they didn't like my idea of melting 'em for musket balls.  I did find a sufficient substitute - the local scrapyard and plumber shops.  Get sewer lead.  That stuff is soft.

If'n you really get into it, you may consider it worthwhile to have a toy soldier mold made.  That way you can cast the lead into a soldier first.  Then melt the soldiers one-at-a-time to make a proper musket ball.

Then see if you can convince your boss to wear a red wool jacket. . .
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 01:16:16 AM »
David

I started casting and am still using an old Coleman propane camping stove as a heat source, still using an old 1 qt cooking pot I got at a thrift store for a container, and bought a ladle and molds.  For the pure lead roundballs I still use the original stuff.  Oh, I also picked up an old muffin tin when I was at the thrift store for casting ingots.  

I did go and get a cast iron pot when I started casting rifle bullets for my 40-70, and get a lot more iron oxide to clean off from the rusting from this than from the stainless cooking pot.    

I'm making perfectly acceptable round balls and bullets on the back porch using this equipment.  It's a lot cheaper than buying electric pots, and I'd rather ladle pour anyway.  I can see what I'm doing.  

I got about 350 lbs sheet lead from a local metals dealer, and that will last me a while.  For round balls do not use wheel weights or buckshot, they both have tin and antimony and are way too hard.  You want pure, or as close to pure lead as you can get.  Several sources have been mentioned.  

Lee roundball molds are fine, you don't have to get more expensive than this for roundballs.  The alumunium molds are also somewhat less finicky to use.  Remember, in cap and ball pistols you are swaging the ball to fit when you load, so the only thing you need to be careful of is to get a big enough ball mold.  

It is addictive, just as any convenient money-saving process is.  I started with rb's for my Cap and Ball pistols and am now casting for three rifles and a pistol as well!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!