Author Topic: How long of a shot would you take  (Read 4740 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
How long of a shot would you take
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
To me hunting has a moral and ethical side, weather the shot be with a bow or rifle or shotgun. I watched a guy shoot at a mule deer one day until he
emptied his 7 mag, then ask me if i thought i could shoot it for him, i said i could not. the buck was about 275yds, i would have taken the shot for myself
To get to my question how long is to long with a bow, i know it depends on the practice time and equipment, but say you have practised all year and 3
months before elk season you practice 1-1/2 hours 3 days a week under every concieveable conditions upside down,sideways and behind every bush.
what would be the longest shot you could moraly and ethicaly take :o
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: How long of a shot would you take
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
This may sound stupid but maybe not. The shot you take is the 1 that you absolutely, positively know will hit exactly where you want it to. Lost count of the deer I have let walk at full draw because there was a shadow of a doubt. Probably why I dont kill a lot of deer with my recurve.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »
Depends on alot of factor`s such as one`s on ability to keep the shots in the kill zone at your chosen range limit. This can only be determined by lot`s and lot`s of quality practice with arrow`s well tuned to the bow and a well tuned bow. With a traditional bow on whitetails I try to keep within 20-25 yards as my limit, naturally if they are closer even better!
Now let`s go where we have to change our situation where 20-25 yard shot`s are remote such as hunting caribou around Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I had the opportunity to go on this hunt right at Prudhoe Bay, and let me tell you had better practice for some shot`s out at the 40 - 55 yard range. There is no cover just essentially flat tundra. Camouflage does very little in concealment because even if you are flat on the ground you still standout like a white flamingo in a flock of solid pink flamingo`s!!
The only place to hide would be down inside the Sag River bed. But than you could only hope that they might decide to cross within your range.As I said I was using a Traditional Dakota Longbow.
My oldest son and his buddy were using compounds. My son`s buddy lucked out on the first day and I  scared a herd towards the river and he was hiding just barely down on the side of the river bed at the point where the herd crossed within 20 yards of him . He shot a bull. Several day`s later my son shot a bull at 70 yards and killed it with a shot to the jugalar vein.So  as I said depends on alot of factors.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
On elk sized game in good conditions I think I'd try at 50.  On whitetail I figure 30 to be about the limit.  The target size isn't as big of an issue as the fact that deer will jump the string.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:42:44 AM »
On elk sized game in good conditions I think I'd try at 50.  On whitetail I figure 30 to be about the limit.  The target size isn't as big of an issue as the fact that deer will jump the string.

This is the kind of answer i was looking for, thought i had covered all the maybes and what ifs .
it does take lots of practice, but when it comes down to tripping the triger, you have to believe, and know your own limits
not what some else did yesterday.
Rex

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »
Like Squirrel, I let lots of deer walk, as well as other animals over the years, if everything wasn't absolutely the way I wanted it.  I hate guys saying, especially the pitiful crop of TV mush, "I think I got a good shot."  I've bow hunted for over 55 years, and, I suppose way back in the '50s and '60s, I may have taken shots and thought that, but today when I release an arrow I don't think, I know I've taken a good shot.  I play the game different than the question posed: instead of asking how far, I work hard to answer the question, "How close was I when I took the shot?"  In the last 20 years or so I've collected black bears, elk, deer, and an assortment of other game with bow shots well under 20 yards, placed the arrow exactly where I wanted it, and witnessed most of that game dying within my view--great tracking that way!

No easy answer to the question, but I like Squirrel's answer.  Just remember to respect the quarry every time you go afield.

Best of luck, Arch

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »
Arch hit the nail on the head, I practice daily from 20 to 40 yards, and when the weather is great I have a state park close by that affords me they type of conditions that I might face in the woods while hunting at those yardages indicated.  But my object when I hunt is to get as close as possible.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:45:15 AM »
Like Squirrel, I let lots of deer walk, as well as other animals over the years, if everything wasn't absolutely the way I wanted it.  I hate guys saying, especially the pitiful crop of TV mush, "I think I got a good shot."  I've bow hunted for over 55 years, and, I suppose way back in the '50s and '60s, I may have taken shots and thought that, but today when I release an arrow I don't think, I know I've taken a good shot.  I play the game different than the question posed: instead of asking how far, I work hard to answer the question, "How close was I when I took the shot?"  In the last 20 years or so I've collected black bears, elk, deer, and an assortment of other game with bow shots well under 20 yards, placed the arrow exactly where I wanted it, and witnessed most of that game dying within my view--great tracking that way!

No easy answer to the question, but I like Squirrel's answer.  Just remember to respect the quarry every time you go afield.

Best of luck, Arch
I respect what you are saying and agree with every word.
their still has to be a cut of point, i fully understand getting as close as possible is the trick, but you still have a stopping point, if 20 yards is the answer then that is the longest shot, my point is every one has a limit and that limit will vary with different people.
Rex

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:36 AM »
I think I agree with most everyone's general statements. For me, it's a combination of the size of the game and the conditions. On white-tails, my personal limit is 40 yards, assuming an average sized deer and clear conditions. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime buck and in perfect conditions (no wind, no brush in the way, broadside, and he doesn't have a clue, etc.), then I might be willing to extend it to 45 yards. On the other hand, if it's a smallish deer, getting dark, windy, or in thick brush I probably won't shoot more than 30 yards - maybe not even that far.

I've never hunted anything bigger than whitetails, but for things the size of elk and moose I'd probably say something like 50 yards would be the limit. At much more distance than that, I would start to wonder whether if there's enough kinetic energy to penetrate deeply on a moose-sized animal at 50 yards or farther.

For me, we've got a 3D course at my sportsman's club that I shoot 2-3 times per week from many different positions to keep in practice.
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Twice I have shot a Whitetail at 40 yds. Both times I vowed to not do it again. The arrow hung in the air for what seemed five seconds, more than enough time for a deer to decide to feed into the distance. It seems like a good way to wound and lose an animal. Both times the deer stood calmly through out the shot and it worked out fine, just watched the arrow fly for too long to suit me. It's been 14 years so this time I'm doing pretty good with my promise to myself.

Went to a stick bow five years ago, now it seems to be about twenty yds is my magic place. Much past that and I over think the shot and invariably miss the first shot. Targets are one thing but the game deserves better from me.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:31 AM »
My "comfort" zone was out to about 30 yards.   My bow was a Red Wing re-curve. 
     One thing about hunting with a bow, you get to "watch" a lot of game as they are outside of your comfort zone.  At least I did.   :) 

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 04:20:12 AM »
     One thing about hunting with a bow, you get to "watch" a lot of game as they are outside of your comfort zone.  At least I did.   :) 

Thanks guys guess that is what i was really asking about "comfort zone"
everyone has one in every thing you do, it varys with what you are doing.
Rex

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »
My "comfort zone" is inside 30 yds. I shoot okay but I tend to overthink too much. I've let a bunch walk, while whispering "I'll see ya during gun season".  Some I see again, some I don't. My youngun is quite comfortable and accurate out to 40 yds and may take a 50yd shot if called on, under the right conditions. He had a good teacher I reckon, because he's started telling me about letting deer walk if he ain't completely certain. Now, that makes my heart feel right!

HWD

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »

My comfort zone is 20yds.  I can hit the vitals at 50 but the question is not whether or not yuou can hit the target.  It is whether or not you can PENETRATE IT!.[/b]
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »

My comfort zone is 20yds.  I can hit the vitals at 50 but the question is not whether or not yuou can hit the target.  It is whether or not you can PENETRATE IT!.[/b]
Actually I don't think that's it.  I think the question is whether or not the vitals are still there when your arrow gets there. 

Offline okielectrician

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
You also need to consider the time of day,if its late and you have an animal within range,are you willing to track it in the dark till you find it,or chance losing it,or coyotes getting it before you find it the next morning
This is where ethics come in to play as well as your comfort range.
I know I like to stay in my stand till dark and have deer under me right at dusk and even though it would be a 5 or 10 yard shot I will just sit and watch them instead of risking a bad shot.(My 2 cents) :D
Thank God for the woods and the critters that inhabit them

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Even with one of the fastest bows on the planet in my hands (BowTech Admiral) I still have a limit at 35 to 40 yards. Like whats been said, deer are some jumpy critters and known to move a lil bit quick! As far as ability, I consistantly practise at 60 yards so 40 yards feels like a chip shot. If you practise well beyond your personal limit you will find you feel like that as well. There are many factors to determining your range limits such as, Bow Speed, Pull weight (factors into stored energy for penetration), personal ability, weather, full draw hold time, angle of the deer, time of day (wether or not you track well at night), is the deer spooky or not, how many deer are around (how many eyes pointing your direction!) sheesh I fergot how much goes through ya brain in those few seconds!! And for those that are increasing the range for Elk, you may want to rethink that. Elk move just as damn quick as deer do when spooked. Its just the size creating a optical illusion in your mind thinking they dont!! Granted they have a larger kill zone than deer. But they are also a hell of a lot tougher to get an arrow through, so, does increasing your limit sound smart now? Not trying to be a smartbutt there, just making a point. Elk are about 3 times more dense than whitetail in hide and bone, yet people say they will shoot at a further distance simply because they have a larger kill zone. Just doesnt make a hell of a lot of sense to me is all. 
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
This may sound stupid but maybe not. The shot you take is the 1 that you absolutely, positively know will hit exactly where you want it to. Lost count of the deer I have let walk at full draw because there was a shadow of a doubt. Probably why I dont kill a lot of deer with my recurve.

This is the essence of hunting.  That's why it's called hunting and not killing!
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I have shot deer at 50 yards. BUT, there are times when the wind is blowing so hard that 20 yards is too far.

Offline Yankee1

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »
HI
 I used to shoot 4 or 5 hundred arrows a week in practice for competition.
I shot a Jennings Arrow Star set at 62 pounds. It was most accurate at that weight. I used xx75 aluminum arrows.  With regard to your question it would depend on the wind conditions for me to answer that.
My bow was point on at 80 yards and could keep in the gold at that distance.
But with moderate wind the point of impact could change by 2 feet.
So my answer is the conditions and your ability will determine the distance that you should shoot.  It may be different for different people.
                                          Yankee1

Offline addicted

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »
For ethical shots with a bow it is determined by the bowhunter him or herself.  Everyone's limitations are different; that being said with perfect wind conditions and a lot of practice I can and have shot deer at 50 yards.  I never wanted to, but when the same deer goes by 3 different times in a 2 hour period... it was asking for it.

3D archery is another beast in itself... most 3D shooters like me can hit targets out to 90 yards, but all of them that I know stick to a distance that can cleanly harvest an animal.  I have heard of some 3D guys shooting deer at 90 yards, but it was word of mouth.

On the outdoor channel I saw the most disturbing thing on a PSE "hunting" show.  A "bowhunter" shot a moose at 45 yards... then shot it AGAIN at 80 yards.  I told my wife "great... now every new or inexperienced bowhunter is going to take shots like that".  Take that for what it's worth.

My personal limit is 50 (compound bow), 20 (recurve bow) and 300 (rifle), but I can shoot plenty farther than that.

To each his own as everyone has their own limits.

Happy Hunting!
Eat, drink and be merry for soldiers die daily for your freedoms.
Semper Fidelis!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
Since i started this thread i have been doing lots of shooting 3-4 days a week 20-30-40-50 yards i have no problems out to 30 yards and most days
40 seems good, 50 is very iffy wind has to be nonexsistant. I think right now i could be comfortable at 40 if conditions are favorable.
Elk season opens sept 16 i will shooting as much as possible untill then. ;D
The more i shoot the luckyer i get.
Rex

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
Just remember that elk ,in the thick forest scenario, distance can be deceiving!! :o
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:36 AM »
Just remember that elk ,in the thick forest scenario, distance can be deceiving!! :o

that is exactly why i have a range finder, i play games with it guessing distance
the ranging even when not shooting. trying not to rely on a guess. ;D
Most of my hunting will be in low brush, some tall timber but not very thick.
Rex

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »
In response to Yankee 1. If that moose had already been hit by one arrow then I would have no trouble supporting the hunter trying to put another one in there. There is but $15 worth of arrow ventured on this with a quicker kill to gain. How many folks would put a second bullet in that same moose? If however the first were a clean miss then you sir, are absolutely correct.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »

that is exactly why i have a range finder, i play games with it guessing distance
That`s great if you have the time to range your shot! But sometimes the opportunity is there for a shot and that is it. Also remember an elk that is alert can duck an arrow at very short distances!

I shoot long bows and recurves and some of my bows are pretty fast, but I have seen elk duck an arrow from a compound at less than 25 yards.

n 25 yards!

NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Yankee1

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
Hello Empty Quiver
    I believe you mi staked my reply with someone Else's. I made no comment about the shots taken on the elk.
                                     Regards
                                  Yankee1

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
Sorry, off by one post.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »

That`s great if you have the time to range your shot! But sometimes the opportunity is there for a shot and that is it. Also remember an elk that is alert can duck an arrow at very short distances!

I shoot long bows and recurves and some of my bows are pretty fast, but I have seen elk duck an arrow from a compound at less than 25 yards.

n 25 yards!

I understand what you are saying, but can only do what i can, try to cover
all the bases i can.
Rex

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
On my 2007 Elk hunt I was prepared to shoot out to 50 at elk and 60 for deer when hunting on my own. I practiced like a madman that summer to the point that I was at the range 4-5x a week on my lunch hour.  In the end I only needed 16 yards to dump my bull.  This year I dunno.   With fewer dollars coming in and impending layoffs for myself I didn't renew my box club membership.  I'll still practice in my backyard and at my in-laws place in the mountains but it won't be the same. I'm thinking 40 tops this year.