Author Topic: How long of a shot would you take  (Read 4736 times)

Offline deerhuntertyler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How long of a shot would you take
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
squril-20 yds
rabbit-25mabe 30yds
deer-40 yds
black bear-35yds
If its worth doing, Its worth doing right!

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
I bow hunt the "Eastern slope" of the Sierra Navada Mts. Been bow hunting there since 1990.  The 1st buck I took with a bow was @ 17 yds. The closest 12.  I practice @ 40 plus regularly.  Most of the deer I've taken have been in the 40-50 yd range.  From the ground in sage thats about the average. 8 years ago I took a buck right at 60. Only because I ran out of cover and had confidence in my shooting. That was also the 1st year I began shooting out to 100yds at the range, only to do it.  I had seen a guy shooting that far so tried it just to be able to do it. No intention at all to hunt that far.

Spring ahead to this year. My last week of practice before the opener I shot from 50 back.  Never any closer.  The last 3 days I practiced @ 70, 80, 90, & 100.  I can hit a block consistantly @ 90 & 100.  Only missed 2 arrows @ 100 on 1 day. Never missed the first arrows.

On Sunday morning Aug 16th, the 2d day of the bow season here, I took out both lungs of a nice buck @ 95yds! He went about 40 yds before piling up and crashing down the hillside into a creekbed. 2 of my friends witnessed it.

Now, I'm not saying its OK.  I doubt I will ever do it again. But at that time EVERYTHING was perfect. Wind, light, breathing, trigger squeeze, bucks stance. Everything.

I have a cousin that has a kill @ 77. Its all in practice and most importantly well tuned bow with consistantly hitting arrows.  You have to eliminate any arrows that dont fly true.  The arrow I used was one I always hit the bull with. My "#6". Broke in 3 pieces! So you can see why I wont do it again. LOL

Some of you are going OMG OMG NO NO NO CANT DO THAT ITS NOT RIGHT. Kinda irrelavent now. Deed is done and the steaks are good! To each his own.  YOU do what YOU feel YOU can or cannot do. Its not for me to establish ANYBODYS range capability, or anyones "ethics". I knew I could make that shot.  I have passed on a lot of shots cause I didnt think I could make it. Its not for me to say how far is right or wrong for anybody else.

Btw, 100g Muzzy 3 blade, Beeman ICS 400 Hunter, Jennings Speed Master solo cam @ 67#. Appx 280 actual fps.  Arrow thru lungs to stick in off side scapula. OORAH

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
My personal limit is 40 yards. At that distance I can put three arrow in a 6" circle with my muzzie fixed blades. That will easily keep me in the vitals of a whitetail. Other factors come into play such as wind, rain or shooting light that can cause me to pass up a shot or shorten my max range for the moment.

It has been my observation that a lot of poor shots on game are caused by an error in range estimation. I spend quite of bit of time in my stand checking distances with my rangefinder. Checking the range to assorted trees, rocks, stumps or anything handy because a mistake in range estimation by 5yards can be the difference between a dead deer and a lost wounded one. 

Just my thoughts.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
Absolutely depends on the shooter and the environment of the moment.  For me it depends on how much I've been shooting over the summer and fall.  This year I am very confident at 60yds although I do have a 70yd pin. Last year it was about 40.  I actually practice the long shots more than the close ones.  I actually have a 100yd target that I always finish the night with.  It makes the 40yd shots much quicker and easier to pick a spot.  As far as jumping the string, I have never seen that. IMO the only way that is going to happen is if the deer is spooked to begin with and on the edge of bolting anyway.  You have to realize that the further away you are from the animal the quieter the noise is from the shot.  Deer just jump wildly at every little noise they hear in the woods.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
Buckskin, last year I stalked on 2 bucks together feeding  They were at 40 & 50+ yards. The biggest one, also the farthest one, was very nervous and looking around a lot while the closer smaller one just continued to feed.  At that time I wasnt sure of the longer range shot so took the one I knew I could make on the smaller buck.  The larger farther one jumped the string big time! Had I shot at him I would have gut shot him.  He was sensing something so was skittish and jumped.

Offline efremtags

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
Distance has some to do with the shooters ability, but a lot more is dependent on the conditions. My cousin is a decent shot, he can keep them grouped all day @ 30 yards. Get him in front of a deer, add cold and a little boredom and he routinely misses @ 15-20.

I have made 1 shot kills out to 43 yards, and would not hesitate to take a 50 yard shot if conditions were right. However the vast majority of my shots are inside 20.

A nervous animal, wind or thick woods makes shooting past 15 - 20 difficult. Add all three and it's near impossible. You have to be more of a judge of situational awareness then a good shot to be a good field shot

From a practice standpoint, I never shoot more that 15 - 20 shots and pay the most attention to my first shot as that is the most apt to be similar to my field condition shot. To be go in the field, muscle memory is key. If you can shoot perfect at 20 yards on target, than you are apt ot be only ok in field conditions when all factors come into play. I routinely practice from 10 - 50 yards, but concentrate the most on 20 - 30 as that is what I want to be able to do with my eyes closed without thought.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Buckskin, last year I stalked on 2 bucks together feeding  They were at 40 & 50+ yards. The biggest one, also the farthest one, was very nervous and looking around a lot while the closer smaller one just continued to feed.  At that time I wasnt sure of the longer range shot so took the one I knew I could make on the smaller buck.  The larger farther one jumped the string big time! Had I shot at him I would have gut shot him.  He was sensing something so was skittish and jumped.

I'm curious how you could have been paying so much attention on the buck that you weren't shooting at to notice that it would have been able to jump the string enough to be gut shot.   It would be hard enough to tell that with video much less naked eye while shooting at another animal.... That said, it was a good choice to shoot the deer that wasn't spooked.  No brainer that it was the right choice.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 04:35:35 AM »
They were "lined up". Both clear in my field of view.The bigger farther ones head and neck was at or over the rump of the closer one. He ran @ the sound, the other @ the arrow impact. In my minds eye, I think his lurch forward to run would cause the arrow to hit behind the ribcage in the stomach area.  When I'm like that everything goes slo-mo. Seconds seem like minutes, everything is clear. Afterwards though it all catches up to me!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »
Hmmmm.
Buckskin

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »
I no longer use a bow cuz my shoulders are shot and I can no longer pull back my bow. I might could get one with lighter draw weight and use it but instead just gave up using a bow instead.

Now back when I did use a bow my longest ever shot on a deer was around 30 yards but most were much less with darn few going over 22 yards or so. In fact I think the one at around 30 was the only one I ever fired successfully over 25 yards.

In my back yard I practiced to around 40 yards and did fairly well on practice targets to that range. On an elk with the larger size kill zone I might would be tempted to have tried a shot to 40 yards if all were perfect, calm no breeze, nothing but air between me and the animal and it calm and unaware of me. Still I looked at bow hunting as a short range affair and preferred shots under 25 yards where I could be pretty much 100% and even on a critter as large as an elk I'd have hated to extent that range much. Shooting a live animal just ain't the same thing as shooting a target in practice.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
Great points, Graybeard. My practical max is right around 30 yards, and I am dead solid at 25. This is mostly due to two things for me. I can estimate distance in 100 yard increments, no problem. From 25 to 35 yards I am wrong half of the time. The other is that I shoot a single pin. Just a quirk with me and I likely won't change.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 04:26:30 AM »
Popsted to this thread earlier, but now that I have the first one for the year in the freezer, I thought I would post again.

Practiced out to 30 yards for this fall.  60# CariBow t/d recurve; 125 Grain stainless steel 3-blade fixed Snuffer broadheads; 30" corbon arrows with 5 " shield cut feathers, and 100 grain inserts up front.  Results were very tight grouips.

First deer this fall: big, lone doe at a distance of 6 yards, shot through the lungs and clipped the heart.  Big blood trail for 50 yards to the dead deer. 

Lots of practice at longer distances makes you very confident for the close shots.

Still like 'em up close and personal!   :D

Arch

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 04:29:23 AM »
Hey Buck, Panivision LOL

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »
You should find a way to market that.
Buckskin

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
Ya know I read through all of this all the while thinking about my own experience two weeks ago.

I will say that I am relatively new to archery compared to a whole lot of folks. However, the concept of hitting what I am aiming at has always been something that came very naturally to me. 

I got into archery hot and heavy last year with a not so expensive set up. IT was a Bowtech Tomkat. It was good enough to get me into hunting cheap enough that if my elbows couldn't handle the strain I wouldn't loose my rear.

This year I purchased the Admiral. After setting it up the way I liked, I went on to adjust and tweak it, until I was hardly able to shoot groups under 30yds with out fearing ruined arrows. I mostly practice groups at 40yds, and even with this I cringe with every cracking noise that come back from the target. So, a couple of weekends ago, I was sitting in one of my stands, more or less just looking to see what might ba around for youth weekend when i get the grandson out. Well after seeing doe with young one, after doe with twins, after doe, I decided to pop the next one by. So along comes a doe and yearling, which is plenty big enough to make it on it's own. So I finally decided nothing else was coming by and since these were standing broadside at 25yds under a feeder oblivious to the fact I was even in the world I would go ahead and take the big one.

No pressure, no excitement other than a slightly racing heart, I drew, held the aim got very comfortable, settled the pin just as she slightly turned away giving me exactly the shot I was looking for, and I slowly tripped the trigger. The impact sounded like a brick hitting soft clay, and she hobbled around the trunk of the tree, and slowly down the hill working hard to get there. I sat motionless for almost 20 minutes before calling the wife on my cell to come pick me up. When she arrived, I eased down to the feeder and found my arrow covered in blood stuck in the ground right about where it should have been from the angle of the shot. I then eased along the trek the doe took finding 3-4" splotches of blood on both sides of the trail. At this point I headed to the truck and we went to the house and had supper, I changed, and even called and talked to a friend before heading back out. Some hour or more had passed, since I had been picked up.

When we got back it had started to drizzle rain and the bigger splotches had already started to thin out and soak into the ground. The deer had turned into some pretty thick stuff requiring me to get almost on my hands and knees to follow. The area was protected by the thick canopy, and the blood continued for close to 50 yds, growing smaller and smaller in size as I went, until it was only a drop every 5 - 10 yds. At about this point the deer came to an opening in the woods which was around 30 or so feet across and covered in about 2' tall grass, but surrounded by the same type thick stuff I just came out of. At this point I lost all blood, tracks, or anything else that would or could have been related to a deer. It was as if it was simply picked up from that spot and taken away. There was nothing, nada, zilch. I searched until 11:00 that night, returned at day break and searched until noon, when it started to pour down rain. Shoot I even brough my dog out there to hopefully try and find something I was missing. He got to the same point at the grass and lost the trail as well. Granted he isn't specifically trained to follow deer, but he has one heck of a nose on him and will follow blood of any type.

Am I confident that I hit where I aimed, yea I am, but it sure as hell don't make me feel any better about the shot or the deer. Would I take it again, yea I would in a heart beat. I shot a couple of hogs this past weekend with much more demanding circumstances and easily and cleanly took two of them out to 35yds and both were down within 30 or so yards of the shots. I am not sure just what happened with the deer. We never saw any buzzards the following week, or have found anything since the initial blood. I know for a fact that the Grizz Trick head I used can and does put a massive hole in things. Generally they do not go far at all.

I would feel completely confident shooting out to 40yds on a relaxed deer like that was, under the same conditions. However, I have hauled in my humility, and decided that for any further deer this year they will be at or under 20yds. For the hogs however, they best stay clear of me within 40yds or less.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »
That sucks to loose a deer like that.  Unfortunately if you hit where you were aiming as you said, you were aiming at the wrong spot...  Sounds like a gut shot to me the way she acted.
Buckskin

Offline fr3db3ar

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »
It's been stated before but worth repeating that this magical distance is different for everybody.

I will take it one step further from my exp.  This year i've had no time to practice with my recurve or longbow....so I would limit my shots to 20 or under...though I'm not taking it out.  I have a shoulder problem that won't let me hold my compound this year.

At one time I practiced every single day.  1 shot in the morning before going to work, 1 shot as soon as I got home.  Various practice inbetween.  I shot the target regularly @ 80 for practice.  This allowed me to group 10 arrows in the size of your fist @ 50.  i was confortable with that distance at that time.

So you see, even for an individual the magical distance has surrounding factors that influence it.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline BUCKDUSTER

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
my limit is 40 yards.  i range every deer i shoot at and practice frequently.  i dont shoot alarmed deer and know i can make every shot i take. its so much more fun to be confident and decide that when you shoot, its a done deal. unfortunatly, stuff still happensfrom time to time

Offline CharlieT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:42 AM »
67 steps never again!!!!!!!!!! I used to practice out to 80 yds every day so I knew I could do it. But never again way to much hang time.
1 Kings 20:11 .The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' "

Offline gube

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »
I routinely practise out to 100 yds. I have shot elk and moose at 70 yds. Most shots are under 40 yds and have been as close as 4 feet. Any thing past 40 yds, I use a range finder. Estimating range is the biggest factor in knowing where your arrow ends up at. If you misjudge by 5 yds, chances are it will be a miss or worse yet, a wounded animal. I hunt during the rut, so before our calling sequences, I range trees and other objects so that I don't have to fumble with the range finder when the animal comes in. 3-D shoots can really hone a guys range estimating and shooting skills and have seen many newer hunters realize their ethical range  becomes drastically shortened after doing a 3-D shoot with set ups in real hunting situations (shooting between / over trees etc).
Here's some pics from our latest excursions with stick n string.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=44760
aim small miss small
Savage Vaporizer

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:37 AM »
Well the buck that I took last Sunday, I'm not sure which side of the fence it would fall on in this discussion. Got out to the stand about 4 o'clock.  About 4:45 I was sitting in the stand wishing that I had brought my harness so I could breath without fearing a paralyzing fall, I looked to my right and this guy was in the soybeans at 40 yds walking straight to me.  I reached for my bow hanging to my right, and on cue he turned broadside at 30 or so yards and stopped.  I drew, finished caping, wrapping him for the freezer and deciding where to put him in my basement and fired.  Clean miss... what in the world.  He trotted about 5 steps and started walking away, I reached for another arrow and bleated at him he stopped and looked directly at me as I was knocking another dart.  Started walking away again, I drew bleated again and he turned quartering away (it was 3/4 not 1/4) from me and I let it fly.  I ranged the spot the next day at 52 yds.  I knew I hit him and he ran off as though I snuck up behind him and kicked him in the ass.  About 10 yards from hitting the corn he started getting wobbly and I watched him fall after running about 70 yds.  Hit him behind the last rib about an inch below the loin, blew through a lung and lodged the broadhead in his left shoulder.  Nearly every drop of his blood was in his cavity, and I don't think one drop hit the ground.  11 points, twin split g2's and 16 ½” spread.   
Buckskin

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 09:47:14 AM »
Buck,niiiice! Any of that Panavision?

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 03:43:28 AM »
I wish! I would love to be able to watch that arrow in flight.  Thank God for the rut, he was so cross-eyed in lust that he didn't know which way was up.  Fell in love with my panicked voice bleat!
Buckskin

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
It's all about comfort level, and the amount of practice one puts in. If you just know in your heart and gut the shot is ethical and a clean kill take it.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
I like to shoot one arrow groups.  In other words put on your hunting top as if you were in a stand and fling one arrow and see where you hit.  Do a few chores and repeat the process.  In a T-shirt and sneakers after flinging three dozen arrows we all get something we like to see but that is now the way it is in the woods.   After sitting on a cold morning for several hours and shooting from a sitting position and at a 45 degree angle downward at 30yds things change drastically.  Your gut will usually tell you how far to shoot under varying conditions.
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline tracker370

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
I would take a shot out to 60 yards if I was confident there was a clean lane. With that said, the longest shot I've ever put on an animal is 35 yards. It's just worked out that way for whatever reason.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man. And those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never cared for anything else thereafter."

E. Hemingway

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
I practice out to 40 yards with my Mathews, I use 3 pins, 20,30 and 40 yards. My 20 yard pin is anything from point blank to 20 yards, not off by much from 10 to 20 yards, maybe an inch. I feel comfortable to 40 yards on deer and up size game. I prefer 30 yards and under, because I know I am dead nuts on every release of the arrow.

Now my Recurve is a different animal, 25 is my absolute longest shot I will take, I shoot well out to 25 yards with my set up. But I would rather have a 20 and closer shot if possible, plus the rush of being so close...

My crossbow I stick to 40 yards, I just don't think it is wise to take a shot beyond 40 yards, but that is my self reasoning. I have a buddy that shoots well out to 60 yards with his compound bow, but to much can happen in that distance, jumping of the string, wind even a twig will set the arrow off path.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA