Author Topic: I know thery are a "proprietary" brand...  (Read 873 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
I know thery are a "proprietary" brand...
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:59 AM »
...sO, who makes the Center Point scopes for Walmart ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: I kowi thery are a "proprietary" brand...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:03 AM »
Ironglow,
I googled them, they are made by crosman.

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
The one on the Crossman pellet gun I bought was pure junk.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
 That doesn't say a great deal for them. I read on the container this morning, their claim that their scopes are tested good for a .416 Rigby....a rather rare caliber to test with...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »
There are a lot of calibers that are harder on scopes than a 416 rigby. The worst scope killers are actually air rifles because they actually recoil forward then back.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Re: I know thery are a "proprietary" brand...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »
 Right Mirage, the two-way on the "springer" air guns is rough on scopes. Bracing for such could be a plus if an air gun company (such as crosman) gets all the other things right...

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Personally I've always been partial to nikons, my great-uncle told me (back when I was young and impressionable) about the 1/3 rule for scopes. " buy the best scope you can find for one third the cost of the rifle". Makes sense when you think about it, doesn't it?

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 01:50:23 AM »
I've never heard of the 1/3 rule, but if you can get it to work for you, that is great. 

After breaking Bushnell, Simmons, BSA (2x), scopes I am now a member of the "buy once, cry once" theory.  I'm also harder on scopes because I like to dial in elevation, and shoot at different ranges quite often.  So basically I spend a lot of time cranking on the elevation knobs.

The only cheaper scopes I'd trust for any length of time for my uses are the Bushnell 3200 10x, SS 10 or 16x, or Falcon Menace line from what I've heard (never personally tried one).  They will run you from just under $200 to about $400 depending on model.

I know a lot of people would rather save the money than shell out for an expensive optic, and I don't blame them.  I'd much rather be shooting than eating Ramen noodles so I could save up for a scope.  If I could find a cheap scope that actually could withstand the rigors of use that I'd put on it I'd e happy to snag it up.

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:26:50 AM »
Usually, I spend more on scopes than I do on the rifles I put them on, or at least as much as the rifle cost.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »
I've had great luck with the Sightron SI, Burris FFII, Bushnell 3200, but the cheapest scope I've taken a liking to lately has been a 3-9 Bushnell Banner with 5-6" eye relief I put on a 6.5x55 swede Win 70 for my daughter to use. It's been a very good scope so far.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
were are the Sightron SI scope made?

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
What part of the 1/3 rule makes sense to you?  I've never enjoyed using a poor quality scope or rifle.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Personally I've always been partial to nikons, my great-uncle told me (back when I was young and impressionable) about the 1/3 rule for scopes. " buy the best scope you can find for one third the cost of the rifle". Makes sense when you think about it, doesn't it?

Charles-

It actually makes sense to not have to spend more then needed.  If a decent new riflle is say $600.00, then that leaves you about $200.00 for a scope.  There are a lot of good, reliable scopes in this price range.  The Bushnell 3200, Burris Fullfield ll series, Leopold VX-1 come to mind.
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....