Author Topic: Annealing some 45acp Brass?  (Read 683 times)

Offline tarheel

• Trade Count: (6)
Annealing some 45acp Brass?
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »
Where could I post to get some help on this,I dont have a Machine,very slow process doing one at a time!As I have about 600 pcs.
Can some one help,Please!
Tarheel

PS: I would expect this to be moved,but I dont know where?

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Annealing some 45acp Brass?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:57:05 AM »
Yep, your in the wrong place but the question is, why would you want to do such a thing?
If you plan to reload it and shoot it, there is no reason to do that.  It would be a huge waste of time and possibly dangerous if you soften the case head.
H08

Offline tarheel

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:41:36 AM »
Yep, your in the wrong place but the question is, why would you want to do such a thing?
If you plan to reload it and shoot it, there is no reason to do that.  It would be a huge waste of time and possibly dangerous if you soften the case head.
H08
I have that backwards,sorry,I need to harden it,it has no spring back!
Well I will try to find the righr place to post this!
Thanks to all I might have bothered!
Tarheel

Offline Hank08

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:41 AM »
Tarheel, I'm still at a loss to know what your brass is doing that makes you feel that you need to do this.  I've loaded and shot over a million .45acps and I've never encountered any brass
with that problem.  More likely your die or expander are too large or your bullets are too small.  Often, I've found .451 jacketed bullets too small for some expanders.  In that case polish the expander down a 1/1000 or 2 then everything works.
H08

Offline tarheel

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:34 AM »
When I started loading the 45 acp several days back,I had some other brass,not WCC,it worked just like its supposed to,and I'm trying to use the same Bullets in the WCC cases and the case will not grip the Bullet,I've tried many different cases and none will work!
Thanks for trying to help!

Tarheel

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »
"Can some one help,Please!"

Yeah.  Sorta.  Forget it. 

Annealing isn't practical for pistol cases and it doesn't make necks harder anyway, it makes them softer.  Brass ain't steel, it can't be heat tempered at all.  Winchester cases tend to be a bit harder and thinner than others. 

Sounds to me like you aren't fully running your cases into the sizer and the mouths are being left too large.  Adding more spring-back would only make it worse.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:01:01 AM »
 I've re reloaded many .45acp cases some as many as ten times. The only reason I toss them is when the mouth splits or cracks. MY loads are NOT max by any means. I settle for 2" at 25 yards for MY shooting. It does sound like you are not sizing the brass before belling it. If that's not right ,then you have some REALLY old brass. Measure the bullets that aren't working and measure the mouth of a case or 2 before AND after sizing. The bullet should be a thou. or so LARGER.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »
When I started loading the 45 acp several days back,I had some other brass,not WCC,it worked just like its supposed to,and I'm trying to use the same Bullets in the WCC cases and the case will not grip the Bullet,I've tried many different cases and none will work!
Thanks for trying to help!

Tarheel

Just to clarify, when you go to seat the bullet, is it just dropping down into the case?  Or is the taper crimp not keeping it in place once it is seated?  I have many many many die sets that I have had to take .001" or .002" off the expander ball by polishing.  This makes for easier sizing and gives just a little more tension when seating the bullet.  What a lot of people don't realize is that the expander ball is used to open up the case mouth.  How many fired rounds need to have the case mouth opened?  I have had to open up case mouths for wildcat rounds that are a caliber or two larger, or for new brass that is dented from shipping.  Most brass is already opened up and needs to be sized down to reload.  Sometimes even semi-auto firearms will dent the casemouth during ejection.  If you have a universal decapping die (about $10), try decapping your brass in the universal die and sizing it in the size die without the decapping pin in place.  If you have already sized your brass, take out the decapping pin and run the brass thru the sizing die again and see if the problem resolves.  If it does, your expander ball is too large for your brass.  Polish it by placing it in a drill and running with a piece of wet 360 or 600 grit emery cloth to polish.

I have a couple of wildcat rounds 30-20 and 32H&R mag made on .308 bores.  If I don't use a .308 expander ball the .312 or .314 expander ball opens them up too much.  For these I have to either have powder depth regulated to keep the bullet in proper position for crimp, or I have to resize without decapping stem.

Good luck,  I hope some of this helps.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
Some other ideas:  How much bell are you putting on the case before seating the bullet?  Could  you be overdoing the bell? 

Or I once had a problem taper crimping some 9mm ammo where I was loading lead bullets.  It turned out I was trying to put too much crimp with the taper crimp die and for some reason the bullets ended up loose in the case. The bullet wouldn't come out but I could spin the bullet in the case. If I recall, I lightened up on the crimp and the bullets were tighter.  I think I was squeezing (swaging) down the bullet with the TC die. Something like that.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
id have to agree. Something else is wrong. there should be no need to aneal 45acp brass. My guess is its a die problem
blue lives matter

Offline tarheel

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:39:33 AM »
Thanks to all who posted a reply!!
I found in a Box of Speer Match 45 Bullets,some measured as little as 443.5!
I measured all of them,and after removing the Culls,I now have the problem solved,the ones that measure 451 load like they are supposed to!

Many many thanks to all!

Tarheel

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:08 AM »
FYI .0075" error is huge in handloading components.  I would most certainly contact Speer and get a replacement box.

I would be glad they weren't .0075" too big.