Author Topic: Plesant surprise from Remington  (Read 2157 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Plesant surprise from Remington
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »
 I was having trouble with my 30 06. Wouldn eject. would not stay locked after shooting. Sticking cases. Lousy trigger. Tried everything from the FAQ, but just could not cure this problem. Boxed it up and sent it to rem. Less than two week I had a new barrel [extractor type] and a great trigger job. Seems Rem is trying to get it right. They also replaced the bbl.catch. :) :) :) I will definitely send a note to Remington cs for this "job well done". Actually 13 day turnaround. It kinda removes the bad taste from my mouth from the last bbl replacement I went through. Happy with this one. :) :)

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: Plesant surprise from Remington
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
Glad it worked out for you as some guys would be mad at loosing the ejector bbl. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »
 ::) Kirk   I goofed. They replaced it with the extractor barrel. I m still happy about it.  Jim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
Hope I never have trouble with my two 30-06s with ejectors.  If I do they will not go in for repair by Remington.  If they can't be fixed, I'll get rid of them before I let Remington put extractors on them.  I do not and will not own one of these wonderful little guns without ejectors.  So far I guess I have been lucky, all seven of my Handi's work well, and eject the empties fast and far.

Now that said, glad you are happy with your experience.  I know they are trying to please, and wish them well in their endeavor.  Would just like to see the Ejectors come back. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:21:42 AM »
I am with Sourdough on this. I would have been very upset if they replaced my ejector barrel with an extractor barrel. You can get a cheap ejector barrel anywhere. An ejector barrel ius worth fixing. I would have preferred they send me back my barrel and I would have worked on it myself. I guess an extractor barrel is perhaps better than nothing but I much prefer an ejector. I think if they hade always been extractor barrels I may have not become involved with them to the extent I am. Perhaps as a cheap range or bench  gun but certainly not for hunting....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:23:51 AM »
That's kind of where I'm at Andy as I've mostly been with the extractors and the few ejectors I have give me fit's the first 2 or three shots from the bench then I smooth it out. :)Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »
I still and will prefer extractors.  By the time I get my hand over the breech and catch the shell, I can pick it out and replace it....without digging in the snow or weeds looking for it.....all with no sticking problems.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
My old 12 ga. pardner is an ejector and on my last Dove hunt in Kansas, i had problems w/ mechanism getting dirt/dusty and the shells started sticking.  I really wouldn't have minded having the extractor on it.  Also would have saved me the trouble of bending over and picking up hundreds of spent shells  ;)

In the end it wasn't much trouble to fix when I got home and it didn't happen until the last day of the hunt so not a big deal, just annoying.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:28 AM »
 :( The pleasant surprise turned out not too pleasant. After Remington replaced the 06 bbl and barrel latch, the original 444 barrel will not fit . She won t lock up. I could possibly hone it, but I think I will call cs tomorrow and ask them to send me a shipping label and let them worry about it.   :( :(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jim, I was wondering about that, changing the latch usually means any other barrels that have been fitted previously need to be refitted to it, or at least checked for fit.  It's a good thing they were quick on the turn around, hopefully they'll be quick on the second try. That's another thing they could improve on, making sure that all latches are machined the same instead of just installed as cast.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »
THANKS   TIM    I HOPE TO GET A GOOD ANSWER FROM CS TOMORROW. THEY MIGHT KNOW MY NAME THERE. i HAD A BAD BARREL FIT ON A 243 AND A 308. THE 308 IS GREAT. THE 243 RATTLED WHILE IN THE FRAME.[NEW BARREL]. I SPOKE WITH THEM NUMEROUS TIMES  AND GAVE MY COMMENTS ABOUT THE POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP TAKING PLACE. THIS WAS NOT AT THE REMINGTON SITE. THEY [REM] MADE IT RIGHT. THE 243 AND THE 308 ARE GREAT SHOOTERS. I GUESS ITS TIME FOR ANOTHER HANDI HOLIC TREATMENT. YOU KNOW."ANOTHER BARREL OR NEW SCOPE OR TRIGGER JOB OR NEW WOOD, MAYBE ANOTHER FRAME. ANYTHING TO HELP SETTLE THE SYMPTOMS. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 11:11:03 AM »
Yup, you're due for another Handi "Fix"!!  ;D Have them fit one of the new 35 Whelen barrels for your trouble (which hopefully will be getting the thumbs up for production in the next two weeks) to it while it's there!!

Tim

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
Yup, you're due for another Handi "Fix"!!  ;D Have them fit one of the new 35 Whelen barrels for your trouble (which hopefully will be getting the thumbs up for production in the next two weeks) to it while it's there!!

Tim

Well, I guess you did it again.  I suppose all a guy can do is hoard up his quarters.  I'm just beginning .357maxiholicism and you're starting up .35Whelenholicism.  Geeeeze, how do I explain it to the wife???? :-[

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »
Good to hear about the Whelen barrels.  My Dad commendeered my Handi .35 Whelen, the wife commendeered my Mauser .35 Whelen.  I need one for me.  Since Dad only uses it to shoot Moose, and never goes out alone, I'll switch with him to get the ejector back for me.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »
Called CS this am. They were really nice, especially for a Monday am. Told them my problem. They appologized for the inconvenience, said they would take care of it, and will be sending me a return package label. It makes one happy to see this kind of CS. Looks like Remington is trying to get it together with the Handi. I needed another Handi "fix". ::) ::)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
Sorry for a dumb question but I know squat about handis.

Am I right in thinking an extractor only starts the shell out and you have to manually remove the case?

Whereas the ejector actually completely ejects the case?

Sorry but I like to ask questions.
Jim
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »
That's what we like to hear jim36, it's nice to see them carrying on the tradition of the exemplary H&R customer service that the Gardner staff was always known for!!  ;D

That would be correct GRIMJIM, although ejectors can leave the spent case stuck in the chamber on occasion which has been their biggest complaint, it's just not as positive as an extractor. There are fans of both that are adamant that their choice is the best, kinda like Ford vs Chevy, they both have their good and bad attributes. I have lots both, I've converted ejectors to extractors and extractors to ejectors, I've also made extracting ejectors which is the best of both worlds.  ;)

Tim

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Grimjim:  When i am at the range and after I fire one of my handis, I place my left hand under the scope, and when I push the button the barrel falls and the empty hits my hand so I can catch it and place it in the box.

When I am hunting, and I shoot, the first thing I do with my left hand is grab a new cartridge.  While I am doing that with the left hand the right thumb pushes the button and the barrel falls.  The empty is propelled over my right shoulder and gone.  That way all I have to do is drop in a new round and close the action, and at this point determine if a second shot is needed.  If so pull the hammer, and fire.  I don't want to be fumbling around trying to pull an empty out of the action with cold fingers.  I want that empty gone, without having to touch it.  Have never had an ejector fail in the field. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 02:29:38 AM »

Tim

Well, I guess you did it again.  I suppose all a guy can do is hoard up his quarters.  I'm just beginning .357maxiholicism and you're starting up .35Whelenholicism.  Geeeeze, how do I explain it to the wife???? :-[

Pete

EEEERRRrrrrr Pete , What she dont know WON'T kill you ;)

And Guys we must remember where Sour lives ... Sometimes you arent given a situation that is extractor friendly in old alaska's bear country , just a thought...

As for the new barrel Jim .. Glad they took care of ya bud , Glad to hear that Remmy is stepping up to the plate for Handi shooters..

And I to would love to see the ejectors return ... Even if it was only for the straight wall calibers i.e pistol ,444 and 45-70 .. I really do miss my 357 mag handi and of course it was an ejector model no less ...
 What i wouldnt give to have that same convinence in my new model 44

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »
My old 30-30 topper is an ejector.  The Topper goes hunting regularly so that is appropriate.  My 45-70 was an ejector, now converted to an extractor when I got tired of chasing and losing brass when shooting at the bench!  Don't figger the delay in putting another in will hurt me much if I have done my job properly with the first shot.  With this 45-70, I really shouldn't need another shot.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!