Author Topic: Taurus or SP 101 ?  (Read 639 times)

Offline rocco

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus or SP 101 ?
« on: September 14, 2003, 03:30:52 AM »
I am thinking about getting a light concealed handgun in 357  . I was thinking of the Ruger or Taurus .I have a GP 100 4 inch and like it . To heavy to carry around all day . Thinking of the SP 101 or a Taurus . I am  familiar with Rugers. I have owned over 30 of them . Not familiar  with Taurus . Never owned or shot one .Had a small Rossi 357 liked it .
What Taurus  model would be comparable to the little Ruger in size, caliber and  quality  . I want a 2 " barrel . Thanks !
Pat,

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Taurus or SP 101 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 05:25:03 AM »
There are no light Rugers. They are all heavy as a boat anchor. Matt has an SP101 with 3" barrel that is well over double the weight of my Taurus Tracker Ti 627 with 4" barrel. Mine holds 7 and his only five. His Taurus Ti five shot revolver with 2" barrel might weight less than 1/3 what his Ruger does. If you want light you don't want Ruger.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline broken arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus or SP 101 ?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 05:32:49 PM »
I owned a Ruger spurless Sp101 and now I own a Taurus CH85Ultra. The SP101 is a great gun, but soooo heavy. Fine for concealed on your hip. Taurus is far better for ankle carry, Small of the back I.w.b. etc.. I think the Ruger is the better of the two as far as durability goes.
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I have the 2.25 SP101
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 04:43:42 PM »
About 10 years ago I bought  the 2.25 SP101 - kinda wish I'd gotten the 3 (I think I might shoot it more accurately and it isn't much bigger or heavier).  I wanted stainless steel, and durability of a Ruger since I mostly carry 357 heavy loads.  The gun isn't the lightest but with heavy 357 loads a lighter gun wouldn't be much fun.  If all I planned to shoot were 38's then a lighter gun might be fine. The 101 seem pretty light compared to my SW 57, Ruger Bisley, Ruger security6 and the Redhawk.  I did take the time to soften all the edges around the trigger guard etc with fine emery cloth so it wouldn't  bite so much when shooting.  Didn't really consider the Taurus but their recent guns sure are interesting.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Taurus or SP 101 ?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 06:10:26 PM »
My Taurus Model 627 Ti with 4" barrel weights a bunch less than the Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel Matt has. Mine has far less recoil using same loads. As a matter of fact the ONLY .357 Mag I think I've shot with less recoil was a S&W 686 with 8-3/8" barrel with full underlug that weights three times as much.

Don't sell the Taurus guns short. They are strong and hold up well and deliver far less recoil than guns weighting twice as much. Those barrel ports really are amazing and combined with the soft rubber grips really tame recoil.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!