Author Topic: How much is too much?  (Read 582 times)

Offline AlbanyCO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
How much is too much?
« on: May 02, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
How much variation is ok between overall cartridge length and overall trimmed case length?

I have just loaded my first 10 rounds of ammunition for the .308. I used 5 new cases and 5 once fired cases. I trimmed them as close to 2.005 as I could but they vary a bit.

Same thing with overall cartridge length. Book says 2.735 I seem to be around that area give or take a little bit(2.735-2.741). Also, my primers sometimes seat all the way and sometimes not....what am I doing wrong? Sometimes the cartridge will not sit flat on the table on end....is this unsafe? I think the loadede cartridges looked pretty good, I took it slow...triple checked things. Am I ready to shoot? the load I used was

150gr sierra gameking BTSP + 43.0 grains of varget and a CCI LR primer
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
Make sure that your primer pockets are clean, and that your primers are seated all the way in. One that is wobbly will at best give you fits.
Minor variations in your case length won't be a problem, as long as you do not exceed the maximum case length.

Your COL can vary a bit, depending on your rifle's magazine,or in the case of a lot of single shot rifles, what fits well in your chamber. I like to load my bullets "long", as I seem to get better accuracy like that.

Others will chime in and expound on what I've said.....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:10:50 AM »
Of the rounds in which the primer is not fully seated, are these in the once fired brass or new brass?  Were the primer pockets on the once fired brass cleaned?  Is the brass commercial or military?  There could be some correlation here between one and the other.

I would try to seat the primer at least flush with the cartridge head.  Now would I do that with a loaded round, I think not for safety sake.

Your well within specs on the trim length and COL and with the bullet you're using you're gonna get some deformation on the bullet tip which probably accounts for the variation in COL.  Other than the primer 'issue', I'd say you're good to go.
http://www.handloads.org/articles/cartridge.htm

Brian, in Ohio
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
Some loading manuals will specify a maximum case length and a trim to length. Don't let your cases exceed maximum, but the minimum isn't very critical.

I would guess that being a new loader you just didn't use enough force to seat your primers. Horse em in there until they are at least flush, like someone said I don't think I would do it on a loaded round, but in your normal loading sequence, don't be afraid to use enough force to get them down flat. Primers aren't little grenades, I've loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds, and have only had a couple go off. No big deal as long as you keep the mouth of the case pointed in a safe direction, the same as you do the muzzle of your rifle.

Chambering a round with a high primer is dangerous however, as they could go off, and now it's not just a speck of priming compound but also powder in the round, and worse, the whole thing is contained in the guns chamber, but the breech may not be fully closed. Bad news!! It happens very very rarely, but the potential is there.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 04:01:14 AM »
Some of your "precaution" is just being tentative and new to reloading.  Over time you will probably adjust cartridge OAL for a variety of reasons (i.e. minimum bullet jump to lands, cartridge fit in box magazine, accurizing a pet load, etc.).  Variation in OAL is "not that big a deal" with the exception that accuracy and OAL can be a big deal in some rifles and is a safety concern primarily when the bullets intercepts the lands prior to the bolt locking, forcing the bullet back into the case, which can increase internal pressure in excess of industry standards.

The unseated primers are a safety concern.  Use a hand priming tool to adequately seat the primers so the rounds will stand on the table top.  If you are not confident that you can accomplish this, get a fellow reloader with greater experience to do it or an impact bullet puller to take the loaded rounds apart and start over after the primers "bottom out" and prior to powder and bullet insertion.

Offline AlbanyCO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
Of the rounds in which the primer is not fully seated, are these in the once fired brass or new brass?  Were the primer pockets on the once fired brass cleaned?  Is the brass commercial or military?  There could be some correlation here between one and the other.

The brass was brand new out of the package. (Winchester brass). The once fired brass I used seated the primers without issue. I have a bullet puller so I'll pull those rounds apart and try and re seat the primers. Thank you for the help guys, you're the greatest!

Offline AlbanyCO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
Just a quick update:

I went back and pulled the bullets/re-seated the primers on the rounds I was having trouble with. I was not using enough force to seat them all the way. I fired 10 rounds at the range, 5 new cases and 5 once fired. Accuracy was not as good as I was hoping for, they ran about 1 inch at 50 yards. Didn't get the chance to shoot at 100. I made up 15 more rounds with half a grain increments up to 44 grains to test. I want to thank everyone on this forum for being patient and answering my questions! Without all of your help I would not have bothered with trying to reload. I still have both eyes and both hands so I guess I managed to do something right!

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
Feels Good to shoot your own,  Don't it?  ;D 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline AlbanyCO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
Yup! Shot today and found my hunting load! Loaded up 47 shells of it. Made 3 mistakes, was going for 50  ::)

Accuracy is very good, 5 shot groups show at least 3 in the group touching and thats good enough for me! I don't have a chrono but I think I'm pushing 2,700 FPS or so. Reloading rocks!

Now if I could ever take that trip out west to hunt Elk, I could load up some accubond...... ::)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
Wait till you kill something with a bullet you made yourself.