Author Topic: Need some help with a piece of brass  (Read 636 times)

Offline LeFrog

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some help with a piece of brass
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
Hello Folks,

I am not from the States, so I will try my posting into the english language. I need some help, because since 5 years I am searching for informations about the following small piece of brass (3.jpg) and I hope this is the right topic for this.

I think, it must be a piece of a fuse from a danish naval gun with percussion lock and its dating into the middle of the 19th century . It looks a little bit like a friction primer.

My suspection is, that the percussion lock of the gun does not have a normal piston, so the piece of brass with the mounted feather keel (1.jpg) on it, sits on the position of a piston directly down to the cartridge. So the gunner had only to put a musket primer on the brass object and fire the gun with the percussion lock.

The brass object has a general hole to transfer the ignition of the primer thru the with gunpowder filled feather keel and at last into the powder cartridge of the gun. I think downside of the feather keel was open filled with a little bit wax, so the black powder could not fall out of the feather keel.

Has somebody ever seen any pictures or informations about this special feather keel with that piece of brass?

I hope you understand my question (incl. pictures)?

???

Regards,
LeFrog

Offline subdjoe

Re: Need some help with a piece of brass
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Are the threads on the item in jpg.3 cut like normal threads?  Or are the just rings to hold a tube on - like the barbs on say a vacuum line?  If they are cut like normal threads, then I suspect that it is supposed to be screwed into something.  If it were to just hold a quill (keel), then you would need a lot of them for any action, since they would be blown clear of the vent and likely be impossible to find in the field. 

Nice little collection of friction primers, by the way.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
LeFrog -

I don't have an answer for you, but, WELCOME to the board.  You should have some answers soon ....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:49 AM »
hi , welcome  ;D

sorry i havnt seen that b4
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
This looks to be a form of quill with percussion ignition
the copper tube is scored to grab the inside of the quill.
and a percussion cap is used to ignite it.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline LeFrog

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
Hello KABAR2 & Co.,

do not understand my question wrong. I already know that this primer uses a percussion ignition and for this it needs percussion cap on the top. I made the the whole "quill fuze" by my self. I am a collector for old ammunition and fuzes (before WW2). The small bronce pieces are from a wrecksite in the middle of batlic sea. After a hint of a good friend, I only had put an original percussion cap (from muskets) on it and screw the quill to the downside. That "quill fuze" on the pics is my final result. I found a source in the web about the using of a, more or less comparable, cannon primer.

http://www.infernal-machines.com/_sgg/m1m6_1.htm

I am very sure that these type of primers where used on danish warships in the middle of the 19. century. My only problem is, without a real source in the literatur or an original picture of it, I cant confirm my theory.

As I said, I am searching since 5 years for hints about that small piece of bronce!

Regards,
LeFrog

P.S.: Sorry for the bad english!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
Le Frog,

Don't apolgize for your English, it is just fine...just don't ask me to speak French back at you.  We understand what you are saying and thats all that is important.

Dan from Sweden may know about this item and he should be along here soon and tell us what he thinks

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »
Hello KABAR2 & Co.,

http://www.infernal-machines.com/_sgg/m1m6_1.htm

Regards,
LeFrog

P.S.: Sorry for the bad english!

Thanks for the interesting link.
And don't worry about your English skills - they seem better than what most Americans use.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.