Author Topic: Range Session, CVA "Colonial" pistol...  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Skillet

• Trade Count: (1)
Range Session, CVA "Colonial" pistol...
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:26:03 AM »
Some years back, my late Father brought me a kit for a CVA "Colonial" pistol.

He found it collecting dust on a shelf in a gun shop over near Killeen, and knowing that I shot .45 sidelocks, he bought it and gave it to me to assemble and shoot.

I think that he paid about $35 for it.

I had to install a higher front sight-- just a dowel-pin really, and added a steel belt-clip from DGW

I really wanted to work-up a PRB load for it and experimented with .440 and .445 RBs, along with a variety of patches/loads, but never really got decent grouping.

I did some more shooting with it recently, and found that it seems to like the TC Maxi-balls that I cast for some of my other .45s, with 15 gns of FFF Triple 7 as just about right for a load. The Maxi's fall from my mould weighing right at 242 gns.... a pretty decent sleeping-pill in a .45.

Here's what 15 gns looks like next to the Maxi. The Maxi-ball is lubed with a Crisco/Gulf-wax mixture. I love the powder-economy when shooting these pistols!

This bullet and load clocks around 750 fps, as measured 10 feet from the muzzle. This is comparable to a factory .44 special load.

And here's the exit-hole on a 2x6, shot at 15 yds. That TC Maxi is often maligned as being over penetrative on deer-sized game out of a rifle, but in a lightly-charged pistol, that penetration is a bonus!

And lastly, here's the final group of the day, five shots at 28 yds with no swabbing during the string.

All in all, satisfying performance from a pistol that is little more than a big Derringer. I'm glad I didn't give-up on it.

I'm definitely planning on carrying it as a backup for my Hawken during the fall...

HH All!
Skillet

Offline Elijah Gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Range Session, CVA "Colonial" pistol...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:56 PM »
I also have a Colonial. I always wanted to know how a maxi ball would perform in it. Thanks very much for sharing this with us!
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »
From the looks of your hits on the profile target it looks like you wouldn't have any problem using this for a defense weapon!  Very impressive!  The phots are great - thanks for sharing them with us along with your experiences with the pistol - it looks like it would be a lot of fun to shoot and experiment with - but hey, it uses black powder so why wouldn't it be fun!  Thanks for the great post!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Skillet

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:14:14 AM »
I also have a Colonial. I always wanted to know how a maxi ball would perform in it. Thanks very much for sharing this with us!

I've had good luck with the Maxi's in most of my pistols, generally better accuracy than with PRB loads and they make the .45s pretty respectable, in terms of knockdown.

The only real problem with the "Colonial" is that I find the factory front sight to be way too low. Since those pics were taken, I've gotten rid of that makeshift dowel-pin front sight...

I whittled down a copper penny and brazed it onto the barrel, a noticeable improvement.

Good luck with those Maxi's.

I shoot them in a couple of my rifles too. They've accounted for a few whitetail, 3 mule deer, hogs, javelina and turkeys too.

HH!
Skillet

Offline ZVP

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »
 Skillet old buddy,
 I have the colonial also the Philadelphia Deringer too.
 You didn't mention using a Patch? I bought some for mine just in case...
 15 Grains sounds cool! I'll shoot a round ball since I haven;t got any maxi's or moulds. I oughta be OK tho.
 Yep I do love B/P! nSomeday I wi'' send you a picture of my '51 Piettia Navy Brass frame. I'ts my hotrod, slightlly rounded and reshaped where needed, smoothed up whereever, The goal is to make it a good accurate shooter with the feel of an old bar of soap.
 ZVP