Author Topic: how often to clean your gun  (Read 517 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
how often to clean your gun
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »
how often  do you clean your gun? i really never used to clean my .22LR that often unless i was out in the rain or something.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: how often to clean your gun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »
When I was living on the east coast i cleaned them after each time out.  One it was very humid out and two it was far inbetween each shooting.
when I lived in southern CA in the desert I would shoot almost every weekend and a couple weeknights at the trap range.
the trap gun, a beretta 301, would get cleaned when it stopped ejecting some where south of 1,000 rounds.  Same goes for my Sig P220 Sport that would gunk up after about 600 rounds.  But target guns are finicky so I do not mind that they stop.  If my P226 ever stopped I would be very upset.
My 22 rifles would be used on a regular basis and would get cleaned when something else got cleaned.  Usually a rainy weekend would have me in the garage all day disasebleing and cleaning, oiling, waxing and putting back in the lockers.
Now that i live on the coast and I do not get out every weekend I clean them after ever trip to the range.  The get torn apart, cleaned, oiled, greased, waxed, and then put away in the lockers.
As far as hunting shotguns the water fowel gun would get cleaned and Waxed and the upland side by sides will get wiped down that night and then cleaned and waxed when I get home. Oh yea Last count was 75 guns plus or minus the air guns and black powder.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
With you being in Fla.  I would at least wipe them down every day they are out in the sticky summer humitity.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
Once a year.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »
my 1934 was clean every time it was used, the rest were when i feel like it. The 1934 was a old gun and it had mixed parts so i needed cleanning a lot more then my other guns. I kept my gun in a hard case with something to keep the humitity out.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I still remember the lessons of my youth (dad kickin my ass). If that weapon went out of the house, it was to be broken down and cleaned when it came back in!Wether it was fired or not! Still do it that way religiously. If not shot (rare) I take them out of the locker and clean them when I have an itch or bored or dont feel like talking to the wife, so they get cleaned ALOT!!  ::)
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D