Author Topic: New PF9 carry gun.  (Read 591 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
New PF9 carry gun.
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »
Ok Boy and Girls, I finally got my PF9 after worrying over one for the last 6 months.  I used to carry a Colt Defender before my accident (hit by a truck) but now I find it too heavy and my trusty S&W .38 snub's cylinder presses right where I hurt.  So I needed something flat and light.  Enter the PF9.  I finished up a trade today and brought her home.  I am very surprised at the function and accuracy.  As much as I have knocked Wolf ammo (for good reason, I never could get it to run in my wife's Kahr), I find myself with about 500 rounds of 9mm on hand as a 'throw in' from another trade.  So I thought 'What the heck, I'll use it to get a couple hundred rounds through her to break it in'.  Thinking all the while I will not be upset if it chokes on it or I have malfunctions.  Well, after 50 rounds (that was enough for one session, this little bugger does back up and bark!), I had no malfunctions of any kind and I was impressed by the accuracy of this gun with the wolf.  So here it is, shot from 10 yards off-hand, with the third magazine though the gun on my favorite pizza box targets.  Sometime I'm going to shoot it across a rest and she what she will really do.  Now all I need is a good holster and I'm happy!!!  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: New PF9 carry gun.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:29:36 AM »
I put together some leather scraps into a nice IWB holster and after carrying for a few days, I have to say that I am back in the CCW business.  This gun is light enough and flat enough that I am able to cary it all day and all evening long is spite of my injuries.  Although I had been 'packing' most of the time, I could not carry my .45 or even my snub .38 all day without pain.  It was to the point that I considered I might have to go to a 'mouse gun' to stay armed as I wanted to.  I do have friends that are perfectly comfortable with Kel Tec P32 dropped into a pocket.  I have a P32, and while better than no gun, I do not feel the confidence with it that I could handle all situations that might come up.  Now I have a gun that I can carry 'all' the time that I have confidence in.  Is it perfect?  No, I'd still rather have my 1911 .45 on my hip.  And while I will still carry one occasionally for a short walk in the woods, it cannot be my full time carry gun anymore.  But this PF9 fills the bill for me at this time in my life.  And the more I carry it, the more I like it.  Even if at some point in the future I can carry something larger again, I think this gun will stay my 'go to' carry gun, I like it that well.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
Re: New PF9 carry gun.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:03:37 AM »
Hello 44 man,
Like you I can no longer carry an old friend. Mine was a 65-5 Lady Smith.  After surgery recoil was just to much.  I went to a p-11 9mm and sat down to think about it.  I went down to the factory stores and bought a Levi trucker jacket one size too big.  Took off the sleeves (I noticed your picture has a vest) and took a trip to Tandy leather.  Lined the big pockets inside with a piece of leather held there by industrial velcro.  Put some more on an uncle Mike's fabric holster and p-ll goes in and stays at correct angle on the left side.  Magazines do the same on the right.  I never take off a vest when I'm out and thats even true here in Arizona.  If it's cold I just throw on a coat over it. My cc disappears so well I have had guys ask me where I managed to find a truckers vest.  It looks so good my wife had me do another two, one in black and one in new blue.  It sure helps me in taking load off waist and legs. I no longer have the backup of 6 rounds 357 mag, but 32 rounds of 9mm for less weight is it's own argument.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL