Author Topic: Any easy way to pull large number of cast bullets?  (Read 528 times)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Any easy way to pull large number of cast bullets?
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
I was given a large number of handloaded .357 mag ammo. Unknown if it was reloaded right so I would like to pull the bullets and resize the brass and reload them myself. They are loaded with a cast round nose bullet.
Too many to use an impact puller on. The reviews for press mounted pullers on Midway dont seem to be very favorable for use on cast bullets.

If the bullets are damaged during pulling it's no big deal-I'll just melt them down and recast them.
Any ideas?
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any easy way to pull large number of cast bullets?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »
You don't have to pull them all at once. When I have a large quantity of loaded ammo I want to break down, I do it in small lots with an impact puller. Takes a little time, but it gets the job done without damaging the bullet. When you hit your stride, you'll be surprised how fast you can pull 50 bullets with an inertia puller!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
 ??? I did very little research before buying a puller and had a chance to pick up a RCBS collet puller for a good price.
From what I just read it seams there may be an advantage to an impact puller.
What about the crimp?
It has to tear up the bullet some before the brass could expand if it does.
Sorry, Was not trying to hijack but us not so seasoned guys are still learning :-\
Mike

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
It sounds like a lot of work just to get some brass.  How many are you talking about?  Does your source know what is in them?  I would break down a few to see if I could identify what is in them.  If you can't verify that it is a safe load, get rid of them!

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:17:15 PM »
Put a shell holder on your press ram for the caliber.
Leave the die out and run the round through the die hole at the top of the press.
Clamp onto the bullet with a side cutter, I use a wire stripper and lower the ram.
You can pull a lot of bullets in a short time.

LP.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
Hornady Collet puller is the way to go. Once you set it up it's merely a matter of pulling down on the little lever on top of it to lock it on the bullet and then flip it back to release the bullet. No twisting and turning and such as others require. It works fine on cast or jacketed so long as there is some room for the collet to grab.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lakota

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:26 AM »
I pulled a few apart with my impact puller and they contain what looks like Universal at between 7.4 and 7.6 grains. Thats a bit over max according to the book I have.

I hate to let the components go to waste because I burn through .357 ammo like it is going out of style and it will only get worse when I pick up my .357 lever gun I have on layaway, so for now I am pulling a few everyday, but I might upgrade to a press mounted puller.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:42:44 AM »
Unless you reloaded them yourself and have a record of what powder was used DO NOT ASSUME you know what the powder is. If it is unknown it is not reuseable.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:34:25 AM »
I would not reuse the powder.  If you plan to do so, why bother to pull them apart?  As stated, if you are unsure do nor reuse it unless you do not like you gun or your face.  I have the hornady puller and I like how it works.I can pull apart a lot of ammo in a hurry.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline lakota

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
Oh no I wont reuse any powder of unknown origin. The cases and pulled bullets however will be put to good use.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
Pull the bullets. If they're not mangled, reload them with a known powder and shoot them. Otherwise put them in the melt pot and recycle them that way. The cases should be good. Put the unknown powder in your wife's flower bed. Good fertilizer.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
In the old days before i had a RCBS puller I used to take a couple of flat washer just big enough for the bullet to go through and clamp a pair of vise grips on the bullet them pull it out. 

The washers kinda keep it straight and protect the threads on the press and you don't have to use any hand pressure to hold onto every bullet you pull.
Linux Mint Mate 15