Author Topic: 500 handi reloading  (Read 283 times)

Offline searlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
500 handi reloading
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
hello, i'm new to this website,but not new at handloading. i just bought a 500 smith handi rifle and am thinking of reloading for it. i would like to know, from any one who would help me the chamber and throat dimensions for this handi. i would also like to know if any one has used a slow burning rifle powder to achieve greater velocity with safe working pressures. also thinking about reaming the throat to increase col by not seating the bullet as deep. no crimp should be necessary as it is a single shot. i like the barnes xpb and the hornady sp. thank you  searlock

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 500 handi reloading
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
WELCOME!!!

I also have one of these H&R's and load for it as you do. i have found best accuracy from lead bullets and lighter loads. Heavy loads seem to throw a flyer all too often for my liking. Once I started XMP5744 and 440 WFNGC bullets my accuracy really improved.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »
The crimp isn't just there to keep the bullets from creeping under recoil.  In the large bore pistol calibers usually require the heavy crimp to get the correct initial pressure required to get the slow burning powder used to ignite completely.  The extra barrel length will afford you more burn time, but I'm thinking that if you go even slower on the burn rate, the crimp will be important.

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
thanks guys, i know your suggestions will be helpful. searlock