Author Topic: fire forming a 17 hornet ai  (Read 594 times)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
fire forming a 17 hornet ai
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
hey guys have a 17 hornet ai and i'm wanting to make some brass from 22 hornet. i've never used the cream of wheat way before and would like to try it, i want to resize about 200 cases. everything i've read has said to use bullseye or something close to itbut they never say how much.

my question is: i dont have bullseye i do have H110 and lil gun would either of these work and how much powder would i use??
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: fire forming a 17 hornet ai
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
Of those 2 powders I'd go with the Lilgun and start at 3 grains  , try that and see how they form , if that dosn't blow the shoulder out enough work up to 3.5 grains .

With a small case like the Hornet I would not go much over that , or you could just do it the easy way , load them with a starting load and shoot them to fireform the cases .

Hodgdon's shows a starting load for 17AI Hornet with the 20g V-max @ 9.4g and a MAX of 10g using Lil'Gun .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
Years ago when I got my first 17 Ackley Hornet I wasted my time, some cream of wheat and powder fireforming my first hundred cases using Bullseye (yes I remember my load, but I don't post them).   Then I found out that fireform loads are nearly as accurate as they are after fireforming (so close in fact a digger didn't notice the difference even with head shots).   So my next couple of thousands cases where prepped, pre formed, loaded and hunted with to fireform them.

So IMO, I'd suggest not wasting your time and supplies fireforming this particular wildcat.   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline frankkj

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:31:19 AM »
+1 on what Ladobe said.

Frank
North of 60 and still goin' strong. Just not quite as fast, nor quite as strong!