Author Topic: Sidekick/BH209/MU Breech Plug/Lehigh bullets, a pretty good combination!  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I shot some Lehigh .400" 200 gr and .452" 250 grain bullets today out of the H&R Sidekick. I also did another o-ring mod to the 5/8" Metrics Unlimited breech plug, this time to the threaded end with a #11 o-ring. I also tape my plug with the pink P.T.F.E. teflon tape then put the o-ring over to help keep pressure stable in the threaded area of the plug. Here the tape and the o-ring are shown in different pictures, but tape first then slide on the o-ring for added seal. This setup gives me ZERO soot in the breech until I hit the 120 grain loads, the primers are clean except for some soot seeping between the primer and battery cup.

The Lehigh Bullets are really a work of art, excellent looking and shooting bullets in my early testing, almost too pretty to shoot. I shot all groups with Blackhorn 209, after trying 777 again a few weeks ago, I sure don't miss it or the crud ring none. I just shot 5 groups tonight, one group with the .400" 200 grainers, saving them to do some more testing with the fast twist .45. I did also shoot 4 groups with the .452" 250 grainers with different sabots and charges. I will do more thorough testing later, with some other sabots. The best group of the day was with 110 grains of BH209 and the HPH 24 sabot, top left group on target. The 120 grain group opened up quite a bit, could have been me, but I think it was the CR Sabot. Should have used the HPH 24 for all of groups, may do that next time. It's getting late, so you can read the close-ups for the different loads.

I just couldn't walk past the Flowering Crab Apple without taking a pic or two, it is in it's full glory today, unfortunately so are the dandelions. The grass isn't slowing down any either.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Vey nice Busta. those lehighs are impressive arnt they. trees pretty too :). Good shooting
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Good stuff as usual Busta!
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR