Author Topic: Holster Break In  (Read 559 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Holster Break In
« on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
I have had a Galco holster for my XD9 for about a year now and it still is stiff (tough to pull the gun out). I figured it might take a little while to break it in, but this is getting ridiculous. Any suggestions to expedite the break in?
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline williamlayton

Re: Holster Break In
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:08:49 AM »
Wet he holster, wrap weapon in thick plastic, shove gun in holster, let it dry for a day or two.
Works for me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:00:14 AM »
Wrap gun in plastic to water proof, Place holster in water just short of boiling to soften a little, put gun in holster, let dry overnight.  When dry holster should be sized, warm inside of holster and rub with beeswax, place wrapped gun back in holster and work until bees wax follows shape, rub inside of holster until most of bees wax is gone.  Holster should now hold securely and be very smooth on draw.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline jimster

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »
When I bought a galco years back they had instructions that came with it.  It said to rub and massage the holster all over like a ball glove, and that the gun it was made for would not go all the way in until this was done.  I followed the instrutions and just massaged it hard with my thumbs and fingers for a couple hours while watching tv...not bending it, just moving it, massaging it...after a while I could get the gun all the way in,  leave it in there for a day or so, and then weant back to working the leather all over again...in time the gun fit like a glove.  But it was  lot of work and your hands get tired.  I now do this with all new leather holsters that are real tight when new, don't know if Galco puts these instructions on holsters anymore....but the one I bought warned not to try to shove the gun in there first thing, and also said it was real likely you would not be able to.

The methods above are real good methods to, probably less work to.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
You may well get by without the warm water, try the bag first. Let it set over night that way and see where you are. You sure don't want to over do it and get it floppy.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
In progress. Thanks.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)