Author Topic: Help..need advice on a 380  (Read 3510 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help..need advice on a 380
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »
Just my own musings.
Pocket guns do have a place, I agree.
They can be a first line of defense or a second/backup.
What ever flavor or size they must be as dependable as a first line defense weapon.
I considered a .32---butttt.
The small .38's and .45's and .9mm are a bear too shot imo. The .380 is uncomfortable for range/lot's of shooting purpopses but are very comfortable in small batches.
I have a friend that carries a small 9mm and THAT is a bear for any amount of shooting.
The PPK has enough metal to help recoil--While I have a high grip I have never experienced the bite some do with it---I have with the older/military .45's without the beavertail. OUCH!
Whatever floats your boat/melts your butter is OK and probably will do a good job if needed.
It is an easy piece too plop in the pocket/waist band and take a run in the store.
It will not replace a full sized weapon in a firefight---haven't had one of those in Home Depot lately.
If I am in an area where the chances of confrontation is suspected there will not be a .380 in the pocket---I try and avoid those areas, again---buttt.
I don't go clubbing anymore.
I do take road trips---both the full sized and pocket are there.
Truck stops/fuel stops get my attention---day or night.
Stops for eating in areas I don't frequent get my attention.
I will not go too some areas of Houston unless I have a .50 caliber.
Don't come knocking on my door after 8PM if you are concerned about some nut opening the door armed.
You are welcome at my home about 3/4 AM for coffee---I will have a .45 on the table outside where I am allowed too smoke and take my coffee.
.380's fit a lot of gaps.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
When choosing a pocket pistol, rather than getting a smaller pistol, like those stupid plastic keychain lookin' things, I simply get a bigger pocket.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
  Seriously consider the Bersa. A relative has the standard Thunderer and I have the newer CC model. Both functioned perfectly with all ammo for thousands of rounds before 380 became so rare and why is that? So my post is a recommendation and a question. I can still find 9mm quite easily.  Kix

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »
   Both functioned perfectly with all ammo for thousands of rounds before 380 became so rare and why is that?  Kix
I'm sure it's an evil conspiracy, all American gun owners have conspired to suck up ever round of ammo they could find out of fear of the evil anti-gun conspiracy! ;D  Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. But seriously, .380 was never a best seller and so there was never nearly so much of it on the shelves before the hording started and manufacturers have not been in such a great hurry to catch up with it. But things are beginning to look up, our local Walmart has gotten a few boxes of various rifle and handgun ammo back on the shelves which were totally empty a month ago.
 I just got a CZ-82 in 9x18 and Grafs had some ammo, although 2/3 of their normal options were out of stock. That CZ is another one to consider, mine is really quite nice, too big for a true pocket gun, about the size of a Bersa, but the trigger is very slick and it is a "13 shooter".
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
I know the Browning BDA .380 is not considered a "pocket" or "little" pistol.  But as .380s go, there is no finer shooting or looking .380 out there.  I lost one during Katrina.  And, although I really liked that Browning, I must buy less expensive and more useful now. 

The .380 is certainly no hunting round and, for CC I use my .44 special Bulldog Pug or even my Springfield 1911 mil-spec .45acp.  I just want some mass and a bigger hole than the .380 offers.

Just Google that BDA and see what I'm talkin about!

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »
Consider a Sig in .380.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:27 PM »
US-Male, I for one am not and have never been a fan of the .25, .32 or .380-auto! Now I have run tests on most all the calibers using "self-defense" ammo and the .380-auto leaves a lot to be desired. It is a pistol that could possibly get a guy off your back perhaps. I won't trust one to do so.

One test I ran was in wet newspaper at 6 feet away, with 3 layers of denim over the wet paper. The .380-auto has (Cor-Bon 100grn bullet) 190-lbs of kinetic energy at the muzzle. The total penetration on this particular test was around the 3.5 inches.
In comparison, it's big brother, the 9mm Luger (115 grn bullet) caliber penetrated almost 5.75 inches and 6.3 (125 grn bullet) inches in another test. The 9mm Luger has ammo rated at 483-lbs of kinetic energy.....knockdown power or what ever term you wish to use.

In the summer, I wear "cargo shorts" big pockets with a sub-compact Glock pistol in the pocket or sometimes a baggy T-shirt and conceal the weapon inside my pants or shorts. I also carry it sometimes in my back jean pocket, grip clears the jean pocket and is hidden by my shirt hanging out. I don't trust my life on cheap pocket pistols! The Ruger JAMMING LCP is the worst by far and recalls did not help the fact.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »
bought the ppks (S&W) about 1 year ago. It jammed and the trigger pull was terrible. Sent it to S&W when they had the recall. It is now a great gun. No jams and really accurate. However, I'd go with the Bersa-price and quality

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »
KelTec P3 AT is what I carry...
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
Buddy of mine just bought a Bersa (two tone, light weight, probably about 17 oz,) and it works very well, he bought it under $300.00. I had a Kel tec but got rid of it. I never liked carrying it with a round in the chamber and the thing in my pocket with the knife clip it came with. I held onto it until I read an article on line about a guy that did some test with it and the velocity was way way down there, (can't remember the figures but it wasn't good.) I believe the 380 is a good round, but maybe not in that barrel length. Of course having a Keltec or LCP is betten then yelling help me and sticking your head in the sand.

Offline DAG460

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
I have and recommend the Ruger LCP .380 with the CT laser.  Mine has run 100% so far with everything I feed it encluding cast hand loads.  I also have a Colt Mustang that has been 100%, but they are not easy to find on the used market.

DAG

Offline Savage

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 02:12:42 AM »
Almost everyone speaks highly of the Bersa.  But-----------if I'm going to carry a gun that size and weight, I'll go with the PF9. It's lighter and smaller/thinner than the Bersa, and it's a 9x19.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 04:24:21 AM »
I put the .380 in the 25acp category...I want samll and lite or I'll carry a small 9 (SW3914).  Ruger or Sig looks about the right size, the new walther p380 is kinda big.  A ppk is classy and worth the $$, but is right on the edge of being the max size/weight for a .380 that I would be williing to carry...I wish they would make one with an aluminum frame.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!