Author Topic: Looking for good 9mm  (Read 2760 times)

Offline shootercochran

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for good 9mm
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »
I'm looking for a good 9mm pistol.  Not something small and light.  I want something with a good feel to it.

I want something decently accurate and looking in a price range of 200-300 dollars.

Thanks for the help.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Looking for good 9mm
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »
Tons of great guns.  To me, best price to quality ratio is the CZ75 (85 if you're a lefty as it is ambi).

Another highly underrated 9 is the P89.  With a trigger job (necessary), it is still way under $500 in stainless, and probably under 4 for a good used one.  Add 50 for a trigger job (lots of 9s need them, not just the rugers).

FWIW, MHO.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »
Thanks!

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
Look for a refurb Glock.  I have one in 40S&W and it is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever shot. I think it was around $400.  In that price range you're a bit limited.  If your top end is $500, then you have many more options.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:40:31 AM »
Used Glocks, and Rugers can be frequently found for around $350. Bought a used Glock mdl 22 a while back for $325. It was still pretty much like new. The Glocks or Rugers are both extremely durable, and will last several lifetimes with any care at all. Of the Ruger "P" series the P95 is the best of the 9mms in my opinion. Of the two mentioned, I prefer the Glock.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
Now the ruger P-series in 9mm polymier frame runs about 300 msrp right?  And they are fairly good?

I'm looking actually at a top end of $300.   I don't know what I can find for that price, but I hope something good.

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm wanting one one with a hammer,  NOT a striker fired one.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
you may want to consider the cz82 in 9mm makarov in your price range and very accurate.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
Yea, I skipped right over the price limit, which is VERY limiting.  I'd frankly recommend that you wait a few months, save a few extra bucks, and look at a good used Glock.  They can be had the cheapest of the good guns, best I can tell, but you are still looking north of 300.  The P95 is a great gun, but the P89s can be had pretty cheap if you look around.  People don't think that they are pretty, but you can drive tent stakes with them and still shoot pretty good groups.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:07:04 AM »
I think if I was going for another 9mm I would still look at the Walther P-38/P-1, or the Browning Hi-Power (which will probably cost more than your limit), or maybe a FEG (Browning copy).  Or, if you can find a Tokarev in 7.62x25mm you can always get a 9mm barrel for it and have two calibers to play with.  Just a thought...

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:59:20 AM »
Ok so I'm thinking of stepping up my limit. 

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=13009&return=Y

I'm thinking of getting one of these.

I'm also now considering .45 auto.
 In a 1911 style pistol.

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:17 AM »
I really wasn't impressed with the glock lineup.  They all looked like striker fired pistols to me, where as the rugers are hammer fired, unless you look at the SR9.

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
Is polymier frame or alluminum fame better? 
Which one will I be able to put more rounds through?

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 04:40:42 AM »
All Glocks are striker fired.  Which isn't an issue for me.  Glocks were made to stand up to abuse, and though they can break, it's usually something that's easily fixed and rarely happens anyway.  They are extremely reliable and as accurate as most.  If you really want a hammer and are considering a 1911, then look at the Springfield GI45.  It's their most basic but still shoots well. . . at least mine does.  In a 9mm, the CZ75 or any of it's variants are excellent along with the Browning HiPower, but it's pricey.  The Beretta 92 is good, but the grip is large and it doesn't fit many people well and to me it feels somewhat grip heavy.

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11:25 AM »
Thanks, the thing with the hammer fired ones is, I can keep the hammer down on a cartridge and then fire, instead of racking the slide.

Offline shootercochran

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a CZ or a ruger.

How well built are the Cz's?  I notice they have a steel frame.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »
1911 won't do that. . . unless you get a double action like the Para-Ordnance.  All the striker-fired pistols are that way. . . no racking the slide to cock and fire.  Some have external safeties (Springfield XD) and some don't (Glock).  You're looking for an external hammer DA/SA like the CZ or Ruger.  The HiPower (if I remember correct. . . it's been a while since I shot one) is SA only like the 1911.  

If you're looking for a defense pistol, get something that is simple to operate.  A 1911 cocked and locked is pretty simple.  A Glock is even more so.  I don't like a DA/SA where you have to disengage a safety and then have a long double-action trigger pull and then i switches to a light single-action pull after the first shot.  I like it to feel the same every time I pull the trigger.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
The Rugers are extremely well made, but so are the CZs.  If I wasn't broke from hoarding reloading supplies ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::), I'd get a cz 85.  It, to me, is beautiful, functions beautifully, and like the Rugers, is built like a tank.  Also, though I've only shot two (cz 75s, same gun, non ambi), they were both marvelously accurate and well balanced.

Last point, after my trigger job, that P 89 is a great gun.  It is a little less accurate than the CZs, but only fractionally, and will last until my children's children are caught by the commies.

Offline Smilin' Jack

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
I own and like Rugers, but have never had or fired one their semi-auto pistols, I do however believe them to be of good quality and value.

As to the CZs ... I have a CZ 85 Combat, 9mm, glossy blue finish, adj. sights, and adj. trigger- that has never malfunctioned in any way, is accurate, and has great ergonomics. I bought it because it was  of ALL steel construction and was a "substantial" type service pistol.

I also have two other CZs that I really like, a .40-P, and a 40-B. Both are always accessable and are never  stashed or locked away in a safe. I keep 'em close, usually in spittin' distance.

I know the CZs are more expensive now than they used to be when I acquired mine, but many regard the CZs as being on par or superior to the likes of Berettas, Sigs, Walthers, or Whatever ... that cost way more.

The CZ 75 design has been one of the most copied handguns ever as the Witness, Tanfoglio, Swedish Sphinx, the  new Armalite, et, al. Coming from a then Communist country they were banned from import into the U.S. for many years.  Also CZ never patented their CZ 75 design.

Col. Jeff Cooper has oft been quoted as saying, "The CZ 75 is the best 9mm Pistol in the world."

They ARE good ... that good.

I have a Belgium Hi-Power, Beretta Brigadier, High end Walther P-5 and P-88 C, ... but one pistol that I would still like to acquire (and you might want to consider) is the Bersa Thunder-9, which is a well made clone of my Walther P-88 C and is still quite in-expensive.

The Bersa Thunder .380:
... is a (superior?) copy of the Walther PPK (a blow-back action).
I have an earlier Bersa Model-86 .380 Undercover model and have found it to be very good in quality, dependable, and accurate.

The Bersa Thunder-9:
... is a quality copy of the Walther P-88 C (a locked breech action).
I think this Thunder-9 is  a "sleeper" and a lot of people just don't know or appreciate how good this "all-metal" 9mm pistol actually is. Especially in our new "polymer" pistol world. There's also a .40 version.

Offline Savage

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »
Ok, here's the pistol with all of the features you want including price. Great ergonomics, hammer fired, steel or polymer, and probably cheaper than the Ruger. MUCH better choice than the P95 (The P95 is the best of the Ruger P" Line).  Remember, the prices you see listed are suggested factory. Actual prices are in the $350 range for the basic Witness line.
http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-steel-description.html
Savage

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
I have a Ruger P-95 DC and with almost 500 rounds through zero malfunctions to date. It is the stainless slide/ black polymer frame model. Nice gun for the money. Only complaint is if you have smallish hands the grip will be a bit thick for you. Made in USA, traditional da/sa, reasonably priced, reliable, whats not to like?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 12:18:20 PM »
Buy a Glock if you want a good 9mm.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Swampman,

I like them too, but he wants to stay within a budget, and doesn't want a striker fired gun.  Thus, glocks are out. 

That EAA Witness looks pretty good

Savage, have you handled one?

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »
Sharke,

As I write this the 9mm version lays on my desk. Just got through cleaning it for the upcoming IDPA match this weekend. I bought the 10mm wonder finish about 6yrs ago. Paid about $340 OTD. Liked the gun and the ergonomics well enough that I now own the 9mm and .45acp versions. I also bought a .40 barrel for the 10mm upper. Among others, I own Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, and a Hi Power. I'm shooting the Witness this weekend, guess that says a lot!
Savage

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »
Yea,

I'm tracking with all of you guys.  That's why my first reply was "tons of great guns".  Frankly, aren't very many that I wouldn't like to shoot, with the qualifying statement that there are a few junk guns out there.  We are fortunate that even the guns made outside the US are usually serviceable, and many are very nice for under $450 new.  There is even a reasonable selection of great guns at under $375.

Getting below $300, I've found that the selection dwindles quickly, and usually means that somebody is better off with a good used Glock for instance, than a new Cheapotometl 99x at the same price.

The good thing is that there are literally millions of 9s out there, used and new.  Really, it's hard not to find a decent one with minor patience and a little research.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:17 AM »
Thanks, the thing with the hammer fired ones is, I can keep the hammer down on a cartridge and then fire, instead of racking the slide.

IIRC all Glocks are double action - so you should be able to fire without racking the slide.  I may be mistaken though - I down own a Glock.

Note that the 1911's that you reference are single action, so if your hammer is down you can't fire without first cocking the hammer manually.

Just for my $0.02, I've got a 1911, and I might get lynched for saying this, but I'm just not a fan.  It's heavy, and the feel in my hand just isn't that comfortable.  Mine, like many, is also kinda finicky with ammo. Don't get me wrong a tricked out one is a BEAUTIFUL gun, but from a functional standpoint, I'll pass.

I also have a Ruger P-95.  Good gun.  Cycles well, feels better in the hand than the 1911, but it is still a bit wide for my small hands.  Could be a tad more accurate for my tastes, but definitely a good value and right above your price range.

The CZ-82 referenced earlier is certainly within your price range.  I've got one of these too and it's functioned flawlessly for me, but it's not the "regular" 9mm so ammo is harder to find (and a tad more expensive in most places when you do find it), so that's a drawback.  It balances better than the Ruger for me though.

My current favorite gun though is my SIG P6.  About 6 months ago they were under $300 on the used market.  Not sure where they're at now, but worth a look.  It's metal framed (which I prefer over polymer), 9mm Luger, and mine not only cycles great but is also more accurate than my Ruger and balances MUCH better in my hands.  Only negative here is that it's a single stack magazine, so you're capped out at 8 shot capacity.  Still, that generally makes for a slimmer gun, which may be why it handles better for me.  YMMV.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
MGMorden dudn't like the 1911?? Sumbody git a rope ;D ;D :)

Offline Savage

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
I'd more likely take issue with the P95 feeling better in the hand than a 1911!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)  In the 30 or so years the P95 has been out, I've never heard anyone say the P95 felt better than anything!  Good solid gun, IMO the best of the "P" series, but everyone I've heard describe one, the word "Clunky" keeps coming up. I bought one back in the early 80s, I believe--------. My wife liked it because she could grasp the big wide slide to cycle the action. She lost interest in it after she shot it some. It now belongs to my son. Still a good choice for an inexpensive 9mm, but I believe the CZs and the Tanflgios are far better pistols for the money.
Savage

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »
I'd more likely take issue with the P95 feeling better in the hand than a 1911!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)  In the 30 or so years the P95 has been out, I've never heard anyone say the P95 felt better than anything! 

Like I said, I like both the CZ-82 and the SIG P6 in my hands more.  Saying I liked the P-95 feel more than the 1911 goes further to show just how much I DISLIKE the way the 1911 feels rather than how much I like the P-95 ;).

I think I'm just an oddball in not liking the 1911 though.  Don't get me wrong mine is an accurate gun, but I've found that I just never end up taking it out to the range b/c I don't enjoy it.  Swapping out the original wooden grips for a set of Hogue wrap-arounds helped out some, but still didn't bring it up to par.

Like I said, it's a beautiful gun, but it's strange the way looks and feel don't always jive.  I've got a Remington 1858 Army replica by Pietta.  Awesome looking gun.  Looks just like the old western six-shooters I saw in movies as a kid.  Pick it up though and it's a clunky, unbalanced pain.  I've also got an 1895 Nagant revolver though.  It's ugly as sin.  The trigger pull is also horrid ... but the gun fits my hand like a glove.

And although it doesn't have anything to do with the ergonomics of the 1911, after having shot both I just far, far prefer double action to single.

Offline Savage

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
MGMorden,
I guess that's why they make so many different models and styles of handguns! I own several 1911s, and love the ergonomics,------------but----------for some unknown reason, I keep showing up at matches with Glocks/Hi Powers/CZs maybe a revolver now and then. Ahhhhhhhhh, so many guns, so little time!!   ;)
Savage