Author Topic: caps  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
caps
« on: September 15, 2003, 12:59:31 PM »
You asked 2 questions.  The CCI magnum are the most powerful  (they are made to set off Pyrodex).  But the Remington are (now) the most reliable, and fit the best.  Your call.  If your local gunshop doesn't have them, check the internet, like Warren Muzzle loading or such.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
What name brand caps are the best?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 05:50:27 PM »
I agree with Flint all the way............except that I have a batch of Rem #10s that I have found the gel missing from some and loose and falling out on some others. I have to inspect each and every one of them before capping. I have found this on 2 tins so far and if I get it on another, I plan to write the company and see if they are aware of this batch.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 04:33:58 AM »
The Rem's fit well enough to stay on most everything I shoot from pistols to rifles (I don't own anything with musket nipples or anything similar).  The CCI caps I have fall off my pistols and gum up the works .  I have also had them fall off in the field while the gun is being carried.  The Rem's are reliable and haven't caused me any misfires.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 07:21:46 AM »
Are caps starting to get on the pricey side or is it just it  me havin flash backs to when they usta be .......... :shock:

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 07:33:54 PM »
Actually, the only thing cheap about shooting cap & ball is the guns.  The balls are more expensive to buy than bullets for cartridges, the powder you use a lot more of per load, and the caps cost more than primers, add Bore Butter and Wonder Wads, and it adds up fast.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 01:02:42 AM »
Ok... so it's not just me and my tighter than bark on a tree way of thinking.
Since this post is about caps. Does anyone here remember the tool that used pop cans to make yer own caps ? I think is was marketed by Dixie Gun works for awhile.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 10:17:04 AM »
It's called the TAP-O-CAP and is still sold by Dixie Gun Works for $28.50. It's on page 275 of the 2003 catalog.
Dixie claims that about 1,000 caps can be made for about $2.00 in materials. The aluminum pop cans are readily available. The biggest expense is the toy caps you buy that go inside the aluminum percussion cap.
Is it worth it? I've read other posts extoll its virtues. Others have said it's slow and tedious work. Perhaps it would be a good thing to do during winter evenings when the snow is driving horizontal across your windows and you're just sitting in front of the TV, anyway.
I don't know how well the caps work. All I've ever seen posted is how marvelous/aggravating the TAP-O-CAP is.
Frankly, I'd just as soon buy my caps. Tedium makes me cranky.  :evil:
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 02:06:09 AM »
I have never tried making my own, but I can tell you from bad experience Remmington has recently lengthened their caps.  I have shot Remmington, no. 11s with no problem.  Went to a shoot in June and they wouldn't fit my straight or snail capper.  Ruined both cappers trying to get the few that were jammed in there out.  I switched back to CCIs.  No problem since.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 11:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the info on the TAP 0 CAP.  :grin:

Offline Louis Farrugia

• http://www.dolphinforge.com
PERCUSSION CAPS
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 04:06:02 AM »
HI HWOOLDRIDGE

LOUIS FROM MALTA EUROPE,
I USE TO USE CCI CAPS IN MY ROGER & SPENCER BEFORE THE 1911 NOW IT IS INPOSIBLE TO INPORT EXPLOSIVE SO AT THE CLUB EVERY BODY IS MAKEING HIS OWN CAPS WITH FORSTER CAP MAKER, AND THEY SURE WORK.

BEST REGARDS

LOUIS

Quote from: HWooldridge
The Rem's fit well enough to stay on most everything I shoot from pistols to rifles (I don't own anything with musket nipples or anything similar).  The CCI caps I have fall off my pistols and gum up the works .  I have also had them fall off in the field while the gun is being carried.  The Rem's are reliable and haven't caused me any misfires.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 07:23:46 AM »
Hoi Louis from Malta!  The paper caps that you are using in your home made caps...Where are they made?  Just curious in that Forster recommends that US made caps be used as they are hotter.  I can only find the Chinese made stuff here, but haven't tried them yet.  :-)

As to the first question, Like Flint said.  I also use CCI mags and they are available at our local gunshops.  Easy to find here cause our local shops only sell Pyrodex.  I use Goex from a private dealer and will probably be switching back to standard CCI.  There's a pretty good price difference between the two, here, and I haven't noticed any real difference in reliability with Goex.    :-)
Singing Bear

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 08:42:06 AM »
I've used CCI magnums for years, mainly because they were easier to find than any others and never had a problem.  I started getting a few miss fires from a tin and tried the Remingtons.  I found a lot of the Remingtons would miss fire or were light on the pop, I didnt' have a proble with my snail capper though.   I did have a problem with the remingtons staying on the nipples.  All my guns except one have the factory nipples.  An 1860 army is about to get Treso nipples due to fire erosion(read a lot of rounds)

The best I've found is a German made cap that the local hunting store has(cant' remeber the name off hand)  They are hot and stay on the nipples, both factory and Treso(though on the Tresso nipples I had to dry fire my gun a little to brad them enough they would stay on)  The only problem I have with them is that they are a little shorter than the CCI's or Remingtons and every once in a while turn wrong side up in my capper.  They come in a green plastic tin with a red lable on the top, if anybodies interested I'll look at the tin and post the name when I get off the rig in 8 days.

I recently bought more CCI's and havent' had a problem.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Vgaby

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 09:39:06 AM »
The german caps named "RWS" No. 1075 Dinamit Nobel made it. It's perfect caps.
Hungarian Muzzloading Association  #0048
First Warthog of Hungary
If you make a hole, make a big one !