Author Topic: New to the gun Biz  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Navy_Dr

• Trade Count: (0)
New to the gun Biz
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
Greeting to all.

A friend of mine told me about this website and what a resource it was for the outdoorsman.  I grew up on Ohio and do not have much experience with rifles or handguns because we are primarily only allowed to hunt with shotguns (my Remington 870 express has been my one and only).  I honestly have never seen the utility in buying a handgun or rifle...until now.

After talking to him I am thinking of getting a .357 Magnum because of the versitility.  I have young children and a wife that I want to teach to shoot as well so people have also suggested a .38.  I have shot in the past but not much relatively speaking.  I personally feel comfortable with both handguns and rifles but want/NEED to pass this along to the family.  I am currently in the Navy deployed with the U.S. Marines so I have a sudden strong urge to protect me and mine, plus they are just fun to shoot.

Because I love the versitility of my 870 that is what I will be looking for in a rifle and handgun as well.  I will want to shoot for fun and now that I am older travel to do some hunting with them as well.

If anyone has any fact or opinion for me to help me decide which way to go I am all ears.  Thanks for the help and so far I have really enjoyed the website.

Until next time...

Offline timothy

• Contributor
Re: New to the gun Biz
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
Since you love your 870 I recomend you look at a remington 760/7600 or whatever they call them nowdays. For a handgun I say take a look at the S&W 686. Good luck

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »
Welcome!

The .357 is an excelleent choice, not only can most quality guns handle the hot .357 for personal defense they can also shoot the light loaded .38s.  TRhis is an advantage when teaching an inexperienced shooter to handle the gun.  Start with light load .38s and work your way up to the .357s.

The Smith and Wesson is always a good choice, I won't recommend a model  because you have not stated what the gun will be used for. 

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
If your goal is to educate your wife to shoot, she should have some say in what "feels" good in her hands.

Find a indoor range if possible that will let her try a number of guns for fit.  If you can swing it, you may consider getting her something more to her liking (recoil, size) if it is not what you personally would want.

I have so equipped my bride.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:28:27 AM »
Navy_ Dr:  Your friend is right - the 357 offers lots of versatility.  A standard length barrel (4") in a typical double action/single action revolver in 357 is about the most versatile revolver I can think of.  I would specifically recommend the Smith and Wesson line of revolvers.  I would not recommend one of their lightweight Scandium or alloy frame revolvers as they are pretty light and recoil (blast and bark, too) is more noticeable in those revolvers than in the heavier steel frame guns.  The heavier frame revolver might make it easier for your family to learn to use the gun rather than fear it.....

In fact, as a starter I would recommend a standard 4" barrelled Smith and Wesson Model 10 38 Special.  Yes the 357 is more versatile as it will handle both 38 Special and 357 loads but some of the 38 loadings you can purchase today are close enough to the 357 mark that a criminal wouldn't know the difference if used for defense.  Also, for most hunting situations when using a handgun for finishing shots, the 38 Spl is adequate for that purpose and a good companion to the 870.  Ammo for the 38s run the gamut from target wadcutters (easy load to shoot in a standard revolver), defensive rounds and loadings usable in the field.

By the way and just to add some more fuel to your fire, if you look around you may be able to find .410 adapters for the 12 guage which are a lot of fun to use and a excellent training vehicle with smaller framed people (younger children).  Good luck.  HTH.

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:51:39 AM »
Well, you already have what is IMHO the most versatile and dependable shotgun ever made so I'm sure you'll do alright in your future choices.  Just take your time, mull over all the suggestions, handle and shoot as many prospects as you can, and then decide what's right for you and your family.

As many have said, you can't go wrong with an S&W revolver.  A .357 magnum with 4" barrel is the 870 of the handgun world.  It will do everything from target shooting with .38 special loads to hunting up to medium size game with full power .357 magnum loads.  It will make an excellent home defense gun and although a little big and heavy it can even be carried concealed if you wish.

The rifle is a little harder to recommend without knowing what/where you will be hunting.  The .30/06 is a classic and will handle everything from coyotes up to the big bears, although I would probably feel more comfortable with something a little heavier for the latter.

Two things you didn't mention and I feel are indispensible for training/practice/plinking are a .22 rifle and a .22 handgun.  With them you can have hours of fun and valuable training for the same cost as a few minutes of shooting with your centerfire handgun and rifle.

Good luck and enjoy!

Offline Navy_Dr

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am starting to think the .357 is the way to go.  I will have to check out the remington as previously mentioned. 
I plan to hunt big game out west (or where ever I can) once I get the chance with the rifle.  the handgun will probably be for target shooting, carrying once I am home and personal home defense.  I am hearing a lot about the S&W but there are a lot of makers out there.  I look forward to reading a lot more about them over the next several months.

thanks again...

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
I love my S&W revolvers, and I've got a bunch of them, but I'm going to recommend something else — a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357. It's big enough to take to the range and target shoot with .38s, or .357s. It handles them both well. It is also small enough to carry concealed if later you and/or your wife gets a carry permit. My wife got one about 14 years ago, and she loves it. It was simple for her to learn on (no magazines, jams, etc.) and the grip fit her hand well (again, no magazine running through the middle of it). Now she has the CT Laser grip, but that's because she doesn't see as well as she used to.

S&W has dropped the K-frame revolvers, but you may still find a model 19 or 66 out there with a 2.5" or 3" barrel, but I really think the little Ruger is one of the finest handguns ever made. It will need a trigger job, but it's a tank that can handle any load you put through it, and is not punishing to shoot. Accurate, too. When my wife took her training class, she was hitting drop targets and 30 and 40 yards with it. No one told her that was hard to do. Her instructor said do it, and she did. (What a gal!) The 3" barrel is a great all purpose length. Long enough to sight down it well, and yet short enough to hide if you need to.

Just a thought. Check it out before you make a final decision. It was the first centerfire gun we ever bought, and 30 guns later, it would be the last one we'd have if we had to sell the rest. (I even have one in .22 LR, too.)

And speaking of .22s, yes, with the price of ammo today, you're gonna need one for fun and practice, too! But that's another thread!  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »
IF, you are thinking about the .357 then consider this fact.
The .357 is a 9MM/.38--not a lot of difference except the powder charge.
IF, you want to consider a pistol in other than a revolver there are offerings.
You can, in a 1911 configuration or other types of semi-autos, get a .38 super/9x23/.357Sig. The best defense weapon, IMO, is a 9X23. It is a good weapon for the trail and a good weapon for many medium 4 legged preditors.
I carry, often, a .38 super or a .357sig.
You will find velocities to be approximately the same--the 9X23 can be a little hotter than the .357.
For the best personal protection---IMO, again---is a .45,,,,why shoot someone twice?
There are options.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
Yes there are a lot of handgun choices But a .357/.38 is the number one selling caliber for good reason. It works and it works well.

I personally am a big fan of Rugers, The GP 100 6" Being my first choice 4" next, but Smiths are very nice as well as Dan Wessons and Colts.   I don't care much for Tarus or Rossi.  I do believe if you get what feels good when you pick it up, You will normally be happy with it later.

I would also recommend a simple reloading kit. .38/.357s are very easy to learn loading with and it can save you alot if the family becomes interested in shooting more.  Good luck.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:11:41 AM »
I would disagree that the .357 is the number one selling, until I can see proof.
The .45 may be the better choice in the number 1 catagory.
The comment was made advising that, if a 9mm was the choice, one could get an automatic in equal or better velocities. That is not opinion that is a fact.
If one wants to debate the standards of choices and which is better, why does the military choose semi-autos. They are accurate, carry more rounds, and reload faster.
Blessings     
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
Autos also jam. The more moving parts and pieces there are, the more chances for something to go wrong.

Navy_Dr is not only getting this for himself, but also to train his wife and children. I'm sure that is why he is looking at a revolver. There is only one main part -- the gun, not two -- the gun and separate magazine.
The revolver is easier to load and learn on.
The grip is smaller and easier to handle than most autos, plus a rubber Hogue grip helps absorb recoil.
If he gets the .357 (like he was first looking at) then he has the tame .38s for practice, and for the wife to learn on, and then the .357 loads for self-home defense.
The .357 IS #1, though like you I carry a .45 most of the time. However, if I could only have one gun (heaven forbid) it would be one of my .357s.

He can get a .45 later. After he gets that .22 for inexpensive practice and plinking. ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 12:56:56 AM »
According too my research, the 9MM is the largest selling. We are splitting hairs here.
The biggest sellers are semi-autos. Semi's account for better than 75% of sales.
You are tough to find .38 supers or 9x23's in a revolver.
I much prefer the auto to the revolver, for many reasons.
To say it is much simpler too learn on is not much of an arguement for about 5 minutes of teaching can bring one too full understanding of the mechanics of a auto.
Profeciency, with either, takes much longer.
I think that auto's are easier too shoot, easier too shoot accurately and, needless to argue, faster.
The softest shooters, with full loads, that I own are my .38Supers and my 9x23 and with loads can perform at any level of the .357.
Jamming and malfunction are not inherant in auto's and I would never trust any gun, with my life on the line, without knowing it will function.
If I had to pick up a gun out of a pile and defend myself---it would be a Sig, and, hopefully in a .45.
Again, if one has settled on a 9mm, I still like the 9x23 in a Semi format over the .357.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »
Williamlayton, you sure you don't mean 9x19? 9x23 is fairly hard to find and is certainly not the "largest selling" 9mm. 9x19 is the common parabellum/luger round.

According too my research, the 9MM is the largest selling. We are splitting hairs here.
The biggest sellers are semi-autos. Semi's account for better than 75% of sales.
You are tough to find .38 supers or 9x23's in a revolver.

Again, if one has settled on a 9mm, I still like the 9x23 in a Semi format over the .357.
Blessings

Offline Hook686

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
Perhaps you are right William.

Personally I prefer revolvers. My first was a S&W 686, 4". Great handgun. The only revolver I like better is my S&W 627PC, 5" barreled .357 magnum.

I also have a Marlin 1894C, .357 magnum lever gun. With Buffalo Bore loads, and inside 150 yards, it is like having a 30-30. With .38 Specials it is more like shooting a .22.

Everyone has their favorites. I'm glad you like your .45's. I've never cared much for the .45 acp.
Hook686

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
No, he means 9x23. It is a hot little 9mm, but unless you reload and roll your own you're pretty well out of luck.
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 01:34:54 AM »
For a first handgun for all of the family to learn to shoot, I vote for a .22 revolver - probably 4 inch and if you can find one, a Smith 617. The 6 inch Model 17 is always a good choice. I bought my first one in 1957. After everyone learns to shoot well, you can always pick up a used S&W model 10 in .38 spl. for 200-300.

I have been shooting handguns since about 1953 and still shoot the .22's more than all of the others - and that includes 9mm, .38, .357, .41,.44, .45acp, .45AR and .45 Colt.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »
    I am currently in the Navy deployed with the U.S. Marines so I have a sudden strong urge to protect me and mine, plus they are just fun to shoot.

How bad are those Marines scaring you? LOL!

You can pick up a used S&W Mod. 10 for around $250 that will actually make for a real dandy sidearm, though it's only chambered in .38. If you have more cash than that, I'd suggest a Ruger or one of the nicer S&W's. DO NOT get an airweight and expect your wife to shoot .357's. That hurts.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!