Author Topic: Bigger than St. Barbara  (Read 618 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Bigger than St. Barbara
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »
I guess that it’s not always easy being a star; a paparazzo snaps the famous Cannonmn in the Raleigh City Museum in North Carolina, and he does not appear to be amused.

John, I’m just messin’ with ya, but you’ve got to admit that the look on your face might suggest that the curator just told you he ran over your favorite cat…………..on purpose.

Bigger than St. Barbara
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Bigger than St. Barbara
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:21:23 AM »
What can I say, "busted!" 

It was worth the trip to see one that was complete.

I have one just like that in the collection, but all the moving parts of the breech are long gone.   It still has a very nice rifled bore, so someday I'm going to restore mine to some kind of firing condition, but it will be with a much-simplified breech mechanism that isn't "rapid-fire."

Offline wvdad

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:31:43 AM »
Cannonmn, I live in West Virginia and if you can get prints of pieces you need for your gun, I would gladly donate machine time and some materials,if I have them on hand, to help restore it.You know as long as we arent talking about building the titanic or anything.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:53:40 AM »
Well, thanks!  That's a deal I won't be able to walk away from!  I don't know of any dimensioned prints in this country, probably are some in some archive in the UK.  I'll ask a friend who is "into" that kind of gun though.

It'd probably be almost as easy for me to get it drawn from measurements taken on site in Raleigh.  We'll definitely have to talk, I'm glad this came up, because I hate to do anything half-azz unless there's no other way.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
Cannonmn, I don't know who wrote this piece (I'm guessing the curator), but he mentions that the Nordenfelt was kept outdoors for "many years," was "rusted solid," and the fact that you worked on it for two days. How bad was the breech mechanism, and what procedure did you follow when working to free it up?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
How bad was the breech mechanism, and what procedure did you follow when working to free it up?

He exaggerated a bit, the mech was frozen solid was what he meant to say.  The mech was designed so there wasn't much room for rust really.  I think there was enough original grease in the parts so it took many years for the oxidation to begin.  Parts may have been blued or browned also originally, hard to tell now.

I hate to reveal trade secrets of course, but to free up anything, the very best way of all is to dunk the whole thing in an electrolysis vat and cook it there for the prescribed time.  The vendors with facilities to do that enclose the whole thing in a chickenwire (or whatever it is) cage, then lower it in with a crane and turn on the juice.  That gets the oxidation out from between bolt threads and anything else, like magic.  Take it out and everything works.

Since that wasn't possible here, I used more traditonal techniques which include penetrants, impact (vibration), reversing motions, etc.  Penetrants are getting better all the time, way back the best was Kroil or Silikroil, then Break-Free was good (still is) and now one called "PB Blaster."  This stuff actually seems to be able to dissolve rust to a certain extent.  You get this pungent-smelling stuff at auto supply stores.  Here's an ad just so you can recognize the can:  http://www.bizrate.com/automotivecare/products__keyword--blaster+penetrant.html

Heat is great too, heating and cooling, and injecting penetrant so the cooling sucks it into small spaces.  That wasn't possible here.

Impact works wonders and works the penetrant in to small spaces.  Impact causes vibration at high frequencies and does good work on stuck things.

Whenever you are workiing with stuck bolts or rotating things, never just torque it on one direction, go back and forth in both directions (be gentle in the "tightening" direction of course.)  Don't argue and don't ask why, just do it.

One thing that seems to help on rotating things is to scribe an index mark on both parts so you can tell the instant it starts to move, and in which direction it is moving.  Then you can keep doing whatever you were doing when it started to move.  This sounds dumb but believe me when you spend an entire day trying to get one shaft to turn a little, you'll want a scribe mark on it.