Author Topic: Lee alox lube  (Read 1303 times)

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Lee alox lube
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
Any of you guys ever used Lee Liquid Alox on standard bullets vs; the micrgrove bullets???
Looking to use a 158gr rnfp out of a 4inch revolver at @800fps , out of a 16 inch Rossi lever
gun and a Handi in 357.        Thanks    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lee alox lube
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »
Doug

I use it on several diffrent bullet styles , does a fine job as most of my bullets are shot as-cast without sizing , one of my fav is the Keith style in .41 cal that I shoot from my 41 GNR @ around 1800 FPS and have not had a leading problem .

I put 50 or so in a old 20 oz pop bottle , pour in a little alox and shake it up till their all coated , then dump the bullets on a peice of wax paper , stand them up & let dry .

stimpy

PS --- I'm going to move this over to the cast bullet forum , it will gwt better traffic from the cast guys there .  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Robert357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »
I have used it mostly on cast rifle bullets and worked on techniquest that apply it as evenly as possible for use in target shooting of reduced load cast lead bullets.  Like most Lee products it does a great job, as long as you recognize the limits of its use.  The bullets I have used it on mostly were not the micro-grove bullets, but the conventional grooves designed for traditional lube.  (I have also tried traditional lube, but that is an even bigger mess.)

I feel that the product works very well (i.e. reduce barrel leading) and have used it with both all lead and gas checked bullets at different velocities.

The biggest problems are finding a suitable tumbling container and or figguring out how to "dip & dry" the bullets.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
thanks for the answers guys, my "container for applying" alox is a orange plastic pumpkin.Stole, er borrowed it from the wifes Halloween stuff. ::)   Doug   
a armed man is his own master

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:11:30 AM »
In my opinion it works as well on non tumble lube designs as its does on the tumble lubed designs but in my opinion again it only works fair on either.
blue lives matter

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
The biggest problems are finding a suitable tumbling container and or figguring out how to "dip & dry" the bullets.

The plastic containers for Cool-Whip dessert dressing works well for tumble lubing with the liquid alox.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:44:06 AM »

I use an empty 2 lb peanut jar - the square kind.

To dry I use a variety of pie pans (yard sale variety) and set each one upright, or sometimes not.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
I use butter tubs to apply the alox and a large cookie sheet and 6 plastic ammo holders with the bottom sanded off each cookie sheet will hold 500 bullets then put them out in the sun for a few hr. and they are ready to load D Crockett

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »
Is there a need to relube the bullet after sizing it?  The Lee sizer instructions say to lube rifle and hot handgun bullets again after sizing.   I use the Lee alox to coat the bullets after sizing them to cover the bare part but I am not sure it is necessary.  I figure if it helps prevent leading, why not.   It is easy enough that I do it anyway.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
what I do when using liquid alox is I lube 50 or 100 bullets unsized the first bullet I size is lubed then I size 5 or 10 unlubed then 1 lubed one that will let the bullets go threw the sizer easy and when I am done sizeing them I lube them all ( see post above ) been doing it that way for a long time D Crockett