Author Topic: tracer rounds  (Read 534 times)

Offline wvdad

• Trade Count: (0)
tracer rounds
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
Anyone ever use a road flare or parts of a road flare for a mortar round?
I have a 1.070 bore and a 1.720 bore and would like something to add a colored flash to it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: tracer rounds
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »
Here in Viginia, we have laws that will let you PAY for the forest fires you help start.   :o

This gets quickly into borderline for this forum; but let's see where it goes.....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline wvdad

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »
Well, I wouldnt do anything careless for sure. Most of the time I am shooting over water. Thats why I am asking before actually doing. ;D

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
It's really probably none of my business to respond to the question about road flares/RR fusees as mortar projectiles but I believe this was brought up a couple years ago and was quickly squashed.  IMHO.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
I haven't tried this in a real cannon, but I shoot light sticks out of my potato gun.  I activate three of them and fasten them together with clear package tape. I use a plastic grocery bag as a wad.  The bag will only go 10 -15 feet, but the sticks will easily go higher than any of the fireworks or rockets you see shot on the Fourth of July.  The good news is you can retrieve them and the bag and relaunch them as often as you like.  You have to be careful, as you would with any high velocity projectile, but you won't start any fires with these 'tracers'. If the ball or projectile had a hole in which you could insert a light stick, it would be visible at night. I'd put it away from the powder charge. On a big cannon, you could even use clear tape to fasten one to a ball. It would only cost a dollar to find out. I've never read of anyone else doing this.

I posted on an earlier thread about using kerosene or colored water escaping through a hole to make a smoke trail. This was used in early amateur rockets, and aerobatic jets to generate a smoke trail. The projectile would have to have two holes, covered by tape during firing. Blast or wind speed would remove the tape, allowing air into one hole and forcing a stream of liquid out the other. The liquid stream would be turned to an aerosol by the high velocity. The 'smoke' would be white unless some colored dye was added to the liquid.

Both ideas are cheap and non fire hazardous.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
The use of liquids in artillery shells as suggested above were used in early 37MM incendiary munitions

to take down dirigibles during WWI ATF may take a dim view of kerosene out of any PROJO.   
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »
They really used kerosene in artillery shells in WW1?  I'd love to hear how that worked.

I guess that leaves colored water, antifreeze, and light oil.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
New guys we have always put this type discussion off limits  and out of the scope of this board,  CW hinted up thread, now I'm saying Topic closed!