Author Topic: OT - Earthquake...  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
OT - Earthquake...
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
 Just had a 5.0 earthquake centered about 10 miles from me. Best one I've felt for a while. Felt like a bomb going off under my yard...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: OT - Earthquake...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
The one near Inglewood?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
 Yes. I guess it was only about 6 miles from me (but they're saying it was 8 miles underground).

That's the first bigger one where I've been outside and standing up when it hit. It actually felt like I was going to be lifted off the ground for a split second. We had some pictures and trinkets fall over in the house. Some stuff fell off shelves in my garage, crushing a vintage Crosman air pistol box I was saving.  >:(

I think earthquakes are really neat as long as nobody gets squished...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »
Lived for too many years in Long Beach and Paramount area. Went thru a few really good ones, 7.0 and above, always did like them, as long as nothing or nobody got hurt. Sometimes it felt like the concussion from a heavy field piece firing, all the action, 1/10 the noise! (To stay semi-on-topic!) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
I'm guessing there are no active mines in your area.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:14 AM »
Just had a 5.0 earthquake centered about 10 miles from me. Best one I've felt for a while. Felt like a bomb going off under my yard...

I can remember being taught about that in HS - 1964.  Someday y'all are going to slide into the ocean!  :o   ;D

Glad you could enjoy it and not be devistated by it! 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:44:03 AM »
 You kinda get used to these seismic events when you've got an active volcano like mine in your back yard...

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:49 AM »
I think earthquakes are really neat as long as nobody gets squished...

As Tim said, it's only a matter of time before a whole section of the Pacific Coast heads further west into the sea like a giant cracked surf board, maybe an ark a la Noah would be a good thing to have in your backyard. :o
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:21:25 AM »
... it's only a matter of time before a whole section of the Pacific Coast heads further west into the sea ...

Well, it's actually moving about NNW and, in about 6 million years, San Francisco will be a hundred miles off shore and LA will have closed off the Golden Gate.  Unless the fault line moves east of the Sierra.

I think I am not going to worry about that part of it.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »
... it's only a matter of time before a whole section of the Pacific Coast heads further west into the sea ...

Well, it's actually moving about NNW and, in about 6 million years, San Francisco will be a hundred miles off shore and LA will have closed of the Golden Gate.  Unless the fault line moves east of the Sierra.

I think I am not going to worry about that part of it.   ;D

William Shakespeare,   King Henry the Fourth, Part II

O God! that one might read the book of fate,
And see the revolution of the times
Make mountains level, and the continent,
Weary of solid firmness, melt itself
Into the sea!

Man proposes, but God disposes; at least hedge your bets, and get yourself a canoe with a couple of paddles. :D

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
Man proposes, but God disposes; at least hedge your bets, and get yourself a canoe with a couple of paddles. :D

Actually I have two canoes and almost a dozen paddles.  I am prepared.   ;D

Unless the roof collapse squashes them.   :-\
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
 "As Tim said, it's only a matter of time before a whole section of the Pacific Coast heads further west into the sea like a giant cracked surf board..."

Huh?

This is the market about 5 blocks away where we do most of our shopping, and the Starbucks down the street that my Wife frequents...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_12392665?source=rv

Hopefully the Spam survived; it's time to stock up on canned goods.

"Weary of solid firmness..."

Having been in earthquakes where the ground feels as if it's turned to jello, I never "weary of solid firmness."  :)

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:57 AM »
Is there anything that anyone could mention that you wouldn't have an example of in your workroom?  I suppose asking for a photo of a stuffed armadillo would be way to easy, so how about a Sherman tank, that might pose a problem, but if you had a pic posted in seconds I can't say that it would really surprise me.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:56 AM »
Victor3, your "backyard volcano", is that a "Thundermug", 1/2 way buried in your back yard? You must have very tolerant neighbors! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »
I think I am not going to worry about that part of it.   ;D

George, from the looks of Victor's "backyard volcano", all you have to really worry about is:  exactly which neighborhood is that bowling ball going to impact.  We have studied those flames and studied  Webleys'  mortar flames too, and have decided they are of the same type.

A little more POP with Petrol, eh Victor?   ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
Is there anything that anyone could mention that you wouldn't have an example of in your workroom?  I suppose asking for a photo of a stuffed armadillo would be way to easy, so how about a Sherman tank, that might pose a problem, but if you had a pic posted in seconds I can't say that it would really surprise me.

No, I don't keep Army the armadillo in the shop. He stays in the den. :)

Still aint got no tank...

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
 A little more POP with Petrol, eh Victor?   ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

No petrol popping permitted on the premises. :)

Just burning the contents of a very old 1# cardboard Pyrodex container. It was swelling at the base and didn't look like something to keep around...

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »

No, I don't keep Army the armadillo in the shop. He stays in the den. :)

Still aint got no tank...

OK Victor, this photo of an armored rat gave me the best laugh I experienced all day yesterday. If you're not pulling my leg, and you actually keep this "curio" inside your house, then your wife can only be described of, as a saint.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 02:16:12 AM »
 "an armored rat..."

Army (actually spelled "Armie" he's telling me now. Who knew?) is very offended by your description of him.

Care to retract that before I give him your address, Mr. J?

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
I refuse to retract, but I'll give him a choice; It's either an "armored rat," or a "four-legged lobster."

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 02:43:08 AM »
Too bad his name isn't Sherman...all bases would be covered....

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »
My wife would love to have a pet armadillo.  She has seen a couple of them critters here in Mississippi and likes to go out and try and catch them.

She needs no more pets.  We already has 2 dogs, a cat, two ferrets and 25 or so scorpions and spiders.

Yes...it reads scorpions and spiders.

But I like your pet much better Victor.  No mess.  Just dust and go.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 01:58:01 AM »
I refuse to retract, but I'll give him a choice; It's either an "armored rat," or a "four-legged lobster."

Okay, I have to come clean here....

I ddo have a crackedd surfboardd, but Armie the armaddillo's picture came to me in a PM from a modderator who's name I can't ddisclose.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »
GLAG

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »

I have armadillos in my yard at night, along with other wildlife. Here is a picture of tracks near my blacksmith shop that were made the same night. From left to right, Possum, two coons and an armadillo. There's also a gray fox track in there mixed with a coon tract.

From earthquakes to armadillos: amazing.

Max

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »

Okay, I have to come clean here....

I ddo have a crackedd surfboardd, but Armie the armaddillo's picture came to me in a PM from a modderator who's name I can't ddisclose.

GLAG

Ooohhhh, now I get it, double teamin' me; as Curly would have said: "A subterfugeee!"
DD, how does it feel to have your cohort attempt to blow your cover with this cruel clue: "I ddo have a crackedd surfboardd, but Armie the armaddillo's picture came to me in a PM from a modderator who's name I can't ddisclose."
What treachery, and besides; the way things have been lookin' lately, even Cat himself might say that this clue isn't necessarily pointing to the guilty party, in fact he might even go so far as to say that the attempt to do so was "idoitic."
Yeah, it sure does feel good to get a shot off at both moderators in one post, but now I better hurry to edit one of my own recent spelling blunders before one of them jumps on it with both feet.

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
Huh? What?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »
Huh? What?

Read between the lions.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
Huh? What?

Read between the lions.   ;D

I'm glad somebody got it, I swear I haven't even visited the brewery today.......................yet.