Author Topic: Rangefinder recomendations?  (Read 572 times)

Offline WARPhEAGLE

• Trade Count: (0)
Rangefinder recomendations?
« on: September 17, 2003, 03:19:31 AM »
I am looking for a rangefinder, to use for bow and gun hunting. Can anyone give me some advice based on your experiences? I am not wanting to spend over $250-300. Mostly what I have looked at are Nikon and Bushnell. Are they about the same? The Bushnell scout looks good to me based on small size, anyone tried it? Any comments?
TIA

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »
Warpheagle,
 I had a Bushnell rangefinder for a while and wasn't overly impressed with it. The Leica rangefinders are comparable in price to the higher end Bushnell's ($400) but the features and their clarity are head and shoulders above the bushnell's. Think about it. If you can get Leica binoculars for the same price you would pay for bushnell binoculars, which one would you choose? The Leica's use the same glass that they use in their binoculars and with them you are getting a very clear, sharp 7x instrument. I know it's $100 higher than you are thinking about spending but it is well worth the extra funds and I don't think you would ever regret the expense.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 12:09:14 PM »
I have Leica's and love them.  Shop around.  I got mine for 300.00 new. But sometimes you can get demo's etc...  Just like binoculars . . . if you know you are going to use them a lot go for the best.  In a couple of years you will be glad you bit the bullet when you did.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 06:15:42 PM »
All reviews I've seen done that compared the Bushnell range finders to the others even the Leica showed the Bushnell out performing them all hands down. For a similar range rating the Bushnell read further. While I've not made such comparisons myself and cannot comment first hand about it I do have a couple of them. I have the YP-1000 and the Camo Scout model. I highly recommend both but for a combination bow/gun RF the Scout is in my opinion the way to go. So compact it will fit in a shirt pocket and yet reads well out to 650-700 yards and down as close as 10 yards.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 04:41:49 AM »
I own a Bushnell YP800.  It works great.  My only complaint is that the readings are in black, whereas the Leicas are in red, and thus much easier to read.  However, I THINK, and I might be wrong, but I think that the new Bushnells have red readings.

Zachary