Author Topic: 204 gr cast bullet in a 357 Handi?  (Read 420 times)

Offline c_latrans

• Trade Count: (0)
204 gr cast bullet in a 357 Handi?
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:38:32 AM »
I hope I've posted this in the right place.  I have a Lyman mold, I believe the number is 358315, that drops a 204 grain bullet using ww.  I use this in a 357 Herret, but would like to try it in a 357 mag Handi rifle.  Is this too much bullet for a 357 mag.  Any recommendations for powder.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks, Dale
It sucks to grow old, but it's still better than dying young!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 204 gr cast bullet in a 357 Handi?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
I normally shoot the RCBS 200gr. bullet in my Handi (chamber lengthened to take max brass) and my Browning B92. Any of the slower pistol powders will work fine, lately i've been using Lil' Gun with good results in both. BTW, in the Browning I use 38 spl brass, and load to the same OAL as a 357 mag. Have to do that to get it to feed, in your handi it won't matter. Those have really long throats, if you seat the bullet out to touch the lands you might not have any left in the case. Load accordingly.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 204 gr cast bullet in a 357 Handi?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
There are hundreds of threads on the 357Mag Handi in the H&R Centerfire rifle forum, use the search selecting just that forum from the list, you'll get lots of hits, 200gr cast bullets are very popular, many use 360 Dan Wesson brass or even shortened Max brass to get a little closer to the lands, or just hand ream to Max, it's an easy rechamber for anyone to do.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain